Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how much do you drink in a normal week?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Same here, gave up just before Christmas and since then (with the exception of NYE) haven't smoked one single solitary cigarette. And I never smoked weed. I don't feel loads better than I did before but my teeth are definitely whiter.
    Bloody hell Rich, I'm impressed.

I've still somehow failed to get addicted to nicotine, despite my best efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Yeah, probably costs at least that here - pubs are cripplingly expensive these days. I wish you hadn't put it like that.
    Even at 3.50 a pint or whatever, one of the pleasant things about coming back to the UK is how much cheaper beer is there than in Holland.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I wouldnt be able to say in units but not very much, only really drink at the weekend, maybe 5 or 6 half litre beers or a bottle or two of lidl wine/ pre-made mojito.

Even at 3.50 a pint or whatever, one of the pleasant things about coming back to the UK is how much cheaper beer is there than in Holland.
    Yeah true 2.50e for less than half a pint, usually of shit heineken. Nowhere has cider aswell which ruined drinking here for me really.

Only place ive found the good stuff is a small squatted restaurant in oost Amsterdam. westons organic (!!!) and loads of trappist beers all very cheap, 2.70 suggested donation for bottle of westons which is cheaper than the UK, cheap food aswell, only open mondays and thursdays tho.

i swear henry weston's is pretty cheap..... tastes like it should be

Weston's Vintage is pretty good I find, although I'm a beer drinker much more than a cider drinker.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

just answer the question tea stop being coy

LOTS, ok?

Oh I dunno, probably 40 units or so. When I'm here by myself I'll typically open a bottle of wine one evening and finish it the next. If I don't have wine I'll usually have a couple of beers. Beers are smaller here but often quite strong. I often have a bottle of whisky on the go too, but I don't usually have more than a shot in one go.

thank you. that makes me exactly average then.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    just curious, how much on average would 50 units cost over there? here, that could easily be $150-250 per week...christ, almost $1,000 a month on booze?!! $10-12k a year?!!
    That depends very much on what you drink, doesn't it? I think your estimate is a bit high, sounds like what you might pay drinking spirits in a bar. A half-litre can of 5% lager might cost a quid or so, or $1.50 in US terms, and that's 2.5 units, so 40p a unit. Even in a pub, a 3.50 pint of let's say 4.5% beer works out at 1.40 a unit, or just over $2. And outside the SE of England, it's still common for pints to be closer to 2 than 3.

i didn't understand the definition of "units", thought it was just a reference to any one drink, be it wine/beer/spirits. so maybe by that measure i was a bit high.

pints at nyc bars are anywhere from $3.50 (during happy hour) to $6-8 each depending on what you order. fancy cocktails are a whole other story, can run $10-15 ea. but people don't normally have more than a couple.

of course, if you're drinking at home, you can got to a liquor store and buy a bottle of wine or six-pack of beer for $10.
    Last edited by Leo; 17-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Oh right, well yeah, most "drinks" contain >1 unit of alcohol. A unit is 10ml of pure alcohol, so that's a 25ml shot of a 40% spirit, 200ml of a 5% beer etc.

30-50 pints of beer a week would be nuts.... Although eminently doable in the right week, of course...

I have long suffered under the illusion/refused to acknowledge that most pints are closer to three units of alcohol than two, so I probably have anywhere from 20 to 40 in any given week. The recommended limit per week for men is still 21 in the UK, and 14 for women....

"Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week, no more than four units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.
    Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, no more than three units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week."

No more than 3/4 units in any one day......wow. I do the alcohol-free days no problem, but two pints in one sitting is already obliterating that daily limit

That's bollox though, innit, I mean it's just a number arrived at by some committee. Like "five portions of fruit and veg", as though it were a magic number set in stone. Obviously it's better to eat some fruit and veg and have a moderate alcohol intake than to be a raging lush who doesn't know what a carrot is, but putting a number on recommended intakes is only ever going to be a very, very rough guideline based on estimates, risk factors and averages. For one thing, the ability to metabolize alcohol varies enormously from person to person.

Didn't there use to be government advice posters in France telling people not to drink more than two litres of wine a day? Unless that's an urban myth...I'd like it not to be, though.

Edit: while googling the France thing I stumbled across this - http://www.thelocal.se/45078/20121214/#.UUbrHVcqQoE. Is Sweden the most uptight country in the world?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 18-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Obviously it is an arbitrary number, which is also problematic as I have absolutely no idea of what damage years and years of high alcohol consumption could wreak... What moderate intake really is, is very difficult to judge, particularly as high alcohol intake is very normalised by the culture in the UK, for example

I guess my point with the previous post is that the recommended alcohol limits are SO out of kilter with everyday reality (particularly the daily limit), that they become almost meaningless (whereas five portions of fruit and veg a day, while high, is an achievable target to build into one's life). How many (youngish) people in the UK never have two drinks at one sitting during the week? Only those who don't drink at all, I'd suspect.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 18-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    That depends very much on what you drink, doesn't it? I think your estimate is a bit high, sounds like what you might pay drinking spirits in a bar. A half-litre can of 5% lager might cost a quid or so, or $1.50 in US terms, and that's 2.5 units, so 40p a unit. Even in a pub, a 3.50 pint of let's say 4.5% beer works out at 1.40 a unit, or just over $2. And outside the SE of England, it's still common for pints to be closer to 2 than 3.
    I dunno man, i don't think many places pints are closer to 2 than 3 pounds these days.

You get so resigned to paying a lot in London I don't really turn a hair at 3.80 for a pint of good beer in a nice pub nowadays..