Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Going through these Its HZ recommendations... Didn't put a great deal of thought into what I wrote and haven't given every tune a thorough listen cos I should be doing other things (applying for jobs or some boring shit like that). Thanks whytea, some proper big tunes in here...

Funk Butcher - Emergency ***

Quite feeling this, esp. like the high-pitched synth that enters a few minutes into it, ghost of an Acid line in there. I was thinking only the other day that dance producers should use Air Raid sirens more (I think there's one in the Jahil Beats beat for Bobby Schmurda's "Hot N*gga").

X5 Dubs - My Life **

Vocal doesn't seem in key to me? Not my favourite X5 dubs tune, lets put it that way.

Hugo Massien - Better Let Her ****

This one's pretty sick, unsurprisingly (given its on Audio Rehab and is by Hugo M). Also like the steel-drum-y riff towards the end of the clip.

Hugo Massien x Blazey Bodynod - Trouble ****1/2

SHITE.

... Only joking. BIG. Once again it really gets going towards the end of the clip (frustratingly/tantalisingly). Minimal and harsh as fuck, all the funk in the snares and toms, and then those ping-pong reverbed sounds just notch it up a gear.

Calle Lebraun - Tears For A G (Limit'less Darkroom Remix) *****

BANGER. I give this one five foot shuffles out of five. Huge bassline. 2pac sample. Can't go wrong.

Calle Lebraun - Saved My Life ?

Thought this was gonna be a Todd Edwards refix! It's heavy, the sound quality seems a bit fucked up on the clip though.

Storm, Lance Morgan & Archie B - Runaway ***1/2

Ravey chord intro = instant plus point. Bassline drops like elephant's feet/shit and there's another sound in there that sounds like an elephant getting the arse. I can imagine this doing damage at Frequency. I suppose the one thing you can say is basslines are pretty standard in a lot of these tunes - same bass-sound, same types of note sequences. But that's the genre!

Kadey James - If I ****

Endearingly shoddy timestretching on the vocal here, reminds me of my own tunes. Different sort of bassline on this, all sorts of weird little sounds. This is sort of teetering on the edge of amateurish mess but landing in the quirky banger box ultimately. Sort of relates to the conversation I was reading today in the Funky thread about how lower production standards opens the doors for more interesting ideas than a Geekazoids only policy.

Ashenz! - Anubis *****

Yeahhhh BIG. French producer forthcoming on Audio Rehab. This reminds me of that tune by that other French dude which I will have to struggle to remember the name of (I'll stick it in here later - edit: TCHAMI). Same sort of clean/distorted sound on the bass, like a distorted organ sound.

Misc - Your Love (Latmun Remix) ***1/2

I always feel affectionate towards Nottingham producers (no-boner-o) cos I went to Uni there. This feels like "straighter" house, very big prodding bassline ala deeper tech though. I dunno if this is being mixed on a show at the start but that thick mist of sound that's lying over the bassline at the start reminds me of what my mate said at Frequency about how the DJs were making it sound like you'd done a balloon at some points :D

JustJdan - Somebody ***1/2

Again this is from the less polished side of things. Sick though, especially when it gets rolling about a minute and a half in. The bassline (or line overlying the bass) is drenched in reverb which gives it more of a distinctive feel than the clinical cleanliness of some deep tech... Then 3 minutes in there's an Acid line again! I have to say that, although Frequency was obviously taking place in a legal venue, it was a bit like what I imagined Acid House might have been like at the time. Dark, a bit dodgy, drug-fuelled, adrenalising, full of people totally going for it with elaborate dance moves. And there were some 303s. One thing I like about this scene is that it seems they're taking house music back to the funky, stripped-down, tracky side of things, when in recent years it seems to have become the vehicle for poppier ideas.

Sam Martin - Nothing's Changed *****

YES! Like this a lot. It's funny how so many basslines in this scene are three/four-note and often seem to be the same notes. Again, though, its about how well engineered the bassline is and all the details around it. Use of little vocal samples/snippets is something else characteristic of the genre, it seems.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
https://soundcloud.com/east-side-10/creative-mind-house-of-evil

At the risk of repeating what somebody else has already posted.

shuffle-o.gif

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Video from the last Frequency. Some funny gurns in there. Video takes me right back actually. Tune is big too.

Last edited:
Can anyone identify the big tune at the 45 minute mark of Lee B3's Brixton Splash set? Sample of some singjay "puts you in the zone, music is a blessing, never walk alone". Big track

Daggazz

Shadow
Yeah that is a big track, I asked for the same track i.d a couple of pages back.

So nobody knows who "DEEP DOWN" is by yet then. I found a set with a tracklist just said "DEEP DOWN" no artist tho. If anyone finds it post it up please

trilliam

Out now SOTU Recordings Beatport

Plastician just posted this on IG

this is hard

def sounds realer than some jungle inspired house with a badman sample slapped on it for extra road points so i cant even hate

still in nba jam terms i am on fire with the fortune telling

vvvwwwv

def sounds realer than some jungle inspired house with a badman sample slapped on it for extra road points so i cant even hate
lol

that plastician tune is great though, 8 bar house? time for the mcs to step in...
planning to reach the next frequency, can't miss something as monumental as arun verone b2b lance morgan