What is the worst thing you've heard this year?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
jeez they put out Danjah, Cooly g & LV LPs this year. And the Fhloston Paradigm EP
Cant expect to like everything on Hyperdub now but they nail it when they do.

rubberdingyrapids

still not heard that king britt 12 but terror danjah will never make a good album, sad to say (apart from zipfiles which was fucking amazing)

e/y

Kode 9's a big fan of Junior Boys, right? A JB release on Hyperdub would be pretty cool. Fwiw, they put out what is one of my favourite albums of the last few years (Quarantine).

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
still not heard that king britt 12 but terror danjah will never make a good album, sad to say (apart from zipfiles which was fucking amazing)

Could say that for a lot of producers, even ones like TD. So many mediocre albums would have been killer EPs.

King Britt 12 was one of my favourites this year. Nice move from nine.

Didn't tempa or rinse put out some guitar thing this year?

rubberdingyrapids

rinse put out king krule. sort of jamie t/plan b meets i dunno, joe strummer.

actually, even though i think her vocals are awful (mostly), cooly g did succeed in making her sound into a proper album. wouldnt mind that one isntrumental. id be happy if kode 9 released some group like black dice or battles. that could be cool. not maximo park though.

Om unit

The death of trap. (been around since 2003 In actual "street culture" I.e music for drug dealers in "the trap") - its gone from being ironic to being valid dance music apparently. Some stuff is alright but meh..

The torrade of fucking boring dance records being hailed as some sort of new exciting wave of music when it's just generally emotionless media darling shite.

S

simon silverdollar

for me it's wiley, skepta and jme's 'can you hear me'. not just because of the fact that they're so keen to waste their talent on shit like this, but also because it's an archetype of everything i hate about the current dominant pop sound.

pop today, post-guetta, is all 'wahheyyyy we're having an AMAZING time!!!!!!'. it's so forced and relentless and desperate. it's like the musical equivalent of those people that go around with holsters dispensing shots of jagermeister at shit clubs.

rubberdingyrapids

all the stuff that sounds like it could have been made 10 or 20 years ago. not necessarily cos its shit, but just because i cant necessarily tell whats new and what isnt when its on mix shows. but ok, also because its a bit shit.

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure if it is (but possible) the worst, but certainly the biggest colossal epic disappointment was Cooly G's debut long player.

i'm sure words were exchanged here about it but i missed the conversation... anyone know around which page of the Funky thread it's on? i'm curious what was said...

trilliam

the bastardisation of trap defo left me with the sour face, flat out embarasssing

the way the music press go nuts about lil b, chief keef, and now this retard trinidad james at the expense of doing any real digging and finding out about ab-soul, big krit, currensy, kendrick lamarr (who dropped the closest thing to illmatic)

and george fitzgerald - child was one of the bangers of the year

crackerjack

the way the music press go nuts about lil b, chief keef, and now this retard trinidad james at the expense of doing any real digging and finding out about ab-soul, big krit, currensy, kendrick lamarr (who dropped the closest thing to illmatic)

We must be reading a different music press. I've read next to nothing on Chief Keef and absolutely tons on Kendrick. Which publications/websites are you talking about?

trilliam

my point was that it seems these days the only rappers getting deals are the almost cartoon-like larger than life, over the top ones, who usually have little or no rap skills

not that chief keef wasn't some of the best stuff i heard this year.

still for the uninitiated who think that is the beginning and end of rap it's a bad look.

i blame d hipsters, wasn't there some kinda thread about a rapper whose being gay was enough for the topic maker to be interested in him on here?

snm

e/y

Multiples posts about Krit in Spin, New Yorker and Pitchfork reviews of Lamar (9.5 + album of the year afaik in the latter), reviews of Ab-Soul album/tracks and multiple Curren$y tapes/albums in Pitchfork (arguably one of the widest read music sites around?) ≠ music press ignoring these artists, which is what you claimed.