New York Times Covers Screwed + Chopped Hip Hop!

carlos

manos de piedra
i went to Screwed Up Records and Tapes (DJ Screw's store) for the first time about 3 weeks ago. some of out-of-town visitors wanted to go so i drove them.

i do listen to screwed & chopped hiphop (you can buy it everywhere) but never actually took the time to go there- definitely worth a visit... no cds anywhere, just posters and a t-shirt rack. the latest hits blasting at deafening volume. there's a marker-board on the wall with the titles in stock. and a guy behind a small bullet-proof window with a pass-through. you tell him what you want and he hands it over. $15 for double cd sets.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
carlos said:
Screwed Up Records and Tapes (DJ Screw's store)

I'm going down to Houston later this month for some visa stuff---have to stop by the store if only for the touristic thrill ...

whereabouts is it actually? I guess they must have a website anyway ...

polystyle

i don't get it , Dub
why is there 'something amiss in the universe' if NY Times covers Screwed and Chopped Houston hiphop ?
The guys in Texas who are on the scene seemed to enjoy that coverage judging from blog site

Dubquixote

Submariner
it's kinda like reading about grime in the new yorker. glad to see real underground music getting recognized, but right surprised hearing it get that sorta mainstream press. hey power to the times having the guts to cover houston and screw (and cover it well). i get the distinct impression that some of the historically 'stodgier' publications are making a concerted effort to get with the program these days. or maybe there's a gradual process of attrition going on in highbrow journalism whereby the old school is getting phased out and making way for the s/fj's of the world.

polystyle

Dub I get your drift ,
but your first post strikes me like a previous post some wks bk where someone was so shocked that Pitchfork covered grime , I mean c'mon .
And it wasn't a 'SFJ of the world' that did the article , it was a ' Kelefa Sanneh of the NY Times'.
Let's put the focus on the music not on who wrote about it.
Did it take 'guts' to write about Screw music from Houston ? , it was a job for the guy not a couragous 'move'

I just saw another Screw spot on MTV , Mike Jones again , i hope we're not going to thank MTV for having the guts to show 30 seconds of Mike Jones performance between commercials

Dubquixote

Submariner
The New York Times + MTV = a far cry from Pitchfork. If Chopped and Screwed now passes for mainstream pop that plays to the MTV target demographic, or, alternately, gets covered in the New York Times (and runs next to a piece on Jazz at Lincoln Center), then I say a tectonic shift (albeit a welcome one, but mysterious nonetheless) has happened in mainstream US culture.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
this is a bit of a fucker actually - i missed k's piece and actually pitched the independent in the uk a piece very similar last week in the aftermath of listening to those OG Ron C Fuck Action 40 mixes. it's up for consideration, so if i do get the commission, i'm not copying anyone and it was my idea!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i got the fuck action 40 series while i was up to the tits on codeine, thanks to a back injury. have to say it certainly helped with my appreciation of it!

Last edited:

jcruelty

i hadn't read those houston press articles-- they were really interesting. btw, sorry if this is obvious-- does anybody know, in that mike jones/paul wall/etc song "sittin sideways"-- what does sittin sideways mean? is it a reference to syrup, to cars, to something else? ditto for the song "still tippin" -- what does that mean?

carlos

manos de piedra
i think "sittin sideways" refers to the way you're supposed to sit while you're driving your souped-up automobile. leaning over into the passenger side, with your seat so far back that your head is practically looking out the rear window

this is a common sight in houston btw