datwun

My top tunes of 2017 is like 80 percent stuff from this and adjacent tech house labels

1 - Mirko Di Florio - Coco Club - Stone cold tech house banger, gangster, rude, chunky - played it out a whole bunch and seen it mash up a rave or 6 which always makes a tune special in my eyes.

2 - Phil Weeks - She Can't Love You - Okay, so it was released in December 2016, STILL. Warm and emotional in an incredibly generous way, slinky drums, groovy drums and that treacly sweet vocal - love it!

3 - Lee Foss ft Anjulie - Green Light - I guess I'm just a softy at heart. Bit of an unknown, underrated gem this one. Poppy, euphoric, glittering and spangly - a classic cut of house music.

4 - Caal & Baum - Downtown Beat - I unexpectedly ended up seeing my music hero Dennis Ferrer DJing at a kind of cheesy hotel in Mykonos this summer. This was the tune he was running when I arrived. Ravey carnival tech - what's not to like?

5 - KG3 - Amnesty - From House Not House Records 17th release and 2nd EP of the year, this is dungeon dark, hardcore deep tech dirt at its finest and I'm proud we got to release it.

Joint 6 - Mele - Latin Track / Chi Town / Sun Showers - Okay massively cheating, but Mele smashed it out the park this year with amazing rave ready rhythm tracks that combine tribal and techy and make it sound like the most natural and fun thing in the universe. banger banger banger.

7 - J Sono - Darkness - A darkside intergalactic space opera from the artist formerly known as Digital Danger. From HNH018, our latest release, Darkness combines a hair raising, lighters-in-the-air build and drop that harks back to '93 era darkcore jungle using very 2017 sound design. Not for the feint hearted.

8 - Hector Couto - Mr Magic - Spangly clean yet raw at the same time, with a vibe and soundpallet straight out of 80s electro, just a big stomping roller - perfect.

9 - Mr P - Dancing In The Sun - XXXclusive bit from HNH regular Mr P, forthcoming on the label in 2018. Bit of a new direction for P, coming in groovier than his usual dirt - but it still maintains that cheeky bounce and swing that define the Mr P sound.

Joint 10 - DJ Swagger - Lost / Mood J - Turn Your Love Around
Lost - Melancholic vibes and 90s house horns - that's the Lo-fi shit I do like.
Turn Your Love Around - The euphoria to Lost's melancholy, quirky and uplifting, seriously feel good.

Other tracks wot I loved this year

Techy:
Larry Heard - The Sun Can’t Compare
Batenko - Amnesia
Ki Creighton, Makanan - Trivial
Kreature - Access
Detlef, Ossegg James - Swagon
Demarzo - Hang Man
Sooney - Back To The Music (Route 94 Remix)
Mark Jenkins - Peanut Butter
Creative Mind - You’re
Theo Nasa - London Sound Bwoy Killer
Leftwing & Kody - Sound Boy
Max Chapman- La Fiesta
Hugo Massien - Vital Signs
Eli Brown - Hysteria
Richy Ahmed - Come With Us
Detlef - JayDee
Ed Mason - Circles
Denney - Back To Basics

Deep/Lo-fi:
Mall Grab - Catching Feelings
Ross From Friends - Talk To Me You’ll Understand
Daniel Brooks - Make U Feel GD

Old shit wot I discovered and loved this year:
Moodyman
Herbert
Murk Records
The Robsoul back catalog (especially Reda Dare and Arturo Garces)

-----------------------------

Re the tags for this thread. I mean lol fine they're funny, but I find it weird that someone would go out there way to write a bunch of sarcastic shit about me? Like I love this music and work really hard to support it and run a record label which releases this music and very occasionally make posts letting people known that we have some new music out which they might like? Guess that does make me a massive cunt?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ignore the tags

I was just thinking earlier that this forum could use more passionate and knowledgeable advocates of genres. The core membership (I hope I'm not being unfair) seems generally disgusted with anything not recorded before 2010 (or in my case before c. 1800). Of course, most of the passionate advocates have been run off by the jaded wolves. (I love you guys.)

Not to say that there isn't room for criticism and outright insults directed at the music. No need to stoop to personal attacks. (I bet it was that beardy cunt Luka.)

Leo

when i said "great tags on this thread", it was specifically because "just house innit", "didn't they do this in 1986?" and "radford is older than my dad" are in fact funny.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
does this scene still exist? is it back underground?

also: great tags on this thread.

Whenever i tune into rinse these days it's basically this kinda stuff. I'm not the best person to ask tho as i hate tech house(y) sounding stuff - the worst fusion genre in music history (on paper it sounds excellent but neither the original 90s/00s south london sound nor deeptech capture house's queer feel or techno's machinic/mantric funk.) it's all so pristinely produced, so lacking in any kind of artificial fetishism or rawness, if i hear tech house out, i am reminded why i hate clubbing as a circumscribed authoritarian pleasure activity within capitalist time cycles.

