Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: the bowie thread

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I love the last three tracks that gradually descend into total insanity. 'Chant of the Ever-Circling Skeleton Family' has to be one of the most aptly-titled songs ever. And there's that weird vocal loop at the end that sounds like someone saying "Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian!" over again. Just nuts.

You know that record started out as a soundtrack to a musical based on 1984? Can't imagine Bowie making something that earnest, somehow (and of course he didn't, in the end). Fuck knows what it would have looked/sounded like if he'd gone through with it.
    There's some footage in the Nicholas Roeg film of rehearsals for the diamond dogs tour, which retained a bunch of the ideas he'd had for the musical AFAIK.

What, no Tin Machine love from you guys?

man, this thread has me pulling for all my old bowie records. station to station was my first bowie record as well (still pretty amazing), can never say enough about diamond dogs, and always loved to hot/raw guitar of "cracked actor" and his cover of "let's spend the night together". and the wonderful drum sound on "sound & vision" and other cuts from low.

i might even go out and buy his new album.

I love the last three tracks that gradually descend into total insanity. 'Chant of the Ever-Circling Skeleton Family' has to be one of the most aptly-titled songs ever. And there's that weird vocal loop at the end that sounds like someone saying "Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian! Brian!" over again. Just nuts.

You know that record started out as a soundtrack to a musical based on 1984? Can't imagine Bowie making something that earnest, somehow (and of course he didn't, in the end). Fuck knows what it would have looked/sounded like if he'd gone through with it.
    Never really thought of it as Brian! It's a sample of the beginning of 'brother', isn't it, done by a 1974 sampler which has about 10ms of memory?
    Big Brother is a fucking wonderfully mad track. Sounds like decaying totalitarian disco, and that wonderful double-vocalled acoustic interlude prior to the last chorus....wow.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Someone to fool us, some brave Apollo!

Dammit, gonna have to listen to this on the way home now.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I strongly dislike Tin Machine, and actually a lot of this LP reminds me of that kinda, so there you go.

TBH, I think Bowie needs to go and become an Elder Statesman. This whole rocky vibe on the album is very unbecoming, and actually really toothless. It's telling that "Where Are You Now" and the fake Scott Walker song are his best ones on the LP, because that's where he should be... Bowie as Space Sinatra. He's earned the right to be more graceful and retiring, he shouldn't feel like he has to be 'ready to go out with one last BANG!'.

Someone to fool us, some brave Apollo!

Dammit, gonna have to listen to this on the way home now.
    'Don't talk of dust and roses/ Or should we powder our noses?'

Oh David, what could you be referring to....?!

the nature boy song from moulin rouge a while back was very scott walker. that album also had one of the best covers ive heard of bowie or otherwise by beck of diamond dogs, produced by timbaland. if you ever wondered what timbo and bowie might have done, thats probably as close as youre going to get.

id personally like bowie to do a more modern scott walker type of record.

on a different tip, i also went through a belated "man who sold the world" kick at one point, i think cobain used to rave about it as a fav of his (or maybe he just admired other dress-wearing male rock stars).

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    'Don't talk of dust and roses/ Or should we powder our noses?'

Oh David, what could you be referring to....?!
    For some reason, songs that reference or glorify cocaine use usually annoy me, but Bowie and Black Sabbath are two artists that get a free pass every time.

And hey, at least it wasn't smack (except of course it was, for several years).
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

You don't rate "Let's Dance"? That's the greatest cocaine album ever.
    I do like that song but I don't really know the album I have to admit. Maybe I should get hold of it.
    What about all the early stuff? Not very dissensus but I even like all the plastic-mod, plastic-psych stuff when he was just kinda trying to decide what would give him the best chance of a hit (I guess).

Let Me Sleep Beside You

Can't Help Thinking About Me

I would have thought that the raawwk fan's album of choice would be The Man Who Sold The World - some great bluesey guitar on that for those who care about that kind of thing.

