Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: how much do you drink in a normal week?

I'm not the mate, just to be clear. I'm fine.

No, not at all, didnt mean to give the impression.

Drank a bit as a teenager probably from about 15, mainly on the knack or at peoples houses, nothing too unusual. I remember the exact moment I decided it wasnt worth it. Probably about 17, heading into town on the top deck of the bus on a sunny Saturday morning after a session at a mates gaf. Toxic sweats, nausea, headache. Just had an epiphany that it was a mugs game.

Was smoking hash and doing acid and various other things around the same time and hadnt really gotten into pubs so wasnt too hard. Surprisingly good discipline. I cant think of a moment Ive regretted it. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made.

An old mate of mine passed away last year after years of being on and off the wagon. Hed been off the drink for a year after another relapse. His folks helped him to buy a little house - went out that night to celebrate and that was that. Only found out a few months later.
    Last edited by droid; 20-04-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Ah, yeah, the mate wants to give up unlike oliver. His brother found him sobbing with an almost empty bottle of vodka at 11am last week. It's got a bit out of control.

The lad who keeps shitting his pants is getting one of those implants that make it basically impossible to drink.

I love booze and don't regret a single drink I ever had. It's one of life's genuine pleasures and has never done me a shred of harm.

I gave up smoking nearly 11 months ago and miss it occasionally...but, even in my bleaker hours, I can appreciate that fags pretty much involve breathing in carcinogenic shit while paying 10+ a day to put some Philip Morris exec's filthy brats through uni. Alcohol, though, I can't fault in the slightest. I was born with a ferocious thirst and quenching it in pubs is my respite from the brutish, hellish onslaught of 'daily life'. If anything's fucked my body and mind up beyond repair, it's been having to get up before 10am.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

now that i'm older, i'm actually glad i've been such a lightweight drinker most of my life. three beers or glasses of wine is my limit, and i've never been able to drink spirits (aside from a summer campari and tonic).

and droid, i agree with much of what you said except for the comparison to heroin. i mean, it's possible to OD pretty easily on smack, even the first time. no some much with booze.

Being the brother of a wine grower and involved in the wine trade a bit it's a bit difficult to avoid the actual drinking. However, it's good (on the one side) this wine business is a bit on the posh side and so I never get drunk really, bc that's not something you're supposed to do within these circles, right? Well, the posh thing is a bit off-putting bc of the influx of snobs, but then you have people who really like and enjoy good wine. It's a bit like the peeps into music for the sake of music and the hipster clowns who are in it for the sake of "accumulating cultural capital" or some shit.

Is alcoholism a problem within those circles? Difficult to say, the overall amount of what's being drunk is fairly high I'd suppose, but you usually don't get drunk, It's usually one, two glasses an evening or so. I am in my mid 30s now, and the last time I was actually drunk as fuck was my early 20s. On the other hand I know people within the wine business who are definitley alcoholics (got their driver's licence suspended and things like that).

Someone mentioned upthread that some of his heavy drinking mates get paranoid? That's osmething new, none of the drinkers I know actually appear paranoid. Some people I know who'd smoke lots of weed on the other hand are like that. As to the question of quitting - of course it'S all about the circumstances, if a lot of your mates drink and you drink with them, you need new non-boozing friends then.

Gladly I never really smoked, except for the period my gf at the time was a fairly heavysmoker, so I started, too. When we split up, I stopped immediately.

As for the other stuff considered drugs I only smoked weed a bit, but the experience was rather lame so I didn't go any firther.

I tried quitting in January and managed to do so the whole month. Was so proud afterwards that I celebrated it with wine. I'm such a clown. Anyway, the thing is if I stop I kinda end up in social isolation.

Found this helpful at the time https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    and droid, i agree with much of what you said except for the comparison to heroin. i mean, it's possible to OD pretty easily on smack, even the first time. no some much with booze.
    OD's are almost always a result of prohibition. Users just dont know what they're buying and when a batch with high purity or an adulterated supply is normally the cause.

Its possible to maintain a reasonably normal life on opiates if you have a safe, regular supply. Just look at the medical profession.
    Last edited by droid; 21-04-2017 at 08:55 AM.

That Louis Theroux show on alcoholism is staggeringly heartbreaking.

Since we have a newborn baby I restrict myself to one beer a day. At 10am.

I drink one glass of beer per week, roughly. Depending on what I have for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    OD's are almost always a result of prohibition. Users just dont know what they're buying and when a batch with high purity or an adulterated supply is normally the cause.
    but that's my point: a person can theoretically OD on any given day, for the reasons you mention, with one fix. we don't risk the same possibility of immediate death by having one drink.

my advice would be dont become a skaghead or an alcoholic if you can avoid it.