how much do you drink in a normal week?

Leo

now that i'm older, i'm actually glad i've been such a lightweight drinker most of my life. three beers or glasses of wine is my limit, and i've never been able to drink spirits (aside from a summer campari and tonic).

and droid, i agree with much of what you said except for the comparison to heroin. i mean, it's possible to OD pretty easily on smack, even the first time. no some much with booze.

firefinga

Being the brother of a wine grower and involved in the wine trade a bit it's a bit difficult to avoid the actual drinking. However, it's good (on the one side) this wine business is a bit on the posh side and so I never get drunk really, bc that's not something you're supposed to do within these circles, right? Well, the posh thing is a bit off-putting bc of the influx of snobs, but then you have people who really like and enjoy good wine. It's a bit like the peeps into music for the sake of music and the hipster clowns who are in it for the sake of "accumulating cultural capital" or some shit.

Is alcoholism a problem within those circles? Difficult to say, the overall amount of what's being drunk is fairly high I'd suppose, but you usually don't get drunk, It's usually one, two glasses an evening or so. I am in my mid 30s now, and the last time I was actually drunk as fuck was my early 20s. On the other hand I know people within the wine business who are definitley alcoholics (got their driver's licence suspended and things like that).

Someone mentioned upthread that some of his heavy drinking mates get paranoid? That's osmething new, none of the drinkers I know actually appear paranoid. Some people I know who'd smoke lots of weed on the other hand are like that. As to the question of quitting - of course it'S all about the circumstances, if a lot of your mates drink and you drink with them, you need new non-boozing friends then.

Gladly I never really smoked, except for the period my gf at the time was a fairly heavysmoker, so I started, too. When we split up, I stopped immediately.

As for the other stuff considered drugs I only smoked weed a bit, but the experience was rather lame so I didn't go any firther.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I tried quitting in January and managed to do so the whole month. Was so proud afterwards that I celebrated it with wine. I'm such a clown. Anyway, the thing is if I stop I kinda end up in social isolation.

droid

and droid, i agree with much of what you said except for the comparison to heroin. i mean, it's possible to OD pretty easily on smack, even the first time. no some much with booze.

OD's are almost always a result of prohibition. Users just dont know what they're buying and when a batch with high purity or an adulterated supply is normally the cause.

Its possible to maintain a reasonably normal life on opiates if you have a safe, regular supply. Just look at the medical profession.

Last edited:

Leo

OD's are almost always a result of prohibition. Users just dont know what they're buying and when a batch with high purity or an adulterated supply is normally the cause.

but that's my point: a person can theoretically OD on any given day, for the reasons you mention, with one fix. we don't risk the same possibility of immediate death by having one drink.

droid

but that's my point: a person can theoretically OD on any given day, for the reasons you mention, with one fix. we don't risk the same possibility of immediate death by having one drink.

Sure, but its not the substance itself that's the cause, its the legislation. Thats why OD's dropped by 90% in Portugal after decriminalisation.

Meanwhile alcohol which is legal and regulated is responsible for about 40,000 deaths per year in the UK, about 2/3 from health related causes.

Alcohol consumption is associated with lower mortality from heart disease and may also be anti-aging due to its mTOR deactivating properties.

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/alcohol-anti-aging-drug/

I mostly drink red wine and mostly this one lately, 2 or 3 bottles over a week.

607989_a_terre-di-faiano-primitivo-appassime-607989

If I had a history of alcoholism or other chronic disease in the family, I wouldn't be so blasé about drinking.

Last edited:

firefinga

Alcohol consumption is associated with lower mortality from heart disease and may also be anti-aging due to its mTOR deactivating properties.

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/alcohol-anti-aging-drug/

For alcohol in small amounts this is very likely true. My grandmother, who drank one glass of (mostly) mild red wine in the evenings reached the age of 95 years. A lot of her female friends with the same consume patterns got into the high 80s/90s too.

A sidenote: it's somewhat telling that a thread about booze (on a music forum) would get people reply to in relatively high numbers, while the music threads are a bit -*crickets*- these days.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think my life would be more fun if I drank more.

But I don't like hangovers, I don't like what it does to my digestive system, and I don't like that I turn into an absolute cock at least 25% of the time I get drunk.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Had to be done.

For the past few years I've suffered horrible hangovers after having as few as three pints. I'm finding it quite useful as an extra incentive to slow down on drinking as I sink into middle age. Partaking of only a single drug does feel a little dull, but everything else feels like it has too many downsides at the moment, and I don't have the temperament/self-control for microdosing.

luka

the alcohol industry created the band 'Oaiss' as pied pipers to lead the youth away from ecstacy and dance music and towards being dickheads in anoraks. it's a disaster.

john eden

male pale and stale
I am being boring and cutting back to see what that's like.

Actually not bad and has made Mondays more bearable (and Sunday evenings marginally less interesting).

The DrinkAware app is quite good if you want to keep track of how many units you are drinking:
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tools/app/

14 units a week seems comically low, still.

luka

im in a stage where just the thought of that muggy dopey booze feeling is offputting. i also got the shits bad a couple of weeks ago and lost my beer gut as a result so im trying to consolidate that weight loss. mates having big problems with the stuff is another factor. i grew up as a smoker and only got stuck into the booze seriously in my 30s and i dont think it was ever really me. feel like it just made me a total dickhead really. some good laughs before it turned dark but ultimately bad vibes.

john eden

male pale and stale
I've got some mates who've started running and some mates who just seem to be going into the deep end with booze or whatever. I'm not sure if it's a time of life thing or not.

I'm aiming for a happy medium, lol.