NOMS FOR NOUGHTIES NUUM POLL?

wise

bare BARE BONES
oh and Durrty Goodz - Lighterflash on Skeptas stageshow riddim

that's it iv'e done my 50 now pm on the way, cheers Benny!

Benny Bunter

oh and Durrty Goodz - Lighterflash on Skeptas stageshow riddim

that's it iv'e done my 50 now pm on the way, cheers Benny!

nice one wise, you're the 1st!

I think I've sorted out my top ten, will try and figure out the rest later today. Might have to chuck a vote stageshow riddim's way too, love how nearly all the versions I've heard just descend into shouting, tooo hype.

@datwun. I've added the vex'd to the noms list

Last edited:

datwun

Ooh, and Benny Ill & Hatcha - Highland Spring!

PS. looking back at those lists, all I can think is 'what a decade'!

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
I had to do it real quick, if i'd dwelt on it too much i'd never have gotten finished

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
don't really feel qualified to vote on this especially compared to dudes like ben ufo and blackdown, or anyone else who lives + breathes this stuff, but if no one minds I think I will anyway. also, thanks for calling me a "regular" despite the fact that I'm only around here sporadically nowadays.

also I have some 2-step (well and 4x4) nominations. I checked and I don't think any of these came out (at least officially) before 2000. some are pretty obscure and I have no idea about the context, like what tunes, aside from the obvious ones, were actually big in the dance/on pirates at the time, so it's just tunes I think are cracking.

El-B - Every Little Thing - off El-Breaks 3
Ghost (El-B) - Lyrical Tempo
Brasstooth - Celebrate Life (El-B Remix)
Nitin Sawhney - Sunset (MJ Cole Remix)
Jill Scott - Getting in the Way (MJ Cole Remix)
De La Soul - Ain't All Good (MJ Cole Remix)
Ashanti - Only You (Juicy Joints 4x4 Dub) - could also go under bassline I guess?
Afro Medusa - Pasilda (Raffles Mix)
Nutty Dread Records - NUTTY 3 So Sweet EP
Delinquent - My Destiny (Nu Skool 2 Step Mix)
Obzee + Pedro - Your Love

and finally

Heartless Crew - The Heartless Theme - how did no one nominate this? aren't they like, total hometown cult heroes? I like it as much as Know We at least

also under grime
Trim - Notorious - technically a remix of a dancehall tune I guess but it was on a Trim mixtape so I think it qualifies. also it qualifies by virtue of awesomeness.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also this is not exactly a new observation but MJ Cole was really on his game ca. 1997-2001 or so. also I think El-B is actually a robot programmed to make killer bass-heavy music.

also under dubstep
Mala - Alicia
Vaccine - Wishful Thinking
Kode9 + Spaceape - Sine of the Dub
Rusko - Love Is Real

that Rusko tune is one the same EP as Cockney Thug but could not be more different

Benny Bunter

good stuff Padraig, I'll add your nominations to the list. Can't believe I'd forgotten about MJ Cole remix of Ain't no good, one of his best ever tunes for sure, so incredibly funky.

Craner's just sent me his selection in too, its on!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Somebody email Simon Reynolds.

Somebody else go and order a Cappuccino and 00's Nuum List from luka.

Is Woebot still alive? And bored?

LURKERS WE NEED YOU

rubberdingyrapids

is the steve gurley mix of basement jaxxx in there? can i nominate peven everett and roy davis jnr's gabriel as a garage track? cos both are very high up there for me.

Benny Bunter

is the steve gurley mix of basement jaxxx in there? can i nominate peven everett and roy davis jnr's gabriel as a garage track? cos both are very high up there for me.

the gurley/jaxx one is from 99 I'm afraid.

I suppose you can vote for Gabriel, we can lump it together with the the Large Joints remix already in the list (its actually quite similar to the original, just slinkier)

benw

don't really feel qualified to vote on this especially compared to dudes like ben ufo and blackdown, or anyone else who lives + breathes this stuff, but if no one minds I think I will anyway. also, thanks for calling me a "regular" despite the fact that I'm only around here sporadically nowadays.

also I have some 2-step (well and 4x4) nominations. I checked and I don't think any of these came out (at least officially) before 2000. some are pretty obscure and I have no idea about the context, like what tunes, aside from the obvious ones, were actually big in the dance/on pirates at the time, so it's just tunes I think are cracking.

El-B - Every Little Thing - off El-Breaks 3
Ghost (El-B) - Lyrical Tempo
Brasstooth - Celebrate Life (El-B Remix)
Nitin Sawhney - Sunset (MJ Cole Remix)
Jill Scott - Getting in the Way (MJ Cole Remix)
De La Soul - Ain't All Good (MJ Cole Remix)
Ashanti - Only You (Juicy Joints 4x4 Dub) - could also go under bassline I guess?
Afro Medusa - Pasilda (Raffles Mix)
Nutty Dread Records - NUTTY 3 So Sweet EP
Delinquent - My Destiny (Nu Skool 2 Step Mix)
Obzee + Pedro - Your Love

and finally

Heartless Crew - The Heartless Theme - how did no one nominate this? aren't they like, total hometown cult heroes? I like it as much as Know We at least

also under grime
Trim - Notorious - technically a remix of a dancehall tune I guess but it was on a Trim mixtape so I think it qualifies. also it qualifies by virtue of awesomeness.

Great shout on notorious and the delinquent tune, both are absolute crackers.

craner

Beast of Burden
I had two thoughts: 1) shame there is no way to adequately represent Mis-Teeq, the UKG Supremes; 2) quite impressed by how many amazing records were crammed into 1999. Doing this was a surprising pleasure; thinking about these records brought back of a lot of banished or mislaid memories, immediate moments, texture of time/place, etc. Pop music is very good at that. This decade ended in flames for me, so I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed at least half of it.

Edit: Does that make Alicia Dixon the 'Nuum's Diana Ross?

Last edited: