trilliam

lol that fitzgerald track used to be my text notification sound, i always thought it sounded light n breezy as opposed to dark, ill try n provide some soundcloud links that might be more a long the line of what ur lookin for but i do wanna point out that wishing for a "dark funky" thing to emerge is a bit missing the point. i DO hear what you're saying on that one bass sound, i think thats just ppl rushing to jump on the wagon. i've heard great tracks by playtime and kismet which dnt even sound dark but still fit in with the general theme

jimitheexploder

I just mean darker than like Child for that Fitzgerald track. And its a kinda dark techy vibe rather than a full on darkside funky thing, which I'm still all for anyway haha. But all up for diffrent vibes in general. The thing about that T.Williams sound or whatever was that it kinda sat right between funky and tech house but also sounded like its own thing more than a lot of shuffling does cos it had a bit more bubble and swing to it, was a bit ruder etc. The shuffling stuff to me is pretty dark sounding to me cos its just that bass pulse, beats and techy overdubs but not rude or hype, its kinda slow and not very vibey with it either. Would be cool if it livened up a bit. Yeah dig out cool bits, I'm interested.

Last edited:

trilliam

i hear that, i liked a lot of the stuff t williams was pushing them times, but as a relative newcomer to house music in general (started properly listening to in 09) i dnt rele mind the fact that this is rele a house variant or even retread (or revival reimagined) where as im sure a lot of ppl r tired of the typical house sounds already. i got u all rong jimi ur a gd chap.

jimitheexploder

I do come across as a twat sometimes haha its something I'll try work on. But yeah cheers. I've been listening to house for years, inherited some cool old stuff when I stared DJing in like 98 when I was at school from my step bro and never really looked back. I was kinda bored of it until about 06/07 maybe. Minimal and well swathes of it burnt me out but thankfuly I found grime, dubstep and funky. Then a few years later some of those genres are turning back into house a genre which turned me to these genres in the first place. So yeah there is an odd tension between this stuff and me. I don't wana be dragged fully back there again by these genres which are an escape from it haha. But yeah good house is good house and I'll still like it if it moves me.

jimitheexploder

There sure is, I aint saying the Dark Sky track is any good, not keen on it myself its just really simular. I don't mind that Carnao beat at all. Just showing its a bit played out already to my ears since I've heard those sounds and vibes all over already.

Last edited:

whytea

I get what your saying, I mean although Boddika is unlikely to play that Carnao tune (i would be dissappointed if he did) but certainly were it to drop in a Swamp81 rave, most of the people there would get down the same and not bat an eyelid

jimitheexploder

Why would you be disapointed? Crossover is alright innit? Why would you get bummed out one way if Boddika played Carnao but not bummed out when Mark Radford plays George Fitzgerald or Dusky? Or Bashmore gets multi rewinds by Marcus Nasty? Just perseption and snobery aint it rather than the tracks? This is kinda why you can't win when you've been playing Lil Silva tracks or Champion tracks since they were released if you happened to play post-dubstep at one point and you aint playing catch up like Radford, Nasty and shuffling guys who are suposed to be cool now again for some reason. haha. Lets face it urban dance genres are on the back foot and playing catch up, digging house like its new again. I mean Clap Trap was picked up by Funky a full year after it hit everwhere else, Grime picked up on it maybe two years after that even. Battle For Middle You was a big track in even mainstream electro clubs a year before Marcus Nasty played it. Dusky got big thru a Swamp 81 show where Flo Jam got big. Child is on Aus music a house label that was out of touch and boring for years before this UK wave of house guys like Joy Orbison touched on it again. Maybe in the next few years Marcus Nasty and Marc Radford will play BRTHDJTT! and it'll be a legit anthem or something...

whytea

Why would you be disapointed? Crossover is alright innit? Why would you get bummed out one way if Boddika played Carnao but not bummed out when Mark Radford plays George Fitzgerald or Dusky? Or Bashmore gets multi rewinds by Marcus Nasty? Just perseption and snobery aint it rather than the tracks?

Not at all, its just I have been listening to Boddika (as instra:mental) since before swamp81 hype and I would expect something a little different.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't play it, but if I was going to go see Boddika theres a certain something I expect, if his sets moved more towards this direction I wouldn't rate him as much, even though I like the music if you get me

trilliam

Why would you be disapointed? Crossover is alright innit? Why would you get bummed out one way if Boddika played Carnao but not bummed out when Mark Radford plays George Fitzgerald or Dusky? Or Bashmore gets multi rewinds by Marcus Nasty? Just perseption and snobery aint it rather than the tracks? This is kinda why you can't win when you've been playing Lil Silva tracks or Champion tracks since they were released if you happened to play post-dubstep at one point and you aint playing catch up like Radford, Nasty and shuffling guys who are suposed to be cool now again for some reason. haha. Lets face it urban dance genres are on the back foot and playing catch up, digging house like its new again. I mean Clap Trap was picked up by Funky a full year after it hit everwhere else, Grime picked up on it maybe two years after that even. Battle For Middle You was a big track in even mainstream electro clubs a year before Marcus Nasty played it. Dusky got big thru a Swamp 81 show where Flo Jam got big. Child is on Aus music a house label that was out of touch and boring for years before this UK wave of house guys like Joy Orbison touched on it again. Maybe in the next few years Marcus Nasty and Marc Radford will play BRTHDJTT! and it'll be a legit anthem or something...

