Obama V. Romney

D

droid

Yeah, barring something drastic, it looks like an Obama lock in. Some reports of machine tampering in Ohio, but nothing major.

crackerjack

Yeah, barring something drastic, it looks like an Obama lock in. Some reports of machine tampering in Ohio, but nothing major.

Main problem in Ohio is John Husted seeking to invalidate thousands of ballots. Read yday there was supposed to be a ruling on that at 9am (which I guess is 3pm here). But can't find a mention anywhere today.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
O picks up a decisive electoral victory based on sweeping battleground states but popular vote, whoever wins it - probably (very) slight edge to O as west coast counts finish coming in - is a dead heat. so no surprises.

more importantly, or at least less certainly, Dems are going to hang on to Senate with a solid majority (as of now 56-44) if not supermajority to block filibustering. Dems also gonna pick a few seats in House tho not enough to make a dent in GOP majority I think.

meanwhile looks at least 3 of 4 states (MD, ME, WA yes, MN still too close to call) that had it on ballot are going to legalize gay marriage. oh and Colorado and Washington just legalized marijuana. not just medical, the real deal (1st states to do so). otoh, somehow Oregon failed to legalize marijuana, which is easily the biggest upset of this election cycle.

padraig (u.s.)

or in other words, country utterly + bitterly divided. so no surprises.

tbf to romney he just gave classy conciliation speech and his long boring trip through american politics is done. ryan meanwhile will be back I'm sure. on to 2016 for him, christie, rubio and jeb, when Dem candidate will either be old, tired hilary or some as yet determined non-entity, barring emergence of new star (Cory Booker/Julian Castro generation probably won't be read til 2020 or 24).

padraig (u.s.)

also - I'm not making this up - CNN's election coverage was sponsored by the American Petroleum Institute and Clean Coal lobby. no, really, I literally did not make that it up. granted CNN's election coverage is blindingly terrible - bloviating pundits (i.e. out of work lobbyists and other parasitic political class scum), stupid virtual maps to kill endless airtime - but still. but i guess it is fitting to be so brazen in era of super PACs.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, I had to go to bed, so I didn't watch any of it, but I was expecting a fun thread from you lot to read over breakfast this morning. What a let down!

IdleRich

IdleRich
So what do the Republicans do now? Is that the end of Tea Party influence in the party or will they move further to the right? Same old question I know but surely it became more urgent last night.

craner

Beast of Burden
Who knows? I have a suspicion, actually, that there is going to be a counter-coup by moderates, maybe not instantly or even soon, but certainly by the time the likes of Christie or Jeb are gearing up their election machines. I think that when Colin Powell very publicly bemoaned the near extinction of "his" type of Republican the other week (and what was so good about them?) he was acting as something of a lightining rod. Rice's recent high profiling was interesting and auspicious.

I think the GOP will become a battle ground between what remains of the disaffected, moderate, patrician, realist Repblicans from previous administrations and the libertarian/Tea Party tendency which will (I guess) be led by Ryan. An alliance of these tenedencies didn't bring down Obama and only ran him close because the President was unable to defend a record and was quite badly hit by "Libyagate". Neoconservatives are stuck between the two, and position themselves on an individual basis now: some are insurgent, some are establishment.

Just vague thoughts.

craner

Beast of Burden
I also think that all of the serious Republican presidential candidates were betting on this outcome, and would have been surprised (and disturbed) had Romney actually won. They will all be prepared, I think, and hit the ground running. Republicans still have Congress, which they will use to attack and undermine Obama. The Tea Party right (which seems to hold sway in GOP house organ National Review at the moment) will be virulent, but I think they will lose prominence and power after this defeat and the serial debacle of every single contender they produce. They will be brought off or domesticated or siphoned off in harmless (anti-tax pressure groups) and harmful (the return of militias?) directions. If they aren't, and Ryan is the next Repbulican candidate, then everybody is screwed.

Just speculating.

craner

Beast of Burden
This election was a lot like 2004. Everybody knew that Hilary was preparing the ground for a serious run in 2008 and everybody knew, before the election and in their gut, that Kerry was a loser. He only ran Bush so close because Bush was incapable of presenting his own case or defending himself.

craner

Beast of Burden
I suppose, also, that Latinos need to be a bigger part of the Republicans' future than they are currently willing or able to admit.