Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Jungle 2013

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default Jungle 2013

    You guys seem quite up on your music, very honest with your opinions so I wanted to make a thread about some of the stuff made by me & a few producer mates I know, all making what we consider authentic jungle, aiming to replicate the golden era sound of 93-96. I'm quite curious about what you lot will say about these tracks, so don't hold back.

    https://soundcloud.com/dwarde/dwarde-the-attic
    http://soundcloud.com/kidlib/dj-harmony-boo-kid-lib-remix
    http://soundcloud.com/tim-reaper/mr-sensi-tim-reaper-we-couldnt
    http://soundcloud.com/rickyforce/intense-time-space-continuem
    http://soundcloud.com/x-nation/never-get-away-clip
    http://soundcloud.com/dj-vocoda/warped-dynamics-lord-of-the
    http://soundcloud.com/sciwax/nebula-saturn
    http://soundcloud.com/dwarde/dwarde-tim-reaper-untitled
    http://soundcloud.com/percussive-p/vibesnow
    Last edited by Tim Reaper; 01-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Seeing as no one else has chimed in, I'll offer my tuppence worth.

    First off I like to say, I liked the tunes.

    On a more genreal note about new jungle being produced.. As someone who lived through it the first time I find it's resurgence interesting, but it's hard to see where these new tracks fit in. Is this a retro movement? I mean, are these new jungle tunes being produced by young people who had no experience of it the first time around, who are trying to bring back an old sound to get an experience of a bygone era?
    It's not quite like the various soul or jazz revivals we've had. Like the Norther Soul scene that somewhat recontextualised an old sound. Or others that offer the oppertunity to experience the vibrancy of a live band at its peak, giving the listener something that ageing stalwarts or classic recording can't offer.

    Being an electronically produced musical form, Jungle records from the 90s sound exactly the same as they did the day they were produced. There's no sign that years of touring and drug abuse are taking their toll, or dodgy later period albums to detract from oovre. They are free from the frailties of mortal men, because they never existed in a 'live' sense.

    But the years have given us a established cannon of classics, from the well worn to the lesser known tracks those deep into the genre covert. There is this body of work that is of a really high standard at the top of the jungle pyramid that has stood the test of time, then hundreds of tracks of lesser note, that to some extent have and will be forgotten about.
    If there is a new Jungle scene away from the internet, for the sake of it not being a purely retro thing new tracks are essential. But from a casual listeners point of view, if these new jungle tracks want to add something to the genre they need to be hitting the top of that pyramid, otherwise they're just adding to the noise.

    To continue on a slightly old and jaded note. Over the past 20 odd years of hip hop to Jungle & dnb, then every other EDM genre that's given it a go, I think I've heard the Amen break cut up in ever way imaginable. That and the fact you can now get a plugin that does the work for you suggest that it has lost it's magic somewhat.

  3. #3
    droid Guest

    Default

    Tim! What are you doing here? Is nowhere safe from your tendrils?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    Is this a retro movement? I mean, are these new jungle tunes being produced by young people who had no experience of it the first time around, who are trying to bring back an old sound to get an experience of a bygone era?
    Yeah, I can only really speak for myself, but in general, most of the artists I posted weren't around during that golden era time. For me personally, I do like a fair bit of the drum & bass being made now but there's just something about the way that jungle used to sound before it became the d&b that it is now, it really makes me want to keep that style going, whilst not compromising the formula.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    It's not quite like the various soul or jazz revivals we've had. Like the Norther Soul scene that somewhat recontextualised an old sound. Or others that offer the oppertunity to experience the vibrancy of a live band at its peak, giving the listener something that ageing stalwarts or classic recording can't offer.
    Yeah, I see what you mean about the old type of jungle not really being recontexualised in these newer examples, but I think that's part of the appeal. For me, it really is as close as you can get to the old sound, some producers using the technology available now to get it the style sounding cleaner than ever, whilst others choose to limit themselves to the technology available back then, to get even more authenticity into the music. There's been a fair bit of movements/labels since the era has passed which have tried their angle with jungle and there's not many that you can say have come close to hitting the mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    If there is a new Jungle scene away from the internet, for the sake of it not being a purely retro thing new tracks are essential. But from a casual listeners point of view, if these new jungle tracks want to add something to the genre they need to be hitting the top of that pyramid, otherwise they're just adding to the noise.
    Good point tbh, I can't properly phrase my take on this but there are tracks/artists nowadays that when you hear them, they are aiming pretty high on the pyramid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    To continue on a slightly old and jaded note. Over the past 20 odd years of hip hop to Jungle & dnb, then every other EDM genre that's given it a go, I think I've heard the Amen break cut up in ever way imaginable. That and the fact you can now get a plugin that does the work for you suggest that it has lost it's magic somewhat.
    I do agree with what you're saying, the amen has been rinsed pretty hard for a long long time now, but I can't say that it's not got life left in it still, people still do stuff with old Roland drum machines and can still make them sound fresh, regardless of what has come before.

