Albums of the year 2012

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I have tried to listen to Actress so many times and just can't figure out why everyone is so keen on him. The last time I had a serious interest in dance music was in the late 90s and I can't say as things have moved on much on this evidence.

Also, got bored of Cooly G on the third listen or so. It was so 1995 that I can only understand listening to it as a nostalgia trip. Total Rob Playford vibe with numb synth lines fading in and out and even simpler drum patterns.

Went back to Bill Evans. Sorry 2012, we're done.

woops

is not like other people
what i like about the actress album is that there are plenty of spacy bits, poppy bits, tracks with no beats.
it doesn't sound genrified to me. it sounds like he's not really caring about genres.
it's not going for boring 'dark' atmosphere

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I dont get Actress either... it sounds unfinished, unarranged and disorganised, and not in an interesting way. But lots of people like it, so fair play.

rubberdingyrapids

i liked RIP. it works for me as it has a 'blankness' about it. it doesnt do anything. it doesnt say anything. its just 'there', a space to be filled (and it lets you do that). what ambient music is supposed to be i thought.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
One thing I loved about Actress while I was doing my homework was his background as a kid trying hard to make it as a professional footballer then getting injured so applying himself wholly to music - music dripping with warehouse psychedelic ambitions and rave gravy. I just genuinely wish I could appreciate that music.

stephenk

the first two albums and many of the singles had a genuinely futurist feeling, the kind of looped rush of proper detroit techno - tunnel vision, beyond any rough edges or "lo fi" that people loved to dwell on, the tracks were self-contained, they didn't need to change much...the new album is different and i think lesser because he is indulging himself, both in the kooky paradise lost theme and the constant noodling.

before his tracks felt like sketches because they didn't change much, but they were going somewhere. and now his tracks still feel like sketches, but they change constantly, and yet go nowhere. they lack that focus that made him so appealing in the first place.

that said i do like r.i.p more than a lot of other albums i heard this year, i just loved the last two so much it represents a kind of comedown for me. i think "caves of paradise" is a cool track...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like this one off R.I.P., and at least a few others. I see it as a continuation of the same aesthetic he established on the other albums, only with most of the beats taken out. I can see people who want weird DANCE music might think its pointless, but I've always heard his music as being weird music full stop no comma...

I haven't really been keeping up with dance music this year so maybe its been drowned in irritating hyperbole but I enjoyed it on first listen.

Gombreak

...the kooky paradise lost theme

Ah, I'd forgotten about this. I come from the opposite angle in regards to it though. I think the joy of his other albums is how open-ended they are for interpretation- Splazsh and Hazyville both bounce about all over the place in terms of cribbed genres and theme. I felt like R.I.P was too restricted by that imposed 'narrative' woven through it, there was a storyline being expressed and we had to sit and follow it like it was a book reading, instead of this kaleidoscope of sound (R&B concrète? pitchfork you bastards) that as a listener I could pick at and take my own slant from.

Gombreak

One of the other things about Splazsh and Hazyville was that I had a different favourite song from it every other day, whilst I've never experienced that with R.I.P

rubberdingyrapids

i like RIP more than splash as it doesnt have the irritating distortion and faux lo fi FX all over it. plus theres something both empty but also so open about it that means every time i hear it again, its almost like the first time which keeps it totally fresh.

datwun

I really didn't listen to many full albums this year... Da Mind of Traxman and Bangs and Works vol. 2 were both great though!

2012 was far more defined by mixtapes for me.

LOVED the Champion mix for XLR8R - http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2012/02/champion
The big where he drops Mosquito Man from Lighter VIP was one of the biggest 'jawdrop' moments of the year for me, and when he replicated it at his AMAZING set at Butterz at Cable that was one of my rave highlight of the year, if not ever!

peak-o.gif

I'm the beardy brare with glasses on the left

I only discovered Beneath's mix for Blackdown this year, so I count it along with his Fact mix as one of the musical peaks of my year:

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/beneath.html
http://www.factmag.com/2012/05/07/fact-mix-328-beneath/
Both were pretty seminal as they led to us booking him for a rave!

Actually Blackdown smacked it as far as introducing new music this year! The Mista Men mix over at his blog soundtracked my exam term, I used it as an alarm clock and it probably stopped me from offing myself: http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/meet-mista-men.html

Really enjoyed the Emancipate EP by Narrows when it came out right at the beginning of the year - thought it a very auspicious start!

The single biggest moment for me musically of the year was Marcus Nasty's June 6 Rinse show. I listened to it as a podcast, on decent headphones just after my final exams, and when the bass came on for the Cause & Affect mix of Let's Go Back, I had the biggest musical epiphany I've had since getting in to dance music mid-2009. Apart from footwork, which took me a while to get into, there's not been a single sound which has developed in that time which is so distinct, so appealing, that an entire scene has formed around it.

Since listened to that mix I went on to track down nearly every track on it, branching out through artists' back catalogues, trying to piece together the topography and who's who of Jackin. I've listened to it maybe 50 or more times, and I now rate artists I learned about through there - Lorenzo, Hannah Wants, Tom Shorterz, Nick Hannam - as some of my favourite producers. I went from sustaining my interest in music by a combo of maybe 3-4 new fairly interesting 'UK bass'/funky releases a month + hunting for garage/bassline/grime/funky bangers which passed me by the first time around with my sets being maybe 30% new stuff, 30% stuff from the last couple of years, and 40% old classics, to be constantly suprised and amazed at the amount of great new jackin which comes out every single week, and playing sets which are 80%+ tunes from the last few months.

Lorenzo in particular's had maybe 30 - 40 absolute bangers to his name this year. I can't think of anyone who's come even close.

Last edited:

datwun

Yup! he was really good. Also note the guy with the giant flame thrower of a lighter near the stage.

ALSO: Me and Jambie will be going in on www.innacityfm.com from 6-8 this evening, on a BEST OF 2K12 TIP!!! Get locked, it'll be good! Requests on the chatroom or here and YES we will be playing Ephoria by Loreen.