Re the Bowie/Prince thing - both almost cartoonishly flamboyant at times I suppose. Bowie wrote All The Young Dudes for Mott the Hoople and I think Prince might have given away a few good ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    the nature boy song from moulin rouge a while back was very scott walker. that album also had one of the best covers ive heard of bowie or otherwise by beck of diamond dogs, produced by timbaland. if you ever wondered what timbo and bowie might have done, thats probably as close as youre going to get.

id personally like bowie to do a more modern scott walker type of record.
    I disagree, because I feel like he's not... This is convoluted, but bear with me. I feel like as opposed to Scott being a psychological gross expansionist of Pop (A song like say, Jesse being "Jailhouse Rock" expanded beyond it's borders into something gross and disproportionate.) Bowie is so much more conventional. Which is obviously not a bad thing, because if everything was like Scott, it'd be the most tedious thing in the world to listen to.

For me, the best future for Bowie would be something that's like... A warped version of Scott 4/Side A of 'Til The Band Comes In, where you have a very unique sounding adult contemporary record. Because he is a pop star and in many ways, all his experimental interests doesn't change that. He should feel more like a bridge and neither close and relate-able or completely adrift.

true, bowie is a pop artist. i didnt really like nature boy (its not a great song, but it has a good, consistent, somewhat monotone mood), but i found it interesting as something he might do - i wouldnt mind that kind of direction for him a bit more, i.e. just not straight genre rock. maybe something a bit like rufus wainwrights more baroque material.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Bowie wrote All The Young Dudes for Mott the Hoople and I think Prince might have given away a few good ones too.
    Actually, both Bowie and Prince would spend a great deal of time writing songs and trying to incorporate their heroes (along with their girlfriends) under their protege system, with both Main Man/Paisley Park respectively turning into a bit of a graveyard where those artists would later resent the star, and accuse him of stealing ideas... Wayne/Jayne County claiming s/he and the NY Dolls were savagely ripped off by Bowie, or the legend of Mazerati rewriting "Kiss" from a bluesy/folk number into a version closer to the one we know.

I know Prince claims he was inspired by the movie The Idolmaker to become more of a behind-the-scenes character, but maybe it was in fact Bowie who inspired him in that direction.

Some superb stuff on Space Oddity/ David Bowie/Man of Words Man of Music (not sure quite title the sails under now. Letter to Hermione, Freecloud, I love Memory of a Free Festival and of course Space Oddity itself.

Think the rockiness of Man Who Sold was a wrong move - one of teh few times he sounded like he was following - Bolan-esque on Black Country Rock but All the Madmen and the title track are great moments in his career.

No-one much mentioning the greatness of Hunky Dory - obvious singles - Pretty Things, Changes, Life on Mars but also Bewley Brothers, Kooks and Andy Warhol.

Ziggy not get the props here but Soul Love, Five Years, Rock n Roll Suicide are... well to be honest I could do this for every album from SpOd to Scary - including Pin Ups! And the Catpeople single and Under Pressure...

Bowie was the first genuine full blown music fanaticism that I ever had where I had to have everything and read everything about him, then go buy all these other artists, read the books, see the art - he is an autodidact's dream - a gateway drug for popular and high culture whilst looking like an alien.

The new album is a slow burn - I think Heathen was a real return to form and this seems in the same vein - Where Are We Now not really representative of the whole - I tend to prefer it when Dave doesn't get too obsessed with guitars but lyrically it seems to be much more considered. I think Visconti and Eno are good for him in the production booth - glad to see him ween himself off Reeves Gabriel's influence.

Never did get round to Lets Dance, i will promptly correct this. This is how I'd rank Bowie's albums in order

Low
    Ziggy Stardust
    Hunky Dory
    Heroes
    Aladdin Sane
    Man who sold the world
    Diamond Dogs
    Station to station
    Space Oddity
    Scary Monsters
    Lodger

also gotta mention his work on Iggy's 'The Idiot'. Love that whole Cracked Actor/Berlin period stuff. Fave song has to be 'Time' from Aladdin Sane, still remember my jaw dropping when I first heard that song. These lyrics need quoted in full!

Time - He's waiting in the wings
    He speaks of senseless things
    His script is you and me boys

Time - He flexes like a whore
    Falls wanking to the floor
    His trick is you and me, boy

Time - In Quaaludes and red wine
    Demanding Billy Dolls
    And other friends of mine
    Take your time

The sniper in the brain, regurgitating drain
    Incestuous and vain,