Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oooh you handsome devil!

(that pic of edwyn collins is quite something, by the way)

also, the kompakt lot are often immaculately turned out, superpitcher in particular-

there was a moment a few years ago (especially circa the 'she's a bitch' video) where that 'offworld' thing was coming back to some extent, when r&b was getting all futurist - the cover to missy's 'da real world' (posted gratuitously below) which i still think looks awesome...

also the andre3000 and (to some extent) snoop school of crimping and nice coats is kind of important- its a shame though that wearing nice coats has to be so indelibly associated with misogyny, in the whole pimp angle though that's been true since what, the '40s? i remember a good debate in a magazine ( i think it was in 'cheap date' though i'm not sure if i want to admit to reading that) between a group of 'rockers' and 'hip hoppers' (cough) as to who dresses better- a lot of the arguments of the latter were of the 'you look like a fag' variety and the former 'ha your trousers are wide' (both looked awful in the pics) but they did eventually agree on outkast. too much yellow involved there for my liking though.

Default dainty boys

>Kompakt

that's why it's called 'metrohaus' !

>sportswear/street

there is a link though between the look of miles (or the cover of on the corner with its pimpadelic street scene) and Earth Wind and Fire, and the sportswear look in bashment/grime/etc, and that is a/ the sheer garishness of the colours b/ the shiny man-made fabric futuristicness thing. you get close to some of these guys and you don't want to inhale cos they're probably giving off all kinds of chemicals like a new soaf.

D Double E looks so dainty and immaculate in head to foot purple. Bruza looks dapper with his stovepipe-redolent Dr Seuss cap. but others i agree look just hideous. but is quite extreme, a form of dandyism

Quote Originally Posted by jed_
    as little as i see of any of the cultural stuff i'm interested in on TV, BBC's Culture show still dragged out that old trainer fetish/collector thing for another sketch last week and, while i sighed at having to watch that one more time, i knew i'd still have to watch it countless times again. It seems to me to be completely manufactured in every sense.
    Not sure what you mean here, about manufactured. manufactured, in the sense that all fashion and hype is manufactured, yes. do you mean more manufactured than some other collector-fetish?

the science I was referring to was the sports/physics science in a lot of sneakers, in line with the futuristic themes.

And the futuristic stuff popped up elsewhere, there was Busta and Missy doing cyber-goth a few years ago, as well.

and yeah Owen, good point - the fabulous coat thing is so symbolically linked to pimping - but the gender politics are quite weird there.. almost like "see, I'm not girly, just because I'm wearing broacde.. I can still exploit women"

there's most certainly a metrosexual strain that runs through current hip-hop. without a doubt. when you've got guys in articles telling you to rotate your choice of kicks daily and clean that shit with a toothbrush (!), there's some serious attention to detail going on there. plus with the whole post-kanye/"fuck a throwback give me a button-up" look, there's a definite push towards "dressing up", at least in the preppie sense. (all the fashion ads in vibe and the source are very baggy banana republic. it's as if the actual role of tommy h's clothes is finally coming home to roost.) i think if you're dismissing this while lamenting the sort of "james brown owns 70 custom tailored suits" or "new wave bands dressed so posh" thing, you're just not moving with the times.

also, yes, TI looks fucking fabulous and exerts a tremendous charisma that's got a lot to do with sexuality for me. (a lot of my lack of interest in rap recently comes from that, i think, the lack of an overpowering charsima. paul wall has nice teeth, but he's no TI.) when they dressed him up for that vibe cover story in those immaculate suits i was blown away.

i think i care about this shit so much because i dress like a hobo.

of course you can go to far on the smart suits thing and be paul weller which would be terrible.
    sportswear and hip hop casual has a funny history, the cover of paid in full for instance with eric b and rakim in gucci tracksuits, or run dmc, one of the best dressed hip hop act's deal with addidas and bringing out their own range of clothing onwards to jz and rebok nowdays.

it's at a bit of a nadir now in the uk cos it's all part of the same vaccum, sloppy trackies etc are cheap and easy and no problem to look after, it's same bag as ready meals and playstation imo.

what about wiley? his tracksuits are not sloppy, they're works of art!

