Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definitive UK Curry House Throwdown

this is excellent so i'm absolutely going to go to town on posting.

my top 3 right now have got to be lahore kabab near whitechapel, al frash in birmingham (in the balti triangle - naans the size of tables no lie check it - http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/339/13...ari-naan-photo) and my absolute favourite the murgh masala in croydon (south-ish, just next door to the walkabout wetherspoons).

all 3 are bring your own. lahore despite its name is not a kebab house but a multi story curry powerhouse that does not just do lamb chops to rival taayabs' (it's just down the road), but also a lamb chop curry (so with sauce) on a friday for the headstrong.

murgh masala is just good all round - great cos it's in croydon too. massive selection with stuff like haleems that's a bit unusual. lots of mutton dishes. their chickeen keema's fucking mindblowing. nice and spicy too.

al frash is totally different to the london / southern ones. lots of fish and balti dishes and a great mixed grill. fucking excellent value too. they do an 'aphrodisia' with minced chicken and minced prawn plus bare chilli which is definitely pretty special [it's also just a short taxi ride away from the rainbow club for 2:31 on a saturday (had to bring jackin in to it somehow haha!]...

lahore kabab near whitechapel
    i agree with that

I might have a T-shirt from that place knocking about somewhere...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Is anybody in touch with Stelfox?

Any opinions on which is the best of the Drummond Street crop? And is it the sort of place where you can't really go wrong because the competition keeps standards fairly high, or the sort of place where you have to be careful because the reputation keeps the crap ones afloat?

I've only been to Diwana, which is Quite Good, but I fancy a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    Any opinions on which is the best of the Drummond Street crop? And is it the sort of place where you can't really go wrong because the competition keeps standards fairly high, or the sort of place where you have to be careful because the reputation keeps the crap ones afloat?

I've only been to Diwana, which is Quite Good, but I fancy a change.
    Hmm, I usually go to Ravi Shankar (good) and have been to Diwana. Have been to a third one and it wasn't as good...

yeeehah!

Kashmir halal on ridley road Dalston does fantastic and very cheap Samosas, bhajia and stuff

Paradise and Salims on Turnpike Lane do a splendid nosh for takeaway or sitting down

I's also recommend a couple of places down London Road, West Croydon, if i could remember their names

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    yeeehah!

Kashmir halal on ridley road Dalston does fantastic and very cheap Samosas, bhajia and stuff

Paradise and Salims on Turnpike Lane do a splendid nosh for takeaway or sitting down

I's also recommend a couple of places down London Road, West Croydon, if i could remember their names
    Cool
    Is Kashmir on the North side right near Kingsland Rd, or on the South side a bit further East?

Quote Originally Posted by jackjambie View Post
    al frash in birmingham (in the balti triangle - naans the size of tables no lie check it - http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/339/13...ari-naan-photo)
    That looks like a smaller version of the "family naan" (so called because you could provide shelter for a family under one, I think) that you get at the random place in Walsall that we stop off at on the way back from North Wales or the Lakes. It's a good curry anyway, which given that it's totally off the map supports the claim that curry in the west midlands is generally excellent, but a naan bread that can stop four hungry climbers in their tracks is not fucking around.

On a related note, a friend of mine who used to live in Tooting once tried to order a family size masala dosa to take away for a party, only to find out that the place didn't do them to take away because they're about the size of a surfboard and you'd have trouble carrying one down the street.

Just by kingsland road...
    near the bagel place which used to be nice, but is not anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    yeeehah!

hmm.. Paradise on Turnpike Lane is MEDIOCRE in the extreme in my opinion!

Jashan on Turnpike Lane. that's all you need to know.

I went to Jashan the other week, good place and interesting menu. The appallingly renamed Tasty Bytes on West Green Road does unbelievably good Sri Lankan/Indian food though, best in that area imo.

Are there any good Mauritian restaurants at Turnpike Lane? The ones I've been to have been pretty mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    hmm.. Paradise on Turnpike Lane is MEDIOCRE in the extreme in my opinion!

Jashan on Turnpike Lane. that's all you need to know.
    wow rilly? i find it's good stuff - wide but unpretentious menu, well spiced food and always seems to be fresh

mind you, i've never tried Jashan so here's looking fwd to some next level exquisite scran...

will sees stelfox from time to time. he lives in Walthamstow.

"Whilst on an East Midlands tip, if you want the worst curry house in the UK, go to Sapna's (aka Scrapna's, due to the likelihood of a fight breaking out) in Nottingham."
    I used to go to Sapna's all the time when I was in Nottingham. Probably cos it was the only place open after the clubs shut. I always had a dish called swot which I think was so named cos it was sweet and hot. It had loads of spice and also banana and pineapple, it was great.
    Tayyabs - the dry meat is one of the best things I've ever eaten. People told me to shut up because I kept talking about it so much while eating and afterwards. It's really good, a really unusual taste. I tried to find out how to make it but it takes too long for my short-attention span. Agreed though about the busy-ness spoiling the experience, they've actually got people in jackets that say "Tayyabs Crowd Control" on the back preventing trouble. It's too much.
    There's a good one off Brick Lane called Miraz - it's like a canteen, very cheap, no booze (bring your own) but allegedly it's where the guys from the other restaurants eat when they want some good food instead of the shite they serve. It's nice anyway.
    My girlfriend used to live in Yorkshire and said that the curries in Bradford were so much better than the London version that she doesn't really bother with curries in London after too many disappointing experiences. She doesn't turn her nose up at Miraz or Tayyabs though. I should say that she's a vegetarian though so take her opinions with a pinch of salt.