• Agharta

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Pangaea

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Dark Magus

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Benny Bunter

Filles De Kilimanjaro is borderline of course but is a great album and it feels like the start of something. Might have missed out a couple of live albums/bootlegs of course but whatever.

I've got no idea what I'm gonna vote yet, it seems kind of impossible to choose :confused:

Benny Bunter

Thinking this through...

On the Corner is funkiest, most 'modern' sounding one.

Bitches Brew is the most swampy

In a Silent way is the most exquisite and pretty.

Jack Johnson the most Rockin'

Get up with it is maybe the darkest of them all, but patchy and overlong.

The live albums are a headfuck but definitely repay patience, difficult to pick one of these though. Never really got into Pangaea/Agharta tbh

:slanted:

Leo

oh man, how are you supposed to decide?! i voted but could have gone with any one of four or five albums.

*pulls "get up with it" off the shelf*

CrowleyHead

ha you've chosen the only one in the list I haven't actually heard. I had assumed it was a lesser work, need to check it - its got more or less the same line up as 'In a Silent Way' right?

That was the first one I heard, Dad's Vinyl Collection. My 2nd Miles record after Milestones, which is my favorite Jazz LP ever I think.

Benny Bunter

Gone for In a silent way too. It is the only one that is completely perfect in its concept and execution, all the others have their scrappy sections but not Silent Way. Its certainly the most accessible and easiest to listen to anyway. And there are lots of amazing things about it:

Tony Williams' uncharacteristic metronomic drumming style. Miles really reined him in on this session to hypnotic effect. I guess its easy to see why he left the band soon after though.

That bluesy bassline riff on 'Its about that time' totally rocks.

The fact that none of the musicians had much of a clue what was going to happen until they started playing and recording the album.

Miles taking out all the chords from Joe Zawinul's composition, much to his consternation.

Miles' haunted stare on the cover photo.

The fact that they just cut and paste repeated a 6 minute section of music because what they hadn't recorded enough for a full LP. And no one really noticed.

John McLaughlin: God

All those lovely twinkly keyboards!

It is the best ambient album ever made.

Benny Bunter

While I would never say Jack Johnson is shit, its definitely the one thats most in thrall to Sly Stone and Hendrix, maybe less Miles' own thing. Some good meaty riffs in there. I actually think McMaughlin dominates the sound of that album and he isn't everybody's cup of tea I suppose.

My flatmate played me Sonny Sharrock solo album the other day that sounded amazing, I'll have to find out what it was.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Coincidently, I saw Jack DeJohnette & Don Byron earlier in the week.
One of the things they played was called 'Miles' and aped this sort of stuff.

I like Dark Magus best

jenks

thread death
I didn't realise just how many of these i had until i saw them listed. My first reaction was On The Corner because it was the gateway album for me into Miles. I also really rate Big Fun. Silent Way is in some ways the most perfect of these but not necessarily greatest. And I really think Jack J has some great moments on there. In teh end I think Bitches Brew but on anotehr day i could come up with an entirely different answer.

Benny Bunter

WAS IT THIS? quite menal

no but that one makes me think Pink Floyd can take their 'Great gig in the Sky' and shove it up their arse. So thanks for that.

Youtube has revealed it was the LP he did in 1991 featuring PHAROAH SANDERS, which really has no right to be as good as it is.

Any more Sharrock recommendations anyone?