It's like static exhausted continuum, baffles me that people slate post-97 dnb which is equally as static, with all the retro trappings post-2009, and new jungle actually.

Last edited:

glasshand

dj panic attack
does this scene still exist? is it back underground?

also: great tags on this thread.

i went to house of silk in april 2017 in great suffolk st warehouse, having not gone to a deep tech night before then for maybe a year or so. i went with a guy who was interested in the scene for the reasons that ppl were talking about in here, no coverage on the big websites despite it (still) being a sell out night in london.

to me it seemed like the crowd and the vibe had changed quite a lot from the days of the coronet. there was wayyyy more young ppl there than i remembered at previous ones, like just turned 18-19 kinda vibe. seemed like surburban kids too, shotter bags and TNs. white kids gurning really hard in the smoking area. i swear i talked to more than a few ppl who were from hitchin and watford, places like that.

there were a lot of ppl really dancing in a way u don't get at big techno things in london imo, but there wasn't as much shuffling or quite as much madness as the coronet. shuffling's moment has fully gone now tho so not too much of a surprise.

my memory is patchy now but the music seemed fairly similar to the previous ones, heard some classics that i couldn't believe they were still playing, like h to da izzo. liked Pioneer's set and DJ S. Sam Supplier was horribly cringe inducing as per. left before jack n danny sadly, that could have been a highlight

april was ages ago now, but all in all i definitely wouldn't have said it was going back underground then, depends how u define that tho. it might be going back underground just cuz house isn't as popular in london in general now, so it's just the ppl who really caught the bug still going out for it. maybe those ppl were mixed in with the younger crowd at the april one. i would be interested to go to another one or maybe a different deep tech night this year to see what's going on.

i dunno if it was a joke or not but i heard a rumour there was gunna be a house of silk or deep tech boiler room. no sign of it yet but wouldn't that be the scene's funeral.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well, you know how luke's mates were the vanguard in 94 making the switch from jungle to garage?

check where Theo Nasa is these days. I told you lot I was the vanguard in 2010-11. Indignant, the nuum cognoscenti refused to believe me. this devilish race expert, this most abominable turk, coming here, stealing that hooligan industrial techno we'd told everyone not to go to and upsetting the eugenic balance of the hardcore continuum. what does he know? a perpetrator and a sabateur, I'm telling you! ruthless ottoman discipline with all the sex squeezed out. a horrible man.

Dimensions

Some shuffling kinda shiz here....

Tracklist:

Deniz Kurtel - One Chance at Happiness
Cozzy D - Aphrodite
The Gathering - In My System (The Revenge Mix)
Bontan - Personal Question
Vakabular - Horus
Dillon - Thirteen Thirtyfive (Lee Foss & MK remix)
Filsonik Dogfish (Jamie Jones remix)
Volkoder - I Talked
Calle Lebraun - I'm Going Back to Calle
PAWSA - Obsession
Chris Lake - Turn Off the Lights (feat. Alexis Roberts)
Weiss - Feel My Needs (Gorgon City remix)
Rob Gritton - Howee
Ricardo Volilobe - Love Hate

Dimensions

Live set from the other day.....

Deniz Kurtel - One Chance at Happiness
Pearson Sound - Thaw Cycle
Nosaj Thing - N R 2
Vakabular - Sunrise
Mary Jane Coles - What They Say (Dyed Soundorom remix)
Rob Gritton - Wok Tum Express
Amir Alexander - Gutter Flex
Radio Slave - Werk (Dan Beaumont remix)
Patrick Topping - Track Change
Henry Saiz - Haunted Girl Canyon
Guy Gerber & Puffy Daddy - Tourist Trap (Jamie Jones 'For Ryan' remix)
Adana Twins - Uncompromising
Betonkust & Palmbomen II - Leo / Mirjam
Storm Queen - Look Right Through (Jamie Jones remix)
Disclosure - Tenderly
Ooft! - Yeah (Jay Shepheard remix)

continuum

smugpolice
some rare 2013/14 dubs

Download: https://bit.ly/2VDh80V

Tracklist:
Mr H’s - Step Out
Ashenz! - Gotham G’s
Majesty - Home Coming
Retrosynths - Come Back To Me (VIP)
Creative Mind A2H feat. Henry - Can’t Live Without Your Love
John Legend - All Of Me (Retrosynths Remix)
Kele Le Roc - My Love (Majesty Remix)
Durty Fresh & Q Cardinal - From Da Shadows
SDP - So Much
Giu Vela - Failed Mission
Jacob B - Into The Dark
unknown - Bless You
unknown - Get Up
unknown - I Love You

