Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: the bowie thread

the first three are stunning. i know some people think you shouldnt frontload an album with all the best songs, but when theyre that good, duh, of course you should.

imo prince was to the 80s what bowie was to the 70s. i know some people dont like the comparison cos they dont see prince as rock enough, but i cant think who else it would be. unless you can make madonna and prince into one person.

also, can anyone think of a more devastating bowie song than wild is the wind? whenever people say he has no soul, blah blah (not sure if people still think this in 2013), thats the song that shows theyre totally wrong.

i am still putting off hearing the new album.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 14-03-2013 at 10:41 AM.

I never got the 'no soul' criticism - seems completely bizarre to me, as though there's only one way to put emotional impact into a song/track.

Wild is the Wind - someone could point out that it's a cover, and attribute the soulfulness to that. But it's one of the most amazing songs ever, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    imo prince was to the 80s what bowie was to the 70s. i know some people dont like the comparison cos they dont see prince as rock enough, but i cant think who else it would be. unless you can make madonna and prince into one person.
    There is some definitive influence, especially around the Young Americans-era. I remember watching "Cracked Actor", and hearing Bowie do the Prince "AOOOUUU!!!!" And dropping everything in my hands like "WHAT!?!? HE GOT IT FROM HIM!?!?!?" Of course, I was also watching it, and moaning at how badly I've realized Gaga's been cribbing her stage designs from him.

droid Guest

Station to Station is like the connoisseurs choice of Bowie LP's isnt it? Joint 2nd for me with Heroes after Low.

hunky dory or zigggy are the meat and potatoes rock fan's bowie album of choice.

"WHAT!?!? HE GOT IT FROM HIM!?!?!?"
    im sure i read something about the purple rain movie being inspired by the ziggy concept.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 14-03-2013 at 12:53 PM.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    hunky dory or zigggy are the meat and potatoes rock fan's bowie album of choice.
    And Diamond dogs. Arguably superior to Ziggy. Aladdin Sane doesnt get much of a look in though, despite being the 'purest' of Ziggy Lp's.

DD and AS are both better than ziggy imo. both have a better, beefier sound to them.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    And Diamond dogs. Arguably superior to Ziggy.
    Agreed. I need to listen to more of his late '70s/early '80s stuff though, I get the feeling there's a huge heap of great material I've barely explored.

Did he do much with Eno other than the second side of Low?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Agreed. I need to listen to more of his late '70s/early '80s stuff though, I get the feeling there's a huge heap of great material I've barely explored.

Did he do much with Eno other than the second side of Low?
    Heroes (another B side of eno/krautrock style instrumentals) and Lodger (overrated IMO).

If you like the B side of Low, the instrumental compilation 'all saints' is worth a look.

Station to Station is like the connoisseurs choice of Bowie LP's isnt it? Joint 2nd for me with Heroes after Low.
    Maybe it's because it's the first Bowie album I ever got, but I think it documents a unique crossover between the two halves of his 70s - a properly hybrid sound.

My three'd Be Station, Low and Diamond Dogs, though not sure in what order. DD is incredibly underrated, though gratifyingly not on this board. Sweet Thing-Candidate-Sweet Thing Reprise is one of his greatest.

And I'd put Scott Walker's suite of songs on 'Nite Flights' as an honorary addition to Bowie's 70s catalogue. It's so closely matched.

Aladdin Sane is always better than I expect when I listen to it - almost has the feeling of a 'lost' Bowie album despite the massive hit. Lady Grinning Soul is magnificent.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Sweet Thing-Candidate-Sweet Thing Reprise is one of his greatest.
    Yes! I used to listen to that obsessively. Also, the demo version of Candidate is outstanding.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Aladdin Sane is always better than I expect when I listen to it - almost has the feeling of a 'lost' Bowie album despite the massive hit. Lady Grinning Soul is magnificent.
    'Panic in Detroit' is the standout for me.

Yes! I used to listen to that obsessively. Also, the demo version of Candidate is outstanding.
    it's crazed dystopian cocaine psychodrama at its very best. I'd go to more opera* if it sounded more like this. fuck alone knows what his mental process was when he wrote it.

the demo version absolutely, love it.

* or musicals, maybe
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.

droid Guest

Just found a weird US release of 1984/dodo on Spotify. Finding alternate cuts of major label records is probably the thing its most useful for.

Woah. 'Rebel Rebel' with weird reversed background vocals!

I love the last three tracks that gradually descend into total insanity. 'Chant of the Ever-Circling Skeleton Family' has to be one of the most aptly-titled songs ever. And there's that weird vocal loop at the end that sounds like someone saying "Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian!" over again. Just nuts.

You know that record started out as a soundtrack to a musical based on 1984? Can't imagine Bowie making something that earnest, somehow (and of course he didn't, in the end). Fuck knows what it would have looked/sounded like if he'd gone through with it.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you