what art is, fundamentally

luka

every technology is the partial realisation of its magical ideal.
the car wants to be a teleporter the telephone dreams of telepathy.
the painting wants to be walked into.

every technology is the partial realisation of its magical ideal.
the car wants to be a teleporter the telephone dreams of telepathy.
the painting wants to be walked into.

What about one of those spindly Giacometti figures. That's not seeking to immerse, it's seeking to be at large in the world, quite the opposite.

so you're well wrong. it's more about recreating matter and light according to one's will, a subset of which is immersive art.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like how 'technology' comes from 'techne', which means 'art' - given how they're generally seen to be sort of mutually opposed to each other these days.

luka

you misunderstand the giacometti. neither you nor droid are equipped to have this conversation though im afraid.

luka

the word enviroment is maybe misleading. but when something takes up your entire visual field it becomes an enviroment. the screen of your mobile phone is enviroment when you peer into it. not only visual. music opens up into enviroment.

D

droid

It's a glib and facile assertion. You may as well say that 'all art is about communication'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Art is about getting yourself talked about and getting attractive people to think you're clever and original.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the painting wants to be walked into."
If a painting aspires to be the thing it copies then what is the point of it? Which is only an argument against representational art and one with which I have some sympathy. But Zerzan extended that argument to all art by saying that it can only attempt to inspire the feelings which are aroused by a genuine encounter with something which is both real and sublime. I don't think that's true.

woops

is not like other people
Evoke this

nothing to actually add, just wanted to be the first in this thread to wonder if

'The Arts of the Future will be radical transformations of situations, or they will be nothing'

that's Guy Debord, that is.

the word enviroment is maybe misleading. but when something takes up your entire visual field it becomes an enviroment. the screen of your mobile phone is enviroment when you peer into it. not only visual. music opens up into enviroment.

Nonsense, the environment is the air you breathe, proprioceptive input, whether or not you want a shit, net velocity. You're a bit autistic, aren't you? Or at the very least you're trying to remake, invert in fact, the concept of environment to support your original shaky proposition, but not in a convincing way that would lead anyone to conclude even you believe what you're saying. As to whether or not I or anyone else is qualified, mine's a flat white and make it snappy.

Last edited:

luka

quite the opposite. youre a slightly dim electric bicycle salesman from just outside oxford arent you.