The wit & wisdom of Frankie Boyle

rubberdingyrapids

what im saying is that while verbal abuse is important, all these stories i read lately are a bit like the boy who cried wolf. it just makes real racism get trivialised.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The whole concept of 'political correctness' has been an albatross around the neck of the liberal left ever since it gained currency, what, twenty years ago? The sad thing is that that old reactionary bogeyman, 'political correctness gone mad', is not without a grain of truth. Part of the problem, as you mention, comes from people rather piously and high-handedly getting offended on other people's behalf, often without bothering to find out whether any offence has actually been taken. Then you've got things like the photo of Brunel with his cigar Photoshopped out for the cover of a school history textbook, which is to do with influencing behaviour rather than trying not to cause offence, but comes from a similar place politically, I think. It may be a pretty trivial example in itself but I think it's worrying in what it reveals about the mindset behind it: deliberately falsifying historical fact in order to satisfy a modern-day ideological agenda. At the risk of sounding hysterical, you can't tell me there isn't something a tiny bit Soviet about that.

And now with media like Facebook and Twitter that encourage people to type the first thing that comes into their heads and broadcast it immediately to the world, the old right-wing whinge that "you can't say anything any more" seems to be becoming ever more justified.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And don't get me fucking started on the inviolable pedestal of unquestionable sanctity that religion has been elevated to in recent years. Grrrr.

Damien

Topical AND relevant:

see, that encapulates what I dislike about Lee, he is actually very funny here and makes valid points but then precedes to milk the bit for half the video, the last 5 minutes in fact, and it doesn't go anywhere, it's just the audience waiting for Lee to call Richard Littlejohn a Cunt. So frustrating.

I'm all for taking things at a leisurely pace, and I don't have ADHD or want everything spoon fed in a single line but fuck me....

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, meant to mention that PCGM is one of Lee's favourite tropes, of course. He massively exaggerates what people say about it to make a humorous point but then that's what comedians have been doing since the dawn of time.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
He used to make me watch this Dylan Moran stand-up show endlessly, and say "you work in a book shop, why don't you appreciate the brilliance of Black Books?"

It was very tedious, I must say.

craner

Beast of Burden
Last time I saw him, he was trying to get me into Stewart Lee, funnily enough. "The natural heir to Bill Hicks!" he said, with a serious expression pasted over his visage.

craner

Beast of Burden
"His intellectual riffs are like...poetry. Except funny!" he said.

I was dumb-founded.