luka

They thought they'd be laughing at Tim but it didn't work out that way. In the old days we'd say they got boyed lol lol lol

CrowleyHead

I actually meant to embed it at the point where he says "ITS DRUM AND BASS WHO CARES" but technology isn't suiting my sniping.

Leo

damn, you beat me by 15 minutes!

10th anniversary of "untrue", a pretty great look back.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Awaiting Luka's rejoinder!

As cynical as I've been about Burials rhetoric of angels in underpasses over the years, I must say I felt a pang, reading those quotes of his - that most rare of musicians with something interesting to say, and who made/makes music as interesting as those interesting quotes. Not to mention, of course, completely snubbing fame and personal notoriety - a miraculous act, in this day and age.

luka

ive slagged it off enough over the years. also the fact is ive never listened to it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And wouldn't it be fascinating to read an interview with him in 2017? What's he been up to, what music he likes, how he's coped with not embracing his fame, whether he regrets not doing so now his big moment has passed...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
ive slagged it off enough over the years. also the fact is ive never listened to it.

I'd expect nothing less. :crylarf:

Have I already said this in this thread? But: Burials music actually HASN'T aged for me, because it sounded completely out of time when it came out. It's too weird and distinctive to sound 'of a moment'. Nobody else ever really sounded like Burial, despite some shameless attempts.

Interesting to speculate, as Reynolds does here, as to the influence his melancholy sound had on hip hop/RNB.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
More good stuff. I love 'Weak Become Heroes', must listen to it today.

Isn't it perfect, somehow, that the one guy who does interesting interviews never does interviews? Maybe he used up all his good stuff in those first interviews (ditto his first albums)?

Numbers

I like the backside of his new single for Nonplus. It somehow takes off where the second half of the Zomby collab stopped, reformulating jungle into this kind of afterdark rainforest house --with vague, but militantly sexual politics.

luka

Corpsey, a poster to Dubstepforum, writes, “No way this album’s not going to blow. My mates who aren’t into dubstep [and] garage at all think it’s great. Guess it’s the vocals that grab people.” This comment sums up the general momentum behind Untrue, an album that’s well worth the hype.

version

Untrue was the last thing he did that I really rated. Everything after felt like it was made by someone else, there was something weird and empty about it. I still like some of the later stuff but he peaked with Untrue.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Can't disagree with that. It's like there are only really two MBV albums, Isn't Anything and Loveless. After Loveless there's nowhere to go. Untrue is a plateau, a local naximum. Since then he's been casting about for new sounds, producing minor studies. I do love Rival Dealer, but it's a tributary, a brilliant baroque extension to the main structure.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Poem about the k-punk interview:

Roll it out. Do it fast. Re-pitch
angelic echolalia. Bury glitches
in effervescing fuzz, burred susurration.

The far-fetched serendipity of that
encounter, as if the edifice were raised
solely to be the spirit’s haunting-house -

as rain and mist compress the streetlamp’s glow
into a beacon, beckoning and timeless.

Leo

I'm confused...double negative, doesn't “No way this album’s not going to blow." mean it's certainly going to blow? unless he meant "blow" as in "blow up" as opposed to "that really blows" (as in sucks).