firefinga

This post has nothing to do with Burial but since Dillinja go mentioned it gives me the opportunity to post what I perceive Dilli's finest hour:

CrowleyHead

Kinda reminds me of Future Sound of London 'PAPPY NU GINNY' except with more crackling.

See this is more like it to me.

Also, yeah, I don't care about if Burial makes the mistake of thinking Dillinja is good. Plenty of good artists like bad music, it happens.

All that said this single is pretty dull overall.

droid

Jesus. What a fucking mess.

We approached Burial a few years back with an offer to remix a classic '94 deep jungle tune as part of a remix/reissue 12". Went nowhere.

In retrospect I think we dodged a bullet.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sounds more like a pastiche of jungle/hardcore ala. what Zomby has done before than a reimagining ala. what he did with garage on those first two albums.

Any straight pastiche is always going to beg the question 'why bother?' unless you do it better than its been done before.

I felt the same way about the Special Request EP lately, although Paul Woolford has the skills to really pull off a convincing impersonation of Source Direct or whoever.

The whole area of pastiche is interesting actually. Cos when 'outsiders' (either in social or historical terms) attempt to 'do' jungle or funky or whatever, they can't help but get it slightly wrong. And I wonder why that is?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Some good comments in this thread. Rather disappointed that luka didn't savage Burial at some point this though

luka

I've done it so many times its like my party trick. People roll their eyes when it get started. Not this again

firefinga

The whole area of pastiche is interesting actually. Cos when 'outsiders' (either in social or historical terms) attempt to 'do' jungle or funky or whatever, they can't help but get it slightly wrong. And I wonder why that is?

Those people pay hommage to an (imagined, bc usually too young) Jungle past mostly - by using typical sounds and samples and such.

And then you have those people who try to emulate the original jungle to the extend they'd use the very same equipment from the early to mid90s to get it 100% right. It's a bit like the surf revival of the 1990s.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

On the bright side its a lot better than a lot of actual jungle, which is rubbish.

Remember when you folks thought Adam F - Metropolis was listenable? lol, good times.

droid

On the bright side its a lot better than a lot of actual jungle, which is rubbish.

Remember when you folks thought Adam F - Metropolis was listenable? lol, good times.

Stunning admission. Sends Matt's 'reggae was a bad influence on jungle' schtick into the shade.

You have to admire the willingness to express such perverse wrongness, even as it destroys the credibility of the past and future opinions of it's proclaimer.

luka

Probably my favourite ever Westwood moment and I've been following him for over 20 years. CrowleyHead doesn't tjink jungle is shit he was just lashing out in frustration.

It does remind me of when trilliiam had to leave t h e forum in shame after admitting he hates reggae lol