sigh

funky was already dead/dying when clap trap came out, was probably played by the djs because there wasnt enough real funky tunes coming out, same thing can be said for grime

producers in the 'non urban genres' are always trying to mine old grime and funky sounds, especially funky, the results r pretty hit and miss and im being generous there

ur acting like dusky, huxley, fitzgerald r the pre eminet producers in this ting that is simply not the case and u wud know that if u'd listened to even a small percentage of the mixes posted, their tracks will crop up ofc but why wudnt they

marcus nasty is not a premier dj in this particular scene either

i think u shud do a lot more listening and less talking

trilliam

djs like radford, circle, pioneer, funk mob, supa d, and to a lesser extent newer djs like teaser, scholar t, lee b3 have been playing house for years, some since before funky started and some right after it ended, whats happened in the past year or so is that now these djs and people who've been going to the events w/e are making their own productions, which ofc they're gna play along with the original house they listen to.

continuum

smugpolice
here's a new mix by storm, producer on audiorehab has made some bangers

Enjoyed the Storm mix above and the RS4 mix whytea posted.

Favourite tune from the Storm one is the first track. Easily his biggest production to date: Storm Productions - The Ride. Really reminds me of an Apple / Roska style beat.

Although I liked most of the RS4 dubplates on his mix it was Luke Larrel & Victor Reids' - Serious People which stood out the most. RS4 has done a good job of contextualising the tunes he plays against one another. I've heard Serious People loads of times before but his mix made me realise how good it really is.

Couple of other bits that have piqued my interest this week include the following Audiowhore footage from the Coronet. Some of the crowd shots towards the end are epic.

Then finally there is this tune that randomly was stumbled upon combing two of my favourite production teams Playtime Productions & Freight Train.

said

@ said

a lot of tunes in that r

1) bangers

2) house

3) played by a lot of these guys and make up the general listening.

there's no doubt in my mind b3 listens to popular house but his sets are mostly his own material / material being sent to him by fellow djs/producers and that's what he wants to push so fair play to him. his attitude might even be reactionary to this whole "no shuffling" creche/operation condor/"badman attitude" thing

i dunno why u imagined ppl wud disagree, the only thing i'd say is that the tunes in that vid r straight house. not "Uk bass" "post dubstep" etc etc

yeah i actually agree with you about the video... i guess it just reflects the ultimate uselessness of the uk bass term - at some point, quite early on i guess, it literally stopped signifying anything apart from 'house' but people (me included definitely) kept acting as if it actually was something meaningfully distinct sonically, even as it got criticized for its patent descriptive shitness.

I get what your saying, I mean although Boddika is unlikely to play that Carnao tune (i would be dissappointed if he did) but certainly were it to drop in a Swamp81 rave, most of the people there would get down the same and not bat an eyelid

this point from whytea is basically otm with regards to any kind of crossover, even though there are obviously distinct scenes. as you (trilliam) say: its all just part of a big uk wide love in with house where its possibly inevitable that bits from very different scenes - where carnao isnt playing boddika out and vice versa - come out sounding similarish.

i've got that storm mix on now.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
mark radford is absolutely going IN on rinseFM...
this movement is going places

hey man. so, i'm loving your energy here, it's exactly how i feel when i hear music i'm into.

i just wondered if you could explain a bit more about what is it you like about the audio rehab sound... how does it make you feel, what is it you like about it? had you heard much of this kind of house before or is this kinda new still? like house from the 90s, early 00s or is it this stuff?

fhuckface

I haven't checked Radford's show in a while, been 2 busy w/tunes. The thing that grates on me about this scene is the complete lack of vinyl influence though, fucking traktor & serato really do rule all. (seems to be the case in releases also)

RE: the x over thing...it's bound to happen tbh, when you got dj's like fitzgerald, dusky, disclosure, all being booked for things like EE, of course it's going to cross over it's inevitable. I wouldn't say those guys tunes dominate the sets of these DJ's though.

Haven't really checked any mixes or radio shows in a while, as stated above, but when I was I could definitely feel a sence of cohesion about certain DJ's sets, lance morgan e.g. very weighty, b-line, muggy, sort of feel.

really really really don't get the whole bashmore hype tho..such fucking throwaway garbage

got to say what really drew me into this sound to begin with was the way it bastardized the sound they were drawing the tunes from...most of the DJ's mix quickly, wheel-up tunes, bang belter after belter..not really giving a shit about the fucking crap, boring 'build' effect so many 'trad' house dj's seem to take as gospel...

that and it pissed off all the usual fucking ketheads in the raves, cause everyone gets hype and shouts when the tunes going off (like you're meant to)

fhuckface

also it wasn't being discussed at length by a load of people who distance themselves from the raves worried about 'where it's going' and 'where it fit's' in the poxy fucking nuum