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
still haven't changed my mind that this is a poor mans bleep and bass, and less rhythmically sophisticated, the only way this can evolve is a basier version of hard house tbh. northern hardcore was at least dark and minimal with rib shaking bass, the bass on this stuff is static and clean, not deep. it's well produced but it doesn't shake the walls, it's eq'd just right to punch through a funktion 1 and little else, whereas some of those old bleep tunes still make the speakers vibrate from the sheer gravitational force.

weirdly i seem to becoming a digger of old dubbstep, jungle/footwork failures etc, and of course proper American house and hard techno. but the bass continuum has pretty much fizzled out for me. even modern dancehall (the daddy genre) has totally severed itself from the classic reggae lineage of the 80s. it's basically sean paul with global esperanto pop aesthetics. I'm sure I can find some crazy fucked up deep tech if i go looking for it i just doubt its champions on here like dominic and continuum are interested in turning me onto the alienating anti-pop appeal stuff. a lesson against excessive poptimism, it leads to tech house.

Last edited:

Dimensions

Hope everyone is well, here's the latest from me.....

Tracklist:

Motor City Drum Ensemble - Raw Cuts #5
ANOTR - Stop Trying Keep Doing
Laura Jones - Love in Me (Maceo Plex)
Reclick & Nick Curly - Sinus
Freight Train - Got To Have It
Dino Straits & Setanssa6 - Bodak
Eli Brown - Heartbeat
Rob Gritton - Acid O Latte
Johannes Albert - Style of House
The Martinez Brothers - H 2 Da Izzo
Vakabular - I Bet You Wonder
Jack N Danny - Falling
Empire of the Sun - We Are The People (Crazy P remix)
Raxon - Dark Light
Llewellyn - Falling Apart

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Ta.

Is there anyway to consolidate respective House threads? As a newb I didn?t see this & have been dumping favourites elsewhere & ironically that turned out to be a sarcasm lure themed trap, then this gigantor gets refreshed & .....

Nothing personal, just hard keeping track.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
still haven't changed my mind that this is a poor mans bleep and bass, and less rhythmically sophisticated, the only way this can evolve is a basier version of hard house tbh. northern hardcore was at least dark and minimal with rib shaking bass, the bass on this stuff is static and clean, not deep. it's well produced but it doesn't shake the walls, it's eq'd just right to punch through a funktion 1 and little else, whereas some of those old bleep tunes still make the speakers vibrate from the sheer gravitational force.

weirdly i seem to becoming a digger of old dubbstep, jungle/footwork failures etc, and of course proper American house and hard techno. but the bass continuum has pretty much fizzled out for me. even modern dancehall (the daddy genre) has totally severed itself from the classic reggae lineage of the 80s. it's basically sean paul with global esperanto pop aesthetics. I'm sure I can find some crazy fucked up deep tech if i go looking for it i just doubt its champions on here like dominic and continuum are interested in turning me onto the alienating anti-pop appeal stuff. a lesson against excessive poptimism, it leads to tech house.

i still maintain this

and

and even

forever in the shadow.

RWY

Ta.

Is there anyway to consolidate respective House threads? As a newb I didn?t see this & have been dumping favourites elsewhere & ironically that turned out to be a sarcasm lure themed trap, then this gigantor gets refreshed & .....

Nothing personal, just hard keeping track.

I wouldn't worry, this thread refers to a specific scene of ex-Grime, Bassline and UK Funky producers & DJs who started playing Deep House when those scenes fell apart and which existed (predominantly) in London between 2010 - 2015. It is highly likely that your contributions do not belong in this thread and you were right to be posting them elsewhere.

Dimensions

Latest one from me.. cheers peeps

Darragh Casey - My Groove
Third Son - Bag O' Bones
Marlon D - Jesus Creates Sound
Gel Abril - Spells of Yoruba (Kaytronik remix)
Dennis Ferrer - Hey Hey (DF's Attention Vocal Mix)
Afefe Iku - Mirror Dance
Antony Ranz - Ranzone
The Heller & Farley Project - Ultra Flava (Darius Syrossian's Full Pressure Extended Remix
Vakabular - In My Hand
PAWSA - Obsession
Inxec & Droog - Westbound
Lee B3 Edwards - Enchanted Nights
Cozzy D - Aphrodite
Larry Heard & Mr White - Sun Can't Compare
Adana Twins - Uncompromising
Jack N Danny - Heat
Michael Cantroit - Young Forever (Hugo Massien remix)
Justin Martin - Mushrooms