Page 2 of 173 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuffling / House Music / Cutting Shapes

Quote Originally Posted by continuum View Post
    Footage from the Ava Word club night:
    Wow, party looks banging tho!!! Funny that a lot of the funky guys moved in this direction, but I suppose at the end of the day funky was half gully elements and half 'let's party and have a good time', and if you're looking for the latter then nothing coming of the 'bass' scene was gonna provide it. Wonder if these crowds could be turned on to jackin

Edit: Unrelated I assume?

EDIT 2: Also, the whole style which that JP article Benny linked talked about, BOY caps, Raybans, like, it's all so hipster!!! My theory is that "Swag" is where hipsters imitating street style, and street style imitating hipsters meet.

EDIT 3: this is apparently one of the anthems:
    Last edited by datwun; 31-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

why the obsession with hipsters? who the f*%# cares what "they" like/wear/listen to, etc.?

i think the shuffling thing's pretty cool - it's more interesting than the music it accompanies, anyway - and JP's article is good (the guy getting refused entry to cable quote is pretty amazing) but despite the obvious similarities, i don't think this owes anything to footwork.

the music isnt that memorable, the dancing is very cool (the camera man's encouragement, less so), but yeah, i dont think footwork has anything to do with it - theres other styles of dancing that are similar, which is why it might seem like that, but footwork is way too niche over here for me to think people have been watching the videos from chicago.

Quite a few people shuffling at the Jackin rave I went to in Birmingham! Works really nicely with the music, like one guy was just dancing normally, then kind of broke off into a shuffle at the drop. Shuffled me right into the bassbins lol. But yeah, if I could do it it seems it would be a really fun thing to do.

Isn't it just a derivative of that dance that started in melbourne years ago

a lot of confusion here

Quote Originally Posted by fhuckface View Post
    the whole 'anti foot shuffling' thing is a page made by old cunts who don't like the fact there's a new attitude they don't recognise in their party's. It's also clearly a cynical attack on a type of person who attends these party's that boils down to race & age.
    exactly what i thought.

Trilliam is also correct.

Luke Larrell & Majesty feat. Kele Le Roc - They Want You

Quote Originally Posted by fhuckface View Post
    the whole 'anti foot shuffling' thing is a page made by old cunts who don't like the fact there's a new attitude they don't recognise in their party's. It's also clearly a cynical attack on a type of person who attends these party's that boils down to race & age.

edit* and it's DEFINITELY not anything new, just trad euro house.
    What does it have to do with race?

Good mix from Ava Word residents Two Of Us showcasing the biggest tunes from 2012: https://soundcloud.com/educationradi...-radio-podcast

Loads of arguments on twitter yesterday about the hosts at these raves and why they're not needed blah blah blah.

So weird how this just repeats itself again and again really.

Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    Round, round, round we go...
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    What does it have to do with race?
    could be wrong, but arent the people they want to turn away mostly young-ish black kids?

does seem like the rifts that would previously take at least a few years to appear now appear in months though

I don't go these raves but I thought the shuffling thing is more of an age thing than a race one? As in it was the younger ones doing the shuffle stuff, but what do I know.

As for the MC argument I can see their point really. I could understand the MCs on Funky because of the rawness & grime influence in some of the stuff but why anyone feels the need to MC on this end of house is beyond me, makes no sense.

does seem like the rifts that would previously take at least a few years to appear now appear in months though
    Don't know about that. These raves have been around for ages now, just hasn't really been talked about on here much.