outraygeous

'To use one of my favourite club flyer cliches, the shuffle house scene is "grown and sexy". It's Moet, not Red Stripe; Ralph Lauren, not Carhartt Heritage. It's a racially-diverse, all-encompassing scene that might just be the genesis of a new club culture in this country. It might not be cool, but how many of us would have been into disco in 1977? How many of us were into garage the first time round? Cultural history is always written by those who weren't actually there.'

This is the nail on the head, this is what is happening in London with the people that matter. Its not some Footwork / Juke fad that never took off.

I am just not a fan of the sound but people are back on the dancefloor, if you are scared of getting pushed a bit or your trainers dirty, go home. Or go elsewhere, good to see a bit of energy and passion in these stale generic musical times.

FIREMANSAM

Hey all,

Posted on here a little bit before but lost my details...

But anyway, yeah I've noticed the changes described here in Bristol with the "urban" crowd who seem to always pretty much follow the trends in London or Brum. First it was Jungle, then Garage for ages, then Grime, then Funky and Bassline - now Road Rap and/or House.

Was listening to a this set from a Brum House / Funky DJ who puts on raves at an 'upmarket' place in Bristol city centre that usually hosts Road Rap PA's, a bit of Grime or the more general Urban / RnB kinda stuff... The set was going off, witnessed a similar thing at the same club - in this set Bashmores 'Au Seve' causing multiple reloads.

I think these UK Bass house guys like Bashmore, Eat's Everythings, Shadowchild (even, maybe) etc. come into it somewhere.

We had my mates House promotion in Room 2 at our Bashment dance last time, that's aimed squarely at a house crowd that would understand Bashment, that's not exactly common of the bigger 'house purists' raves.

But yeah this is a thing, I like some of the big bassline kinda tunes, just waiting to see if this mutates into something properly UK though.

Guess see how my mates house rave with Mark Radford goes.

whytea

Hey all,

Posted on here a little bit before but lost my details...

But anyway, yeah I've noticed the changes described here in Bristol with the "urban" crowd who seem to always pretty much follow the trends in London or Brum. First it was Jungle, then Garage for ages, then Grime, then Funky and Bassline - now Road Rap and/or House.

Was listening to a this set from a Brum House / Funky DJ who puts on raves at an 'upmarket' place in Bristol city centre that usually hosts Road Rap PA's, a bit of Grime or the more general Urban / RnB kinda stuff... The set was going off, witnessed a similar thing at the same club - in this set Bashmores 'Au Seve' causing multiple reloads.

I think these UK Bass house guys like Bashmore, Eat's Everythings, Shadowchild (even, maybe) etc. come into it somewhere.

We had my mates House promotion in Room 2 at our Bashment dance last time, that's aimed squarely at a house crowd that would understand Bashment, that's not exactly common of the bigger 'house purists' raves.

But yeah this is a thing, I like some of the big bassline kinda tunes, just waiting to see if this mutates into something properly UK though.

Guess see how my mates house rave with Mark Radford goes.

is this what your referring to?

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?438710

was gna check it out for a laugh were i not going to Theo Parrish

continuum

smugpolice
Few more big tunes:

Shea Burke - Lonely Travels

Duke Dumont - The Giver

The Glass - Superhero (Komka Remix)

Reset Safari feat. Verse - Like A Drug

wise

bare BARE BONES
it does look fun, everyone looks like they're off their heads and that dance they do just looks like how you dance when you're off you face on MDMA and you don't care what anyone thinks, no?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Lots of very fit girls

wise

bare BARE BONES
I take back that last statement the Hannah Wants tunes are much more Garagey the Shuffling tunes are more Jacking

continuum

smugpolice
this music would be better called Jackin House, the beats and blips & blops sound a lot like old acid jack tracks.
Is there any cross over between this stuff and Northern Jackin? apart from Au Seve that is.
The new Hannah Wants mix has tunes that don't sound far off this stuff you're posting Continuum

http://soundcloud.com/902musicgroup/010-mixed-by-hannah-wants

There's definitely crossover between the two scenes.

Most obviously is the bigger tracks that both sets of DJs play. Tunes like Au Seve as you say and others such as Pirupa - Party Non Stop feature in just about any House DJs set at the moment though.

Hannah Wants is a bit of an anomaly. She plays at Jackin' nights generally but doesn't really play that much Jackin' imo. Her roots appear to be in Jackin' but she clearly wants to take the sound elsewhere. Ultimately that's what makes her such an exciting DJ. Whenever she puts up a new mix on Soundcloud I always find myself looking forward to hearing it. In many ways Tom Shorterz is similar and Marcus Nasty equally so but in an inverse way.

The "Deep House" records that are being posted in this thread differ in one fundamental way however in that they are slower. Jackin' is around 128-130+ bpm. The aforementioned Deep House records are more toward 120-124bpm.

Last edited:

datwun

The Birmingham sound (Hannah Wants, Tom Shorterz, Lorenzo) is more garagey as a rule - 'deeper', while the Leeds sound (Nick Hannam, Tom Garnet) is more electro influenced and 'dirtier'.

Some of the bass lines on this shuffling stuff do remind me a bit of jackin, though the drum patterns seem to have quite a bit less punch. Also in terms of sound scape, I feel the shuffling stuff is a bit more polite, classier, closer to international deep and tech house etc, with less of the 'ardcore silliness, big bate samples, general bad taste of jackin.

But yeah, obviously both scenes define as house, both scenes will go mad to Au Seve or Jamie Jones tracks, and rather than hard and fast boundaries what you have are kind of amorphous spheres of influence.

Hannah Wants has played a few big house raves down in London, and seems to have made a bit of a name for herself in the London house scene. Otherwise, as is usually the case, it seems that the London scene has very very little interest in anything happening north of Watford...

Also, if I'm gonna find the 'Shuffling' and new London house stuff I like, it seems easier to go via intermediary figures like Hannah Wants, whose own productions I love and whose taste is definitely towards the jump-up, banging, ravey end of deep house.

Last edited:

bobbylarkin

That anti foot shuffling campaign account beefing with eats everything on twitter :confused:

https://twitter.com/AFSC2013

@eats_everything you got shit in you're eyes if you can't see what's happening on the dance floors in Ldn. Fights, attitude, aggression, grabbing girls asses, screwing ppl, starting fights & generally acting the goon is ok with you? Cos they are 'havin fun'