rubberdingyrapids

i read this by mr reynolds (to use the NY times' quaintly formal style sheet):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/arts/music/the-singer-who-fell-to-earth.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

lots of observations, though still unsure what his actual opinion of the new record is (other than it being a twilight masterpiece). on a similar note, im really glad bowie is back but im not sure hearing him as confessional lyricist will be that good/interesting, even though its what people (boringly) want. its slightly dissapointing actually, this (contemporary?) idea that he SHOULD be more honest, naked, intimate, personal etc etc - you probably get a better (or more interesting at least) sense of him as a person from his act/persona than you will from openly/deliberately personal lyrics. i dont think that style of confessional lyricism comes easy to him, and hes probably been wise not to go for it.

CrowleyHead

The stars record is just abysmal lyrically. But I love the fact that he decided to blatantly rip-off Scott on the last song, it's SUCH a Climate Of Hunters song.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
'Where Are We Now?' sounds like that song he did in Extras when he was ripping it out of Gervais. Still a good song though

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bowie up to, I don't know, Scary Monsters, is maybe my favourite artist but I totally lost interest after that. Where Are We Now is the first genuinely good think I've heard from him for years. Haven't checked the album out though, something tells me not to, I dunno.

D

droid

Only a few tunes in, but so far, its the best thing Ive heard from him in ages. Was it Reynolds who mentioned Lodger? Has a similar feel alright.

Dunno what they were thinking with the cover though.

Trillhouse

Still gutted he wouldn't do the Olympics, so we got Macca instead. 'We Could Be Heros' finale would've been pretty epic.

Not really interested in his new stuff tho.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
1971 to 1980, in particular onwards from 1974, he's probably my favourite artist too. There are plenty of duds in there, don't get me wrong, but the highs are so amazing that it doesn't really matter. As much as Bowie liberally took influences from everywhere, and barely bothered to disguise this, who else could ever have fused those influences to make such a unique record as Station to Station?

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i cant decide between who had the best run - bowie from 1971 to 1980 or prince from 1980 to 1988.

That's the greatest cocaine album ever.

lets dance is brilliant for the first three tracks. after that, i cant remember much about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The first three tracks are insanely good actually - just had to check what they were.

Never got Prince in the same way, but I can see the comparison for those who did.

rubberdingyrapids

the first three are stunning. i know some people think you shouldnt frontload an album with all the best songs, but when theyre that good, duh, of course you should.

imo prince was to the 80s what bowie was to the 70s. i know some people dont like the comparison cos they dont see prince as rock enough, but i cant think who else it would be. unless you can make madonna and prince into one person.

also, can anyone think of a more devastating bowie song than wild is the wind? whenever people say he has no soul, blah blah (not sure if people still think this in 2013), thats the song that shows theyre totally wrong.

i am still putting off hearing the new album.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I never got the 'no soul' criticism - seems completely bizarre to me, as though there's only one way to put emotional impact into a song/track.

Wild is the Wind - someone could point out that it's a cover, and attribute the soulfulness to that. But it's one of the most amazing songs ever, agreed.

CrowleyHead

imo prince was to the 80s what bowie was to the 70s. i know some people dont like the comparison cos they dont see prince as rock enough, but i cant think who else it would be. unless you can make madonna and prince into one person.

There is some definitive influence, especially around the Young Americans-era. I remember watching "Cracked Actor", and hearing Bowie do the Prince "AOOOUUU!!!!" And dropping everything in my hands like "WHAT!?!? HE GOT IT FROM HIM!?!?!?" Of course, I was also watching it, and moaning at how badly I've realized Gaga's been cribbing her stage designs from him.

D

droid

Station to Station is like the connoisseurs choice of Bowie LP's isnt it? Joint 2nd for me with Heroes after Low.

rubberdingyrapids

hunky dory or zigggy are the meat and potatoes rock fan's bowie album of choice.

"WHAT!?!? HE GOT IT FROM HIM!?!?!?"

im sure i read something about the purple rain movie being inspired by the ziggy concept.

Last edited: