Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: the bowie thread

Default the bowie thread

i read this by mr reynolds (to use the NY times' quaintly formal style sheet):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/ar...nted=1&_r=0&hp

lots of observations, though still unsure what his actual opinion of the new record is (other than it being a twilight masterpiece). on a similar note, im really glad bowie is back but im not sure hearing him as confessional lyricist will be that good/interesting, even though its what people (boringly) want. its slightly dissapointing actually, this (contemporary?) idea that he SHOULD be more honest, naked, intimate, personal etc etc - you probably get a better (or more interesting at least) sense of him as a person from his act/persona than you will from openly/deliberately personal lyrics. i dont think that style of confessional lyricism comes easy to him, and hes probably been wise not to go for it.

The stars record is just abysmal lyrically. But I love the fact that he decided to blatantly rip-off Scott on the last song, it's SUCH a Climate Of Hunters song.

'Where Are We Now?' sounds like that song he did in Extras when he was ripping it out of Gervais. Still a good song though

i used to love this guy

and his wife

going out gracefully is an alien concept now

Bowie up to, I don't know, Scary Monsters, is maybe my favourite artist but I totally lost interest after that. Where Are We Now is the first genuinely good think I've heard from him for years. Haven't checked the album out though, something tells me not to, I dunno.

Listening to post 80s Bowie is the saddest I've ever been listening to music.

droid Guest

Only a few tunes in, but so far, its the best thing Ive heard from him in ages. Was it Reynolds who mentioned Lodger? Has a similar feel alright.

Dunno what they were thinking with the cover though.

Bowie up to, I don't know, Scary Monsters, is maybe my favourite artist
    Wait, stop, hold on, why?

Still gutted he wouldn't do the Olympics, so we got Macca instead. 'We Could Be Heros' finale would've been pretty epic.

Not really interested in his new stuff tho.

Wait, stop, hold on, why?
    Well, I think he went down hill (backwards) at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Well, I think he went down hill (backwards) at that point.
    You don't rate "Let's Dance"? That's the greatest cocaine album ever.

No, sorry, I mean why is he your favorite artist? I found that quite surprising.

1971 to 1980, in particular onwards from 1974, he's probably my favourite artist too. There are plenty of duds in there, don't get me wrong, but the highs are so amazing that it doesn't really matter. As much as Bowie liberally took influences from everywhere, and barely bothered to disguise this, who else could ever have fused those influences to make such a unique record as Station to Station?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 14-03-2013 at 09:45 AM.

i cant decide between who had the best run - bowie from 1971 to 1980 or prince from 1980 to 1988.

That's the greatest cocaine album ever.
    lets dance is brilliant for the first three tracks. after that, i cant remember much about it.

The first three tracks are insanely good actually - just had to check what they were.

Never got Prince in the same way, but I can see the comparison for those who did.