Albums of the year 2012

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When I said "nobody" I meant "hardly anybody".

Perhaps I'm wrong about that too?

My personal experience is that albums are now generally sources for cherry picking for playlists.

I would figure that as a 35 year old I'm more attached to albums than a 25 year old, let alone a 15 year old, but I could be totally wrong about that. I suppose young people are still obsessive fans of artists and would listen to an album by them repeatedly.

linebaugh

When I said "nobody" I meant "hardly anybody".

Perhaps I'm wrong about that too?

My personal experience is that albums are now generally sources for cherry picking for playlists.

I would figure that as a 35 year old I'm more attached to albums than a 25 year old, let alone a 15 year old, but I could be totally wrong about that. I suppose young people are still obsessive fans of artists and would listen to an album by them repeatedly.
I think there is still a strong album culture for younger people, but perhaps fewer artists than ever enjoy that privilege. Maybe its no different than in the past, but it seems as artists become more self conscious of themselves as platforms, multi hyphenate brands, any artist that doesn't regularly curate an entire lifestyle cant hold an albums length attention span.

linebaugh

younger generation also seems to be more conscious of social movements, waves, than I was when I was in highschool, so that may be part of it.

luka

i remember finding it hilarious when corpsey announced he was 'listening to the Gunna album'

luka

imagine corpsey earnestly sitting down to listen to an album by Gunna! 15 tracks of Gunna, one after the other, listening to every one of them. dilligently trying to formulate a thought or opinion about it.

Leo

I love albums. As an old geezer, I still buy them, and listen to them daily. And a trip to a record store will reveal that it's lots of younger folks who are behind the vinyl resurgence. college age guys picking up indie albums at record shops, and high school kids buying from places like Urban Outfitters.

it's nowhere near what it used to be, and streaming tracks and playlists is by far more common, but it's wrong to think buying and listening to albums is over.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
imagine corpsey earnestly sitting down to listen to an album by Gunna! 15 tracks of Gunna, one after the other, listening to every one of them. dilligently trying to formulate a thought or opinion about it.

You forget that this used to be my part time job

luka

no, no, i remember. i used to knock for you and say is corpsey allowed out to play and you'd say, despondenetly, no i have to listen to this new gucci mane mixtape this evening

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Definitely put me off rap music, actually.

Feeling duty-bound to listen closely to an entire Meek Mill mixtape.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think if I went back there now I'd say it has to be mostly singles reviews, with the odd 'important' album/mixtape.

It would secretly be just to make my job a lot easier, but I'd tell them it was because albums are an antique medium.

linebaugh

I think if I went back there now I'd say it has to be mostly singles reviews, with the odd 'important' album/mixtape.

It would secretly be just to make my job a lot easier, but I'd tell them it was because albums are an antique medium.
where at?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Wire

Also FACT and Crack Magazines, though I only had to review one album at a time for those ones.

The Wire was punishing because it was 6 a month.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It was always hip-hop

I have nothing bad to say about my editor, who apart from anything else was a saint for putting up with my whining bullshit

It was always sending stuff in either right on the deadline or after it, several hundred words too long

version

Do you remember when you posted your Future review and Luka turned into Lucifer, mercilessly dismantling it?