glasshand

dj panic attack
One thing I think dtech has in its favour if it does become hipsters choice is all the DJs and producers and labels are so powerfully established already it would be hard for johnny come latelys to take advantage. The lack of media exposure has allowed the scene to grow and establish itself on its own terms. Least as far as I can tell.

this is a good point i reckon and is definitely what might make this different to the way things went down with funky.

i'm feeling that there are surely enough voices here to problematise any "discoveries" or rewriting that is almost inevitably about to happen (tho the only outlet for them might be blogspot/wordpress etc)

Last edited:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
i know this has already been posted but,

RELEASE PREMIERE @ BASEMENT/

all come down. i do work for the club and if you've not been before it was set up by the guy that made Studio 54 and they do very deadly alcoholic slushies. it will be fun etc. :cool:

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
I wasn't implying that the culture is untouched by outside forces, I was trying to address the packaging up of underground/urban dance music experiences by numerous forces; energy drinks brands, alcoholic drinks brands, street clothing brands, certain parts of the 'music press' (who's output is purely advertising/propaganda masquerading as journalism), BOILER ROOM etc, into commodified safe events that are then resold back to middle class crowds as an authentic urban experience, 'The Real Thing'. Audio Rehab having allegiance with Ministry of Sound or an alcohol brand sponsoring a Deep Tech night is not the same as if that brand were to put on or sponsor a throwback 'Grime' event. The REAL events don't allude to, or even have any self-awareness of being the real thing, their position as the definite real is only determined once the false reality constructed by the gentrified/corporate events has appeared. It's even more difficult to simultaneously compare the real and the false reality as there is this constraint whereby the music has to first be mythologised in some way (as 'Old Skool Garage' & Grime have been) so that it gains an element of cultural capital that allows it to be consumed by the students, the creatives, the gentrifiers, and normally by the time the sound becomes fully mythologised within the industry, the real scene has died or dissappeared (look at Jungle, UK Garage, Grime & Funky - this process is obvious in all of them). In a way that's what's so beautiful about the Deep Tech scene - it's seen from the outside as just shit House music being shuffled to by the chavs, who obviously have no idea of the superiority of the 'intelligent' global House scene - so, so far, it has avoided the mythologising (I am aware that this thread is the first stage in such a process of a mythology and I have thought whether any articles published by any of us would provide the basis for the go-ahead of it's 'discovery' and subsequent reappropriation by the Fact/Post-Dubstep/UK Bass crowd who then lead and develop the gentrification process of the sound).

I realise we exist in a state of late capitalism that is Postmodern, and that in Postmodernity there are no truths and that culture is fluid, and takes and gives in all directions, but I do feel that this gentrification of urban dance music is somehow linked into exactly that; for example: "It is safest to grasp the concept of the postmodern as an attempt to think the present historically in an age that has forgotten how to think historically in the first place. In that case, it either "expresses' some deeper irrepressible historical impulse (in however distorted a fashion) or effectively "represses" and diverts it..." - Fredric Jameson. The discovery, mythologisation reappropriation, packaging and resale process is, I believe, an example of what Jameson is alluding to above.

Edit: More than anything else that art wanker 'documentary' is the first step in the mythologising process

This is well summed up.

From a Grime perspective so many doors are actually locked shut without the help of some of these organisations helping is get through. Like BBK winning culture clash at Wembley Stadium, or Boiler Room producing great stuff, better than I'd say SBTV or Grime Daily have done in years. Vice made a great doc on form 696 and so forth.

Don't make it out like these things are blindly bad for the scene because they aren't

datwun

Rudewhy - I agree with a lot of what your saying (and also add to the voices saying that you're a good enough thinker and writer that I'd love to see you tackling some of this stuff in a more in depth way!)
One thing I will say is that neat categories of 'real', 'authentic', 'commercial', 'student', 'road' and stuff are always messy and are probably messier now than they've ever been.

With economic gentrification, I think the narrative is far simpler - it really is a case of the wealthy buying up an image of urban hip and in the process pricing and policing out the original inhabitants of the neighbourhood. With musical gentrification it's less neat. With something like Jackin most of the DJs/producers were working class (think Tom Garnet and Brent Kilner both work in construction off the top of my head) but then the crowds were a big mix of students, young workers, white, Asian, black. Urban Nerds might be like the pinnacle of a certain type of east London hipster club night, but then they were pushing jackin in the capital when no one else was. The whole Red Bull phenomena grosses me out, but then they commission some really great mixes, their interview with Rashad and Spinn was very enlightening, just yesterday they did an appeal to save Chanel One Soundsystem at carnival. What's creepy isn't that an energy drink corporation is corrupting dance music and making it plastic and commercial, but that an energy drink corporation is doing as good if not a better job of supporting club culture than many underground blogs, special dance media, individual promotors etc...

It's so confusing trying to disentangle the real from the fake that it's easier just to have some rules like:
People who go to a rave and don't dance suck
People who think they're cooler than other people at a rave suck
Complex music that thinks it's better than simple music sucks
The dance media is failing in its no 1 job of introducing people to good new music

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't think I can reach anything for a while, a family gathering has clashed with the next Audio Rehab :( This looks like a great lineup, dunno what the venue's saying:

uk-0825-612424-357588-front.jpg

uk-0825-612424-357588-back.jpg

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?612424

blazey

Just got back from Pandora.

I feel like Ive just come back from my first ever Sidewinder, or Helter Skelter.

Deep tech >>>>>>> Anything right now imo.

Lance opened with mine n Hugo's new riddim that drops with a HARD sub after the famous 'badman like good tings' sample.

Im so excited about this movement, everything about the rave was on point, sick tunes / everyone dancing and not giving a flying fuck.

This is coming from a 34 year old who thought he coukdnt ecer fall in love with raving again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just skimming that Pete Tong Reddit Q&A and one person is talking about Amine Edge and DANCE's Essential Mix. Referring to "G House" - is this a synonym for Deep Tech?

I keep forgetting that one of the seminal tunes in this scene is by some French producers.

NATO

Last couple of pages in this thread are pretty cringe-inducing in places.

A bunch of people on a forum complaining about the appropriation of a sound by people just like them.

More tunes and mixes plz.

whytea

Just skimming that Pete Tong Reddit Q&A and one person is talking about Amine Edge and DANCE's Essential Mix. Referring to "G House" - is this a synonym for Deep Tech?

I keep forgetting that one of the seminal tunes in this scene is by some French producers.

Whereas it used to be used to describe any sort of Hip Hop influenced House, G-House is kind of turning into a new separate sub-genre thing usually a bit slower, more organic sounding funkier basslines, mandatory hip hop sample/accapella. Popular in Europe and Mexico/South America from what I gather from Soundcloud. some of it is good but a lot is boring IMO.

Check out amine edge and DANCE's CUFF label, or Rob Made's Sleazy G or this Mexican blog dedicated to that sound.

There is a lot of crossover of course, Carnao had a track on CUFF etc. But a Hugo Massien or Nightshift track with a hip hop sample is miles away from what is referred to as G-House I don't think

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
Carnao described Wet Dollars as G House in a recent interview. Just because of the rap sample I guess?

continuum

smugpolice
Carnao described Wet Dollars as G House in a recent interview. Just because of the rap sample I guess?

The rap sample is the key linking bit. Majesty was talking to Scholar T on his show about G House saying how he liked quite a lot of the beats but when the vocal came in he was like "nah". Wet Dollars I wouldn't describe as G House but I'd imagine that people outside the UK might call it that.