Home CD player

Leo

my pioneer elite pd-59 cd player has served me well for about 20 years but now the cd draw always takes 5-10 tries before it opens, so i think it's time for a new one. anyone have any recommendations for decent home cd players? don't want a multi-disc changer, just a single cd player, and i don't mind spending a few hundred dollars. is a marantz or cambridge audio model worth it?

appreciate any suggestions.

you

unless you spend over 1k everything will have a 24bit internal DAC. So just get whatever looks nice :)

Leo

unless you spend over 1k everything will have a 24bit internal DAC. So just get whatever looks nice :)

really? hmm. yeah, definitely NOT looking to spend in that range. some of the $100 sony units etc. feel so crap, really lightweight and with shaky plastic draw. saw an onkyo that felt pretty solid and heavier.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I've had a Rega Apollo for a few years and it's an excellent bit of kit. In 2008 or so it was 600 GBP+ (got mine off eBay from some German hifi shop that was letting them go cheap) - now you can find them for a lot less as it's been superseded a few times.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I spent 250 on a lovely Arcam CD player a few years ago, you could probably get it for 50 quid on eBay now. This stuff is dead technology. I haven't used it since I got a squeezebox shortly after buying the bloody thing.

So my advice would be that perhaps now is the time to consider streaming technology, use a smart phone as a remote control... No looking back (and you can stream in CD quality in case the audiophile in you is concerned).

you

really? hmm. yeah, definitely NOT looking to spend in that range. some of the $100 sony units etc. feel so crap, really lightweight and with shaky plastic draw. saw an onkyo that felt pretty solid and heavier.

I can't remember ever seeing a player with a sub 24bit internal DAC.... they are all the same basically that's what I'm saying. Just get one with lots of outputs that feels nice.