i am burial

Four Tet ‏@FourTet 1 Jun
I am not burial
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Four Tet ‏@FourTet 1 Jun
still getting about 400 messages a day from people asking if I am burial

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Hyperdub is preparing a new Burial EP for release on December 16th.

Though track titles and info have not yet been announced, a Cargo Records distribution email reveals the mysterious UK producer will drop a three-track release later this month. It'll come on vinyl and CD with the catalogue number HDB080, with a running time of 28 minutes. Burial's first release of 2013, it follows Truant from late last year

Trillhouse

utubes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xd3Ch53PxBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M1bb2JakOmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zY0FLh2EIfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

datwun

Rival Dealer is sick, like some tribal afro hauntlogical jungle euphoria thing.
One of the others sounds REALLY Baroque...

tyranny

Not feeling the new bits at all really. Thought the audio I heard last night was a hoax initially, so maybe that's coloured my perception of it.

But like, whatever about making tunes that are essays in the mimetic reconstruction of pirate radio, and that have a frailty and sweetness to them that's congruent with the primitivity and rawness of the hardcore, jungle and garage blaring out of passing cars tuned in to london pirate radio that were supposedly his original reference points, and whatever about that curious aesthetic / emotional nostalgia that he's always nailed, this is just pants.

"Rival Dealer" sound like that awful prog breaks crossover stuff from the very early 00's; would fit right into a Sasha / Zabiela / Hybrid / Way Out West / Deep Dish set from back then. In fact it reminds me of an old Alistair Whitehead / Dave Seaman mix cd I got free with Mixmag in like 97 or so, except recorded off a badly tuned radio. I do like the bits after about the 5:24 minute mark, the first half though, awful.

And one of the other tunes sounds like a Coldplay live dvd run through a load of guitar reverb pedals.

I mean, fine, if you take him as a musical historiographer then it's entirely consistent with what happened to mainstream superclubby 90's dance music in the end. But if you take him as someone whose early work was an almost Quixotic resistance to that trajectory of music becoming clean, polished, clubby and sacrificing vibes on teh altar of technique then what the hell is this?

Drawing the critical attention back to the swing of El-B's drums, to Steve Gurley's drums, at a time when garage was "the last secret in dance music" and while dubstep was creating a sonic context in which those drums would be able to reemerge was a heroic achievement. Being able to back that up with the conviction that jumps out of those early interviews with Blackdown is entirely another, and he'll have a very special place in my heart and in my record collection for those two things alone, but I really viscerally dislike that "Rival Dealers" thing on first listen.

Of all the genres that don't need critical reappraisal, trancy prog-house / nu-skool breaks isn't one of them. The clinicality of that sound just doesn't lend itself to Burialisation, nor indeed was the music itself ever (in my opinion) content-rich enough to lend itself to deconstruction in his style.

datwun

It's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor innit. I don't hear prog house, I hear him going back to like 80s new pop and stuff, Blue Monday drums and stuff. It's very very 'hauntology'y, almost that Ariel Pink think of playing old pop songs through bad radios. I dunno, it's very border line, but when ever it kind of steps over that line some weird noise shoots through, or a stab of a reese bass, of 2 bars of muffled 2-step. Certainly the most IDM of his stuff I've heard, but if you take it on that level it's good!

Of all things it kind of reminds me of Drake going Disco on Hold On, We're Coming Home

Last edited:

droid

He's using the exact edit of hot pants that 2 bad mice used on Bombscare. Secondhand sample maybe, but an odd choice.

Actually on second listen that tune is stunning, the last section "you are not alone" especially. Goosebumps.

connect_icut

I'd noticed a slight 80s pop element on the last couple of EPs but he really amps it up here. That's not a problem for me but I can see it alienating a lot of people.

The title track really does have a Godspeed/emo post-rock bombast to it.

Think the dialogue is bit overdone here. That "constellation" bit is very "Little Fluffy Clouds" and the transgender thing is... interesting.

On the whole, I don't like it as much as the last one but it's definitely a brave and unique collection of music.