how much do you drink in a normal week?

craner

Beast of Burden
Not enough to to be unable to function in my job and get promoted to senior management, but enough to seriously cut down my life expectancy.

I will stop drinking so much for multiple reasons, but there's a Balzac quote that worries me, which goes something like, "addictions that can be solved in middle age will often recur with a vengeance in old age."

craner

Beast of Burden
It's the booze and fags combo that is the real killer. Yet they are so pleasant of an evening.

luka

Alcoholism has become quite an issue among my peers. I know a lot. At this age it really starts damaging the body. I drink enough to have damaged my skin and my digestive system. A friend of a friend regularly shits himself. There's lots of red faces and broken veins around. Some of my friends shake violently every day. Withdrawal means sweats and insomnia. They exhibit noticeable paranoia and volatility of mood. Depression and anxiety.

craner

Beast of Burden
Digestive system and heart worry me. I still look about ten years younger than I am though.

craner

Beast of Burden
Only for social reasons, I think. But it's also great for social reasons. Same with fags, to an extent.

luka

Did you get yourself into big trouble with the booze did you droid? I'm trying to help a mate give up cos he is in serious distress but it's not easy, particularly as I drink a fair bit myself. Did you go to rehab?

droid

No, not at all, didnt mean to give the impression.

Drank a bit as a teenager probably from about 15, mainly on the knack or at peoples houses, nothing too unusual. I remember the exact moment I decided it wasnt worth it. Probably about 17, heading into town on the top deck of the bus on a sunny Saturday morning after a session at a mates gaf. Toxic sweats, nausea, headache. Just had an epiphany that it was a mugs game.

Was smoking hash and doing acid and various other things around the same time and hadnt really gotten into pubs so wasnt too hard. Surprisingly good discipline. I cant think of a moment Ive regretted it. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made.

An old mate of mine passed away last year after years of being on and off the wagon. Hed been off the drink for a year after another relapse. His folks helped him to buy a little house - went out that night to celebrate and that was that. Only found out a few months later.

Last edited:

luka

Ah, yeah, the mate wants to give up unlike oliver. His brother found him sobbing with an almost empty bottle of vodka at 11am last week. It's got a bit out of control.

luka

The lad who keeps shitting his pants is getting one of those implants that make it basically impossible to drink.

martin

----
I love booze and don't regret a single drink I ever had. It's one of life's genuine pleasures and has never done me a shred of harm.

I gave up smoking nearly 11 months ago and miss it occasionally...but, even in my bleaker hours, I can appreciate that fags pretty much involve breathing in carcinogenic shit while paying £10+ a day to put some Philip Morris exec's filthy brats through uni. Alcohol, though, I can't fault in the slightest. I was born with a ferocious thirst and quenching it in pubs is my respite from the brutish, hellish onslaught of 'daily life'. If anything's fucked my body and mind up beyond repair, it's been having to get up before 10am.