Local Authority

bitch city
you really think?

there's been barely any progression since untrue, other than the leap to the more housey and euphoric street halo and then the compositional nature of kindred but he's still using the same musical ideas. if hes going to go down the route of 15 minute songs it would come across better if they were a cohesive piece, rather than being bound together with ambience, and if he developed on his previous sound. i think four tet corrupted him.

all of his previous work had an element of storytelling to it and the new single just sounds like dancefloor fodder that overstays its welcome. ill have to give it another listen in a bit though.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
you really think?

there's been barely any progression since untrue, other than the leap to the more housey and euphoric street halo and then the compositional nature of kindred but he's still using the same musical ideas. if hes going to go down the route of 15 minute songs it would come across better if they were a cohesive piece, rather than being bound together with ambience, and if he developed on his previous sound. i think four tet corrupted him.

all of his previous work had an element of storytelling to it and the new single just sounds like dancefloor fodder that overstays its welcome. ill have to give it another listen in a bit though.

hasn't he always produced long pieces and kode9 used to cut it up into individual tunes?

i really liked kindred

Local Authority

bitch city
yeah apparently that's how its always been, but i feel that they worked better as stand alone pieces. this new release sounds more like a sketch than anything else. aimless rambling

Local Authority

bitch city
also i think the fucker who i downloaded the rip from had the levels too high when he did so my version clips

its not what i'd expect (or want) from burial and that could be the problem, its a functional piece of music and something i'd play in a club. if that's the direction he wants to go in then i'll just have to appreciate it for what it is but compared to his previous work it lacks the emotional depth i require (need) from him

its like he doesn't love me anymore

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
I don't think paying for music automatically makes your opinion more valid than the opinion of somebody who hasn't.

neither do I but I think if you steal a low quality rip then your opinion is automatically 'worth' less (or even worthless)

after all, if you weren't prepared to pay for it you obviously don't hold the artist or their music in particularly high esteem in the first place

it was partly a tongue in cheek response to the 'burial doesn't love me' bit anyway. I doubt he cares for the opinions of people who steal his work.

then again he might not care what people who pay for it think.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Haven't been keeping up (or at least devoting as much time) to his recent stuff but the first EP is still peerless.

What he talked about in the blackdown interviews he nailed

e/y

^really enjoyed that mix, thanks agan benjy.

I still listen to both albums, especially the self-titled one, at least two or three times a month.

Russellchap

Beats 'n' pieces
The thing about burial is his music is original. The music he produces isn't about fashion it's about style an' things become unfashionable an' style doesn't by which I mean his music can't get old just tired. Talking of which his Truant/Rough Sleeper 12" sounds tired to me (no pun intended) maybe he should lay off the long track times.

CrowleyHead

It's interesting though as how he'll have these 5/6 minute songs, and the main section will be the first 80%, and then suddenly it'll switch into this new tune... I wonder if THOSE will be the album tracks or something.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Was just thinking that we're about due a new album but there's about an album's worth of stuff on Kindred and Truant/Rough Sleeper. So he sort of did release a new album last year, in a way

continuum

smugpolice
Haven't listened to this yet but a Rouge's Foam audio podcast must be worth a go.

There's also one on Night Slugs and Hauntology that'll hopefully be good.