gonzo84d

fwiw house of silk this past weekend was, from the people i talked to, the most crowded one yet. hourlong queue outside, vibes were amazing inside (but of course no idea how they compared to earlier ones since that was my first)

Pandiculate

I tried to get in to House of Silk a few months ago at Scala and the queue was ridiculous. Stood there for two hours before giving up, didn't help that the security really didn't give a shit and were letting girls cut constantly.

denoir

Booked Jack N Danny to my Prague night named Funk'd Up, they took some footage and used it as promo for their forthcoming release on Audiowhore (Falling/In You - biggest J&D single so far imho). We also did a little studio sesh with them + Spekktrum & Spookz. Some pretty impressive workrate, J&D built a wicked tune in about 90 mins.

Daggazz

Shadow
I dont want to jinx it but everything Jack N Danny release is an instant bag for me.

Anyone care to tell me a couple of "Must Have Tracks" at the minute ?

datwun

New Mix wot I gone done https://soundcloud.com/datwun/give-or-tech, lots of exclusive HNH bits!

And a mix I did with Perch MC back in the summer, filling in for Rudewhy on his Radar Radio show:
Don't know if any of you remember the Studio 37/Dean Allen mix Trilliam posted on here earlier in the year, but we really loved it and signed them to House Not House!

https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-007-studio-37-im-doing-me-ep

Out on the 9th of October.

It's interesting with the scene at the moment. Going back to the UK over the summer, I had a few impressions.

London clubs are shutting down left, right and centre and the hopes of deep tech being this unite-the-rave movement, popular in both the South and the North, bringing a bunch of younger ravers as well as many older ravers and producers who've been around throughout other UK scenes etc - the hopes are pretty difficult to square with a reality of a dying club scene. Can a club music thrive or survive when the club scene is dying?

Deep Tech's always had opposing poles, pulling towards both the tradition of UK club music and international house music. This year deep tech's been pulling a lot more in the house direction - a good example would be the fact that House ENT, Top Shelf Recordings, Definition Music, Shadow Music - who were all pushing the harder, more 'UK' side of the sound, have all gone quiet. Other labels like Audio Rehab are pushing the more housey end of things, as are a lot of the producers themselves.

Though that sounds like a recipe for the scene becoming more bland or loosing it's identity - which was always super vague anyway, with producers calling their music 'house' as much if not more than them calling it 'deep tech' - I don't know if that's really happening.

Though it would be a shame to see that harder edge stuff disappear - and we're definitely pushing that sound with a lot of our future releases on HNH - it's not gone completely, and a lot of the housier, tech house stuff is wicked, with that UK energy carried across in the vibe if not obvious samples.

Majesty for me is perhaps the best producer to come out of the scene

I think people will be listening to this track in 20 years
https://soundcloud.com/majestydj001/majesty-q-a-original-mix

Love the psychedelic vibes on this

Remixing his 2012 classic They Want You
https://soundcloud.com/assemblyrecords/majesty-dance

Harry Ley's being doing huge things this year:

This one from Martin Ikin and Low Steppa:

This one's a bit magical - 1980s synth pop euphoria

Greazy shit from Jay Cas

"Babylon shall faaaalll"

Emotional

Cinematic darkside on HNH
https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-005-digital-danger

Trill-tech of HNH
https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-006-karlton-phillips-pimp

gonzo84d

Glad to see this thread pop back a bit. Agree with most of what Dom's said, though I dunno about things shifting so completely toward house. From where I'm listening, I'm hearing more hard hitting hip-hop come in, like in Dillio by Marcellus Wallace, that sort of thing. Not in London though so don't know what's actually getting played out. Dom, any idea why House ENT, Definition etc have been so quiet?

Anyway, out to Dom for all the work. HNH has been fire this year, Pimp in particular is out of control good. Karlton Phillips leading the way, this one seems possibly even better

A bit of old skool flavor these days too

(better than the original for me)

Eastside is still putting out fire on the darker side. Sub Surface too.

Too too much

Anyone know where the hell Jay Power's been? No mixes or radio shows from him in ages and it's killing me

sadmanbarty

sounds more like Oliver Heldens kind of "future house"

You're right. Not being a big EDM or House head I haven't encountered future house before. It was supposedly pioneered by Tchami, who I've previously heard in Deep Tech mixes. To my ears most of future house sounds like a hyper compressed, mid-rangey, more european influenced strand of deep tech. I'd be surprised if future house doesn't have its roots in deep tech in some way.

Deep tech can now be added along with Dnb and Dubstep as a 'nuum genre gone global.

datwun

Agree with everything Datwun's said there. I'm still enjoying the music even if the harder end of it is dying off. Also feel that Grime/"Old Skool Garage" has stolen back the spotlight somewhat this summer amongst the youth.