Quote Originally Posted by luka
    what about wiley? his tracksuits are not sloppy, they're works of art!
    i like his jumpers

I've been wanting to mention for a while that I thought Riko was well horny in Aim High 2..
    ...disturbingly he began warning me against such feelings, as the clip filmed in the studio ran through.

shame.

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger
    the even more sticky area is to then deal with the role of female pulchritude in music (from the male het viewpoint)

it's obviously just as important, yet doesn't always i think have to be on the 'phwooargh, i'd like to...' level

like grace slick is just witchy cool... or Siouxsie...
    i've been thinking about this.

and yes you're right. in some ways its easier to reflect upon "male beauty", appreciate it for what it is, and pass on it :-)

distractingly sexy women in music! indeed that is a sticky topic. actually in the field of "alternative music" (excuse the shorthand) i think sexy girls are quite hard to come by. actually when i have a reaction it tends to be kinda swoony, imbued with ambitious romanticism. its almost always inspired by sound too, like for instance joni mitchell's "blue" or vashti bunyan's "another diamond day"

charismatic looking women in music?!? they almost always seem to be "unnattractive" to some degree, making the best of themselves, like Missy before she lost all her weight. kim gordon, who i don't fancy in the least, always looks cool. nico, well i'm sure olly craner probably finds her becoming, she leaves me cold, but stuns me with her elegance too.

of the punk girls its only the young vivienne goldman i find really fruity. have you seen that super-sexy photo of her and with john lydon in the background looking lascivious. she's divine.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    i've been thinking about this.

and yes you're right. in some ways its easier to reflect upon "male beauty", appreciate it for what it is, and pass on it :-)

distractingly sexy women in music! indeed that is a sticky topic. actually in the field of "alternative music" (excuse the shorthand) i think sexy girls are quite hard to come by. actually when i have a reaction it tends to be kinda swoony, imbued with ambitious romanticism. its almost always inspired by sound too, like for instance joni mitchell's "blue" or vashti bunyan's "another diamond day"

charismatic looking women in music?!? they almost always seem to be "unnattractive" to some degree, making the best of themselves, like Missy before she lost all her weight. kim gordon, who i don't fancy in the least, always looks cool. nico, well i'm sure olly craner probably finds her becoming, she leaves me cold, but stuns me with her elegance too.

of the punk girls its only the young vivienne goldman i find really fruity. have you seen that super-sexy photo of her and with john lydon in the background looking lascivious. she's divine.

i was totally obsessed by nico till i read that orrible book about her on her last tour.
    she was extremely gorgeous and powerful.

Last edited by minikomi; 20-04-2005 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mms
    i was totally obsessed by nico till i read that orrible book about her on her last tour.
    she was extremely gorgeous and powerful.
    i just got 'the end', fucking fantastic. nico, cale and eno. its a sonic wet dream if nothing else. i like it a lot better than the marble index. shes something special - i love doom girls.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    charismatic looking women in music?!? they almost always seem to be "unnattractive" to some degree, making the best of themselves, like Missy before she lost all her weight. kim gordon, who i don't fancy in the least, always looks cool. .
    pj harvey fits in here too, dunno though if your theory fits all though, i remember having quite a thing for danielle dax!!!
    as far as the bloke thing goes i used to have sylvian, bowie, ian bunnyman, pete burns and mozzer plastered over every squareinch of my bedroom and somehow i managed to idolise them without fancying them, must be something to do withe pathology of fandom , i am sure fred vermoral could make soemthing of it. there seems to me little to compare to these guys who were all attractive but more importantly made attractive music. those that make attractive music of whatever stripe are not the handsome devils of the past - now it'sbedroom bofffs or tracksuit princes. you can see why they tried to resurrect the new roms with romo, shame tthe bands sucked so badly. but christ can we see an end to sports jackets and jeans a la the strokes - surely someone out there can wear tweed?

i have friends who are obsessed by both pj harvey and bjork, but have never seen the attraction. well, i did with bjork, but it was only dancer in the dark that did it for me opposed to her actual music. and certainly that doesnt have anything to do with her fashion, she played someone going blind ffs.