Definitive UK Curry House Throwdown

benjybars

village elder.
yeeehah!

Kashmir halal on ridley road Dalston does fantastic and very cheap Samosas, bhajia and stuff

Paradise and Salims on Turnpike Lane do a splendid nosh for takeaway or sitting down

I's also recommend a couple of places down London Road, West Croydon, if i could remember their names

hmm.. Paradise on Turnpike Lane is MEDIOCRE in the extreme in my opinion!

Jashan on Turnpike Lane. that's all you need to know.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I went to Jashan the other week, good place and interesting menu. The appallingly renamed Tasty Bytes on West Green Road does unbelievably good Sri Lankan/Indian food though, best in that area imo.

Are there any good Mauritian restaurants at Turnpike Lane? The ones I've been to have been pretty mediocre

sufi

lala
hmm.. Paradise on Turnpike Lane is MEDIOCRE in the extreme in my opinion!

Jashan on Turnpike Lane. that's all you need to know.
wow rilly? i find it's good stuff - wide but unpretentious menu, well spiced food and always seems to be fresh

mind you, i've never tried Jashan so here's looking fwd to some next level exquisite scran...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Whilst on an East Midlands tip, if you want the worst curry house in the UK, go to Sapna's (aka Scrapna's, due to the likelihood of a fight breaking out) in Nottingham."
I used to go to Sapna's all the time when I was in Nottingham. Probably cos it was the only place open after the clubs shut. I always had a dish called swot which I think was so named cos it was sweet and hot. It had loads of spice and also banana and pineapple, it was great.
Tayyabs - the dry meat is one of the best things I've ever eaten. People told me to shut up because I kept talking about it so much while eating and afterwards. It's really good, a really unusual taste. I tried to find out how to make it but it takes too long for my short-attention span. Agreed though about the busy-ness spoiling the experience, they've actually got people in jackets that say "Tayyabs Crowd Control" on the back preventing trouble. It's too much.
There's a good one off Brick Lane called Miraz - it's like a canteen, very cheap, no booze (bring your own) but allegedly it's where the guys from the other restaurants eat when they want some good food instead of the shite they serve. It's nice anyway.
My girlfriend used to live in Yorkshire and said that the curries in Bradford were so much better than the London version that she doesn't really bother with curries in London after too many disappointing experiences. She doesn't turn her nose up at Miraz or Tayyabs though. I should say that she's a vegetarian though so take her opinions with a pinch of salt.

connect_icut

Any opinions on which is the best of the Drummond Street crop? And is it the sort of place where you can't really go wrong because the competition keeps standards fairly high, or the sort of place where you have to be careful because the reputation keeps the crap ones afloat?

I've only been to Diwana, which is Quite Good, but I fancy a change.

Chutneys is awesome for dosas and the lunchtime buffet. And the chutneys.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dishoom in Shoreditch was better than expected, but I was very dubious about the heaviness of the food, in that they'd prob just added excess ghee to everything, which is a bit of a cheat...

comelately

Wild Horses
I ate at Brilliant's this evening in Southall. Was on my own deciding to get lost after working in Uxbridge and the tubes getting messed up. Didn't get to seriously do the menu, but the pickle tray was serious business and the Chicken Methi on the money. Roomali Roti and Bhatura nice breads both.

"North Indian Punjabi food with Kenyan influences" - Gordon Ramsay and Michael Winner can't both be wrong right?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Really liking a Goan place a few minutes' walk from my new gaff here in Exeter. Fantastic fish and seafood curries with a flavour palette that seems almost closer to Thai or Vietnamese than your standard "Anglo-Indian" (i.e. Anglo-Bangladeshi) fare - lots of coconut, lemongrass, coriander. Gonna eat there tonight, I reckon.

(Please don't tell Raj at the Gurkha Kitchen near my old place as he will be very jealous...)

luka

ambala (not a curry house) is still good but seem to have cut back on their savories. no more potato bonda. but have started doing chaat.
i bet wembley is full of interesting stuff. maybe i should do a pith helmet mission there one day.