Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Pynchon

They might be quite smart. There isn't always a link between musical ability and smartness.

That maybe should have read "ever" rather than always.

If anyone's interested in an American lit professor's account, written in a kind of Pynchonian parody style, of randomly bumping into Thomas Pynchon and having conversations with him, this is probably what you're looking for: http://www.pynchon.pomona.edu/bio/adventures.html

The dude comes across as totally starstruck and sycophantic, but who wouldn't be in that situation? It's probably greatly exaggerated too, but who cares? It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    They might be quite smart. There isn't always a link between musical ability and smartness.
    Yeah I've got friends who know them who say they're very bright boys.

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    Somewhat apprehensive about this but PTA's probably one of the few directors working today capable of pulling it off.

Supposedly there's a cameo from the man himself in there too.
    Really hoping they've actually done versions of all the songs from the book - Soul Gidget by Meatball Flag ("one of the few known attempts at black surf music") would be worth the price of admission alone.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Gravity's Rainbow is the most intimidating thing in the world.
    If you can tune into the sense of humour then it's actually quite a fun read...

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    If you can tune into the sense of humour then it's actually quite a fun read...
    Says "Slothrop"! Shouldn't you be off eating marmite-filled humbugs somewhere?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

STUFF stop unlawful free festivals. This is a real one from '60s Britain.

Yeah I'm a little over 200 pages in, a long way from tje kirghiz light but I'll get there

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

This means very little to me. Could you perhaps fill in the sketch a little?

it's suggested that capital and technology are conspiring across sides and borders, using the war to reshape the world
    Yes this I got from Rathenau, it states it explicitly. The war is a revolution, a transferral of power into corporate hands. Elsewhere he says the war is about markets, the deaths and violence just a diversionary spectacle

I'll read a bit more in the bath. Say some clever stuff while I'm away.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    There's a thread running through Pynchon's stuff concerning science and technology, how it builds and destroys potential worlds, bends history to its will and almost exerts a force of its own. It makes more sense if you've read some of his other stuff, he has this whole thing in Mason & Dixon of the two surveyors blundering across America, scarring the Earth with the Mason-Dixon line and ignoring the much older orders that people like the Native Americans are aware of and trying to preserve.

In GR, it's suggested that capital and technology are conspiring across sides and borders, using the war to reshape the world, and that there's potentially some mystical component to it. You get giant angels appearing, witches, seances and various other things and the rocket itself exerts some sort of influence on people.

It's hard to simplify it, but I think that essentially what he's getting at is that religion and mysticism are too readily dismissed and aren't as separate from science and technology as we're led to believe.
    Binary oppositions in general are a thing that Pynchon both uses constantly and treats as problematic. So thematically he's constantly setting up oppositions between black and white, matter and spirit, preterite and elect, us and them, science and superstition, but at the same time they're seen as fencing in, territorializing, restricting potential, the reason that everything's so fucked up; Oedipa Maas know's that excluded middles are "some bad shit", by dividing the country Mason and Dixon are unwittingly helping to stifle its potential. This is why entropy's important, although it's been too long since I thought hard about this stuff (or about entropy) to pin down that analogy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slothrop For This Useful Post:

That's another one I read more than half of before deciding I hated it.