Forgot to post that I had Limitless of MFR Records on my Radar show for a guestmix a couple weeks back, lots of exclusives

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

I can only glimpse this stuff the couple of times a year I'm back in the UK, but at least based on internet buzz and that I can definitely see how the scene might be bleeding life to new Grime wave. Especially as that harder side which might get the more jump-up inclined youth going is giving way to the more techy stuff.

Respect for getting Limitless down! That's a big mix.

Glad to see this thread pop back a bit. Agree with most of what Dom's said, though I dunno about things shifting so completely toward house. From where I'm listening, I'm hearing more hard hitting hip-hop come in, like in Dillio by Marcellus Wallace, that sort of thing. Not in London though so don't know what's actually getting played out. Dom, any idea why House ENT, Definition etc have been so quiet?

Anyway, out to Dom for all the work. HNH has been fire this year, Pimp in particular is out of control good. Karlton Phillips leading the way, this one seems possibly even better

A bit of old skool flavor these days too
Anyone know where the hell Jay Power's been? No mixes or radio shows from him in ages and it's killing me

Easy brudda, sorry for the late reply! First of all massive big up for the support, I really appreciate it! TBH it's really difficult to tell who's listening, sometimes I'll here HNH bits show up in mixes and be think - you should have told us! we'd have reposted it etc. etc. Even when people do support, they tend not to be very vocal about it, so it's nice to know at least some people are feeling it!

Yeah, it's definitely not just straight house, and still has those elements, whether hip hop or UKish which give it that edge. But a lot of this stuff still falls under the banner of like, 'good house music', rather than 'music which challenges what house music can be'.

Karlton Phllips' a badman for sure, he just keeps getting better! Love the trap element he brings to his tracks, really has that niche on lock.

Jay Power has been on an extended break- but I know he's planning on coming back. TBH I know he has health issues which I reckon could have something to do with it.

Re all the other guys/labels going quiet, I really couldn't tell you! To be honest, reading this thread, talking to a few other DJs who've been complaining about the direction of the sound, reading Reynold's take on this thread and the sound this year: http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.jp/2015/10/deep-tepid.html

- it inspired me to go on a proper hunt for new FIRE and actually the thing I discovered that surprised me most is that MOST of the artists and labels putting out heat last year, earlier this year, haven't uploaded anything on soundcloud in 2, 3, 4 months.

When you look at 2015 in total, there's actually been an insane amount of good music coming out. But these last few months there's definitely been a real slowdown.

I know it's a cliche: "what music are you feeling recently" "To be honest, I'm mostly just focussing on /names own label/ right now."

But it's true, no artist or label in the scene excites me as much right now as the stuff we're pushing and have forthcoming on House Not House.

The Studio 37 EP, just pure darkness vibes, alien sounds. It somehow manages to fuse minimal, bleep n bass, and grime, challenging the categories of both 'UK rave music' and 'house'. I feel like we've written a teeny lickle bit of 'nuum history with this one and I couldn't be more proud to be involved in it.

https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-007-studio-37-im-doing-me-ep

Our next one coming is our first from a Japanese artist - 92, from the mental, anonymous Clock Hazard crew: https://thump.vice.com/en_au/articl...rd-get-to-know-japans-anonymous-techno-rebels

Again, I feel we're writing a little bit of history here, the first ever JP deep tech release, and quite possible the first ever case of Japanese artists working in a UK genre WHILE it's actually alive and active in the UK.

https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-008-92-clock-hazard-the-92-ep

Our man's taken some of those UK elements like the deep tech bass, little garagey vocal licks and pianos, but the way he uses them is totally Japanese - bright, video gamey, psycadelic, strange, with song structures which just build and build and evolve, totally different to the standard UK build-drop structure.

And then just thinking about our next 4-5 releases lined up we've got some super hard grimey shit which is like grime at 125bpm, some classic 'pure' deep tech, some stranger Tech house bits, some more Japanese bits which in any fair world would go UK number 1 on release, and then in terms of bookings we've got Perch and Aaron Vybe coming out to Japan in December, Audio Rehab coming over next spring...

So it's like - yes, there's still lots of good music coming out, yes, the scene has slowed down too, yes, people are focussing on the techy side to the detriment of the harder stuff. But to the extent that stuff's true, it just makes we want to search out and release and support more good music.

sadmanbarty

I don't think we'll be able to convince each other as to whether it's a genre or not.

I was saying it's gone global in the form of future house, which I was suggesting was indebted to Deep Tech. The difference between the two is similar to the difference between UK brostep and people like Skrillex (compression, production values, more pop oriented, etc.).

datwun

Pandiculate, it's the right place for it, but it's not deep tech. That's mad, they killed it a bit with that one.

Hard:

Very hard:

slinky hard

Icey hard

A couple of months old, but no one's posted it: super hard