Japandorf

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this could just go in music 2013 or the krautrock thread but fuck it this is my favorite new record of 2013 (tho technically not quite new since it was recorded before Klaus Dinger's death) and I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the usual internet hot spots, so here's its own thread. full of full-on motorik guitar jