Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Definitive UK Curry House Throwdown

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    Any opinions on which is the best of the Drummond Street crop? And is it the sort of place where you can't really go wrong because the competition keeps standards fairly high, or the sort of place where you have to be careful because the reputation keeps the crap ones afloat?

I've only been to Diwana, which is Quite Good, but I fancy a change.
    Chutneys is awesome for dosas and the lunchtime buffet. And the chutneys.

Dishoom in Shoreditch was better than expected, but I was very dubious about the heaviness of the food, in that they'd prob just added excess ghee to everything, which is a bit of a cheat...

I ate at Brilliant's this evening in Southall. Was on my own deciding to get lost after working in Uxbridge and the tubes getting messed up. Didn't get to seriously do the menu, but the pickle tray was serious business and the Chicken Methi on the money. Roomali Roti and Bhatura nice breads both.

"North Indian Punjabi food with Kenyan influences" - Gordon Ramsay and Michael Winner can't both be wrong right?

http://www.saravanabhavan.co.uk/about.html

has opened a branch at the bottom of charing cross road near the national portrait gallery.

Really liking a Goan place a few minutes' walk from my new gaff here in Exeter. Fantastic fish and seafood curries with a flavour palette that seems almost closer to Thai or Vietnamese than your standard "Anglo-Indian" (i.e. Anglo-Bangladeshi) fare - lots of coconut, lemongrass, coriander. Gonna eat there tonight, I reckon.

(Please don't tell Raj at the Gurkha Kitchen near my old place as he will be very jealous...)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

ambala (not a curry house) is still good but seem to have cut back on their savories. no more potato bonda. but have started doing chaat.
    i bet wembley is full of interesting stuff. maybe i should do a pith helmet mission there one day.