CrowleyHead

IIRC Lester Bangs referenced 'Time' as an example of why Bowie was such a shit lyricist...

He also panned the shit out of Station To Station, if memory serves right. Also, him and Lou Reed got in a fight where the latter claimed David was great.

"HE DOESN'T WRITE GOOD LYRICS."
"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW ABOUT LYRICS ASSHOLE. HAVE YOU HEARD THE BELWAY BROTHERS?"
"YES I HEARD--- EVERYONE FUCKING KNOWS THAT SONG."
"WHAT ARE THE LYRICS?"
I----... LOOK, IT'S BEEN A WHILE..."

CrowleyHead

No no, that was the Bowie album that Lester Bangs liked, he hated all the Ziggy stuff though.

I mean, Bangs started the whole Carduccian school of "British Rock will always be 'inept'." so him hating Ziggy is perfectly logical from his standpoint.

Not to turn this into a rock critic school. Jeez, we sound like an issue of Mojo right now.

Leo

who does he have as his band on the new record? checked discogs, no listing yet.

CrowleyHead

Bowie, clearly!

Also, wow at Tony Levin being there, I didn't think any of those basslines were like... substantial or anything.

craner

Beast of Burden
This "comeback" seems to have been planned like a Napoleonic campaign. It's fucking relentless. I am being attacked by Bowie from all angles.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
he's nothing if not media-savvy.

Has anyone been to the Bowie V&A exhibition? Prob not yet, as it's only just opened. I'm not too interested in the costumes etc, so was wondering how much of it was devoted to the music (, man).

rubberdingyrapids

from 'wow what a great secretive approach to an album release in 2013' i am now closer to being a bit bowie-fatigued now. hes everywhere. on the radio, in the papers, on posters on walls... nothing bowie-related is too small to report.

still gonna go to the v&a though, if i can get a ticket.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is weird the way that Melvins album which is all covers is reported as Melvins Cover Bowie! Why doesn't Divine get a headline?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually, Craner you asked me why Bowie is my favourite artist and maybe that deserved a proper answer. Basically I like pop and I like stuff that's a bit odd and when those two things meet I'm really happy - and I can't think of anything that does such good pop and puts it together with such good odd as well as Bowie does (I'm also quite partial to a bit of Roxy Music obviously). Plus on top of that he looks like an alien and yet somehow manages to be beautiful too so he looks and sounds like the perfect popstar.

viktorvaughn

he's nothing if not media-savvy.

Has anyone been to the Bowie V&A exhibition? Prob not yet, as it's only just opened. I'm not too interested in the costumes etc, so was wondering how much of it was devoted to the music (, man).

My mate works at the V and A and he said it's all booked out to the max. People who work there aren't even getting a few free tix as they normally do, so mega popular.

I'm a newcomer to the man and having my 'big bowie period' at the moment! So the last 3 months have seen me hear a lot of all this for the first time. It's brilliant.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah well. Tbh there's something I really don't like about the V&A anyways (probably most of the people who go there, rather than the museum itself), so not too gutted.

I'm envious! I come back to him every couple of years in a big way - most recently when this thread got going

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don't think of it as David Bowie meeting God - it's more like God is excited about finally getting to meet David Bowie.

R.I.P.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well put. This is the first time I've been properly sad at a famous person's death since...I can't even remember. Legend. I think he'd have been pretty damn pleased looking back over his life, and rightly so

Last edited: