continuum

smugpolice
There is obviously something going on with House music in London with DJs like Mark Radford and dance styles such as cutting shapes / shuffling whatever it is called. Don't really know anything about it so excuse me if I sound ignorant. Thought a new thread to compile and cover what is happening would be useful.

Some people have been mentioning in other threads about a Footwork influence which is obvious in the following video: The setting of the barber shop and bright fluorescent lighting is very similar to a certain well known Chicago Footwork spot.

Some of the tunes that are big also seem to have a certain sound to them. eg. Playtime Productions - Our Kind
Will post some more tunes as I find them to avoid turning this into an Audio Rehab promo thread. Any further recommendations appreciated.

datwun

Love that article Benny B!!!

Think I prefer the dance to the music, some of them have quite nice basslines, and it's not offensively boring like some other house, but it's hardly mindblowing either.

fhuckface

Just tech house init.

Try enjoy this without drugs

i don't know if you're trolling or not with this comment, but that's a ridiculous statement.

*also to say it's 'just tech house' proves you know nothing about techno, house, or even for that matter, tech house (which we all know is poo)

**also that sounds uncannily like what each one of my grime friends said about dubstep when they first heard it, oh and what happened there?

Last edited:

fhuckface

the whole 'anti foot shuffling' thing is a page made by old cunts who don't like the fact there's a new attitude they don't recognise in their party's. It's also clearly a cynical attack on a type of person who attends these party's that boils down to race & age.

edit* and it's DEFINITELY not anything new, just trad euro house.

datwun

Footage from the Ava Word club night:

Wow, party looks banging tho!!! Funny that a lot of the funky guys moved in this direction, but I suppose at the end of the day funky was half gully elements and half 'let's party and have a good time', and if you're looking for the latter then nothing coming of the 'bass' scene was gonna provide it. Wonder if these crowds could be turned on to jackin :D

Edit: Unrelated I assume?

EDIT 2: Also, the whole style which that JP article Benny linked talked about, BOY caps, Raybans, like, it's all so hipster!!! My theory is that "Swag" is where hipsters imitating street style, and street style imitating hipsters meet.

EDIT 3: this is apparently one of the anthems:

Last edited:

Leo

why the obsession with hipsters? who the f*%# cares what "they" like/wear/listen to, etc.?

tom lea

i think the shuffling thing's pretty cool - it's more interesting than the music it accompanies, anyway - and JP's article is good (the guy getting refused entry to cable quote is pretty amazing) but despite the obvious similarities, i don't think this owes anything to footwork.

rubberdingyrapids

the music isnt that memorable, the dancing is very cool (the camera man's encouragement, less so), but yeah, i dont think footwork has anything to do with it - theres other styles of dancing that are similar, which is why it might seem like that, but footwork is way too niche over here for me to think people have been watching the videos from chicago.

datwun

Quite a few people shuffling at the Jackin rave I went to in Birmingham! Works really nicely with the music, like one guy was just dancing normally, then kind of broke off into a shuffle at the drop. Shuffled me right into the bassbins lol. But yeah, if I could do it it seems it would be a really fun thing to do.