Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definitive UK Curry House Throwdown

Hansa's in Leeds is very good, but not as nice as Prashad, although i've not been since it moved (10 years ago it was formica, then it got Gordon Ramsey'ed). Many think it has lost its charm over the years, but the food was still aces when I last went- starter platter and dosa's rule.

There are tonnes of good curry houses in this part of W. Yorkshire. There are 3 in our village alone (two good, one very average)-asking for recommendations from anyone ends up being an hour long discussion.

Even the Council has helpful recommendations!- http://www.visitbradford.com/food-an...rry-Guide.aspx
    Last edited by matt b; 15-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Good thread.

I was gonna say the Kastoori in Tooting but a quick search finds that it's shut, which is a fucking TRAGEDY.

So it's Vijays in Kilburn. South Indian. Really, really, really good.

http://www.vijayrestaurant.co.uk/aboutus.html

I still travel up there even though I'm south again now. Have the keema. Really, do.

The chops in Tayyabs are wicked, the rest is meh

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    The chops in Tayyabs are wicked, the rest is meh
    Dried meats, fool.

Ah, I was waiting for a non-London option. I don't think I've ever been anywhere genuinely top class outside the M25 (except maybe Mother India's Cafe), but that's largely because I haven't tried all that hard.

I was also waiting for someone from eg Wimbledon to come and challenge Luka's assertion of East Ham's primacy, but then I remembered that noone on Dissensus goes west of the A5 other than for carnival.
    The best curries are probably outside London. The Golden Mile in Leicester, for instance, is meant to be excellent. It's an Indian/Bangladeshi mile of shops and restaurants in Leicester. Ashamed to say, when I lived in Leicester, I never ventured there. Maybe something to do with all the white people in Leicester calling that area 'Bangladesh' in a derogatory way that made me not consider its appeal.

That place in Brum is bloody terrific, I tell you. Service is impeccable, and you'll eat for about a tenner.

im always happy with a 5 pound buffet from the mad vegetarian place on chapel market too
    Living nearby, it's something I've been meaning to do for ages. What I'm suspect of with buffets (although less so if it's veggie) is that it's really watery and low-quality, and will have been there ages. How's this place stack up?

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Dried meats, fool.
    oh cool I'll try that next time wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Bangpuss View Post
    What I'm suspect of with buffets (although less so if it's veggie) is that it's really watery and low-quality, and will have been there ages. How's this place stack up?
    I guess with buffets there's a positive feedback thing, in that the less popular ones will have lower turnover so the food sits there longer, whereas the better ones will sell more which means they have to refill the pans more often and it's more likely to be really fresh.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

The Golden Mile in Leicester, for instance, is meant to be excellent.
    Bobby's was the place to go about 17 years ago, although Golden Mile / Belgrave Road always seemed to be more about sweets, saris and gold more than savoury food at that time.

We used to go to a very good Nepalese restaurant in Brum, but rarely hit the Balti Triangle, because we were not real fans of baltis (always underwhelming).

Whilst on an East Midlands tip, if you want the worst curry house in the UK, go to Sapna's (aka Scrapna's, due to the likelihood of a fight breaking out) in Nottingham.
    Last edited by matt b; 15-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Living nearby, it's something I've been meaning to do for ages. What I'm suspect of with buffets (although less so if it's veggie) is that it's really watery and low-quality, and will have been there ages. How's this place stack up?
    i like it. i go really early after work becasue i dont like queuing for buffets and it gets busy. its not watery its very oily but its tasty and its a fiver and you can bring your booze and eat as much as you like. its also full of damaged people like charity shops are.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    its also full of damaged people like charity shops are.
    What's full of damaged people, the restaurant or the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Yeah, this is very much his kind of thread.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the House Committee on Un-Dissensian Activities, there's a place on B***k Lane that deserves a mention. Can't remember what it's called but it's on the corner of one of the smaller roads leading off to the east, and is basically the curry equivalent of a greasy spoon. The tables and chairs look like they've been pinched from a down-at-heel state comprehensive, the water is served in battered metal jugs and the walls are decorated with these amazing posters of hilariously macho-camp Pakistani wrestlers. The food obviously isn't the most awesome curry you've ever eaten or anything like that but it's decent and pretty cheap. A good antidote to those upmarket places that are all tasteful dim lighting, Indo-jazz at subliminal volume and menus that overuse the word 'authentic'.
    Yes, this place is wicked! Such a funny vibe.

Tayyabs is nice, including the curries, IMO but the sheer insane busyness of it robs it of much of its enjoyment for me. Trick is to go at lunch time, or in the evening I go to Mirch Masala on Commercial road which is similar but much less busy. I think it's very nice - the lamb methi (fenugreek leaf) is well nice, though the methi comes out in your sweat a bit the next day which may or may not antagonise bedfellows.

On the veg tip I second Jai Krishna on Stroud Green Road and Rasa Stoke Newington.

The Kashmir in Bradford was amazing when I went a few times about 15 or so years ago when I was 12-14. The main meat dishes were about 3 and I had keema curry for the first time.

i'll take you there, knock for me and we'll go. i took your mate edmund but he has a vegetable phobia so he just watched me eat.

jashan turnpike lane all day

The best curries are probably outside London.
    I've always had this unfounded prejudice that assumes that the best curry outside of London will be very good but generally close to anglo-indian in style and content, whereas more London places will do different styles of thing. But that's based on almost no evidence...