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Tim! What are you doing here? Is nowhere safe from your tendrils?
    Hahaha, fancy seeing you here mate!
    I used to lurk on here reading the really big juke topic on here and this place seems like a really good place for honest music discussion so I thought I'd throw my hat and post some jungle.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Hi Tim,
    I thought the tunes you posted were technically bang on, the breaks sounded great but the tunes themselves sounded like B sides, not enough tune going on, not enough sampling or music to go with the breakage.
    definitely on the lower steps of the pyramid to my ears, the only one I can remember today (I listened yesterday) was "Dwarde & Tim Reaper - untitled", prob just cos it was so fierce and reminded me a bit of Bass II Dark.
    Ricky Force tunes have been posted in the running Jungle thread a couple of months back.
    I agree with Trillhouse I can't see where it can go really.
    Although that said i'd rather listen to these tunes than Bay B Kane's new offerings or those Marc Mac jungle bits that came out a year or so ago.
    I must qualify these statements by saying that Jungle is still my favourite music genre ever and there aren't many releases from that era that I haven't heard.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I thought the tunes you posted were technically bang on, the breaks sounded great but the tunes themselves sounded like B sides, not enough tune going on, not enough sampling or music to go with the breakage.
    definitely on the lower steps of the pyramid to my ears, the only one I can remember today (I listened yesterday) was "Dwarde & Tim Reaper - untitled", prob just cos it was so fierce and reminded me a bit of Bass II Dark.
    Ricky Force tunes have been posted in the running Jungle thread a couple of months back.
    I agree with Trillhouse I can't see where it can go really.
    Although that said i'd rather listen to these tunes than Bay B Kane's new offerings or those Marc Mac jungle bits that came out a year or so ago.
    I must qualify these statements by saying that Jungle is still my favourite music genre ever and there aren't many releases from that era that I haven't heard.
    Fair enough man, I'm glad you checked all the tracks and that, I can't fault your opinion on it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    94

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CHI
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    so I do have to agree w/wise that most of these a B side or whatever you wanna call it level, one tier down from the top, BUT: that is still a pretty awesome level. it's also the first post-classic era jungle I've heard (exception: Soundmurderer + SK1, that shit was awesome) that really captures the spirit of the original, as opposed to just being about total amen murderation. also right now it seems there's a shitload of jungle-influenced-but-not-jungle music around, from juke/jungle to jungly bits sneaking into various post-dubstep scenes and tbh I don't like any of it, it only ever makes me want to listen to actual jungle, the same way I imagine squarepusher or spring heel jack or whoever made people want to listen to the real thing back then, tho I dunno for sure as I wasn't there. anyway, I say keep making tunes and if they mostly sound like generic jungle right now so what? generic jungle is awesome. and it's a place to build on. I don't believe all this "no place to go" either. just we can't envision doesn't mean it doesn't exist. fucking most new music is from old dead ends anyway. I feel like this is kind of incoherent, but whatever, I think it's great, I like it way better than any other nuum music I'm hearing in 2013.

    b/c I am kind of a lazy jerk and can't be bothered to spend an hour digging around soundcloud, tim could you write a list of producers (or labels) to be checking on this tip?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CHI
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    also, just in general I'm unsurprised at the general junglistic revival of the last couple years or so that seems to gathering steam lately, it is perfect timing going by the seemingly infallible 20 Year Law of Recycling Trends (which means in 5 years we're unfortunately due for a FB Slim revival)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    340

    Default

    this is wicked stuff!! that X-Nation track has that proper junglist danger-vibe going on. have to agree with Padraig (u.s.) this being "generic jungle but so what!". i'm always after something boundaries breaking and new, but sometimes it's good to listen just good music.

    it's great to hear producers finally learning to make authentic jungle - usually these new oldskool jungle tracks have somehow missed the point, and most of USA/Canadian ragga jungle is terrible.

    i'm one of those people too young to experience original jungle (and not being from UK). now when i start to think it, i'v never really got over it, so there's always been urge to make jungle-type tracks. i even used to make pure jungle back in the days. argh, should i get back doing it?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Oh wow, this thread took a turn, just as I was losing hope haha

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    also right now it seems there's a shitload of jungle-influenced-but-not-jungle music around, from juke/jungle to jungly bits sneaking into various post-dubstep scenes and tbh I don't like any of it, it only ever makes me want to listen to actual jungle, the same way I imagine squarepusher or spring heel jack or whoever made people want to listen to the real thing back then,
    Yeah, I do have to agree with this, as much as I liked the Boxwork, Wheez-ie & Martyn tracks that were posted in that thread, I don't think you can beat the top of the pyramid, like you guys have illustrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    anyway, I say keep making tunes and if they mostly sound like generic jungle right now so what? generic jungle is awesome. and it's a place to build on. I don't believe all this "no place to go" either. just we can't envision doesn't mean it doesn't exist. fucking most new music is from old dead ends anyway. I feel like this is kind of incoherent, but whatever, I think it's great, I like it way better than any other nuum music I'm hearing in 2013.
    Words to live by!

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    b/c I am kind of a lazy jerk and can't be bothered to spend an hour digging around soundcloud, tim could you write a list of producers (or labels) to be checking on this tip?
    Producers? Try the ones I've got in the post (added a few more that I forgot to post examples of)
    http://soundcloud.com/dwarde
    http://soundcloud.com/kidlib
    http://soundcloud.com/tim-reaper
    http://soundcloud.com/rickyforce
    http://soundcloud.com/x-nation
    http://soundcloud.com/dj-vocoda
    http://soundcloud.com/nebulasciwax
    http://soundcloud.com/percussive-p
    http://soundcloud.com/sektion63
    http://soundcloud.com/mr-sensi (he doesn't have anything on there but keep an eye on the name)

    Quote Originally Posted by gremino View Post
    argh, should i get back doing it?
    I'll be willing to collab with you, if you'd like.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    340

    Default

    sent you PM Tim Reaper!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Short but quite tantalising snippet of a Flava D grimey-jungle track
    https://soundcloud.com/flava_d/subskull-preview

    In that Butterz birthday set she did she played loads of funky (including Roska's sqwark i think) but really sped up to mix in with the the grime, and i think you can hear that sort of rollage here too.
    Last edited by Benny B; 11-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    nice tune, got a link to that Butterz set?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    nice tune, got a link to that Butterz set?
    http://www.rbmaradio.com/shows/flava...tterz-is-three

    seem to remember it starts off wit a couple of dodgy mixes before it gets going.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •