Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: how much do you drink in a normal week?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    but that's my point: a person can theoretically OD on any given day, for the reasons you mention, with one fix. we don't risk the same possibility of immediate death by having one drink.
    Sure, but its not the substance itself that's the cause, its the legislation. Thats why OD's dropped by 90% in Portugal after decriminalisation.

Meanwhile alcohol which is legal and regulated is responsible for about 40,000 deaths per year in the UK, about 2/3 from health related causes.

Alcohol consumption is associated with lower mortality from heart disease and may also be anti-aging due to its mTOR deactivating properties.

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/alc...ti-aging-drug/

I mostly drink red wine and mostly this one lately, 2 or 3 bottles over a week.

If I had a history of alcoholism or other chronic disease in the family, I wouldn't be so blasť about drinking.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 21-04-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Alcohol consumption is associated with lower mortality from heart disease and may also be anti-aging due to its mTOR deactivating properties.

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/alc...ti-aging-drug/
    For alcohol in small amounts this is very likely true. My grandmother, who drank one glass of (mostly) mild red wine in the evenings reached the age of 95 years. A lot of her female friends with the same consume patterns got into the high 80s/90s too.

A sidenote: it's somewhat telling that a thread about booze (on a music forum) would get people reply to in relatively high numbers, while the music threads are a bit -*crickets*- these days.
    Last edited by firefinga; 22-04-2017 at 09:55 AM.

I think my life would be more fun if I drank more.

But I don't like hangovers, I don't like what it does to my digestive system, and I don't like that I turn into an absolute cock at least 25% of the time I get drunk.

Thats a 75% improvement over sobriety. Impressive!

Had to be done.

For the past few years I've suffered horrible hangovers after having as few as three pints. I'm finding it quite useful as an extra incentive to slow down on drinking as I sink into middle age. Partaking of only a single drug does feel a little dull, but everything else feels like it has too many downsides at the moment, and I don't have the temperament/self-control for microdosing.

the alcohol industry created the band 'Oaiss' as pied pipers to lead the youth away from ecstacy and dance music and towards being dickheads in anoraks. it's a disaster.

I am being boring and cutting back to see what that's like.

Actually not bad and has made Mondays more bearable (and Sunday evenings marginally less interesting).

The DrinkAware app is quite good if you want to keep track of how many units you are drinking:
    https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tools/app/

14 units a week seems comically low, still.

im in a stage where just the thought of that muggy dopey booze feeling is offputting. i also got the shits bad a couple of weeks ago and lost my beer gut as a result so im trying to consolidate that weight loss. mates having big problems with the stuff is another factor. i grew up as a smoker and only got stuck into the booze seriously in my 30s and i dont think it was ever really me. feel like it just made me a total dickhead really. some good laughs before it turned dark but ultimately bad vibes.

I've got some mates who've started running and some mates who just seem to be going into the deep end with booze or whatever. I'm not sure if it's a time of life thing or not.

I'm aiming for a happy medium, lol.

im just trying to take more drugs and drink a lot less. the booze arc is not fit for purpose. theres no plateau to sit on and enjoy lucidly for a few hours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Habit is the hardest thing. That post-work period: 6 till 8, NEED A DRINK NOW. Get past that and you're fine, the cravings disappear.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Leo

i sleep a lot better when i don't drink, wake up more refreshed and not tired during the day. i think drinking makes me snore more, which obviously interrupts sleep patterns. red wine seems to be the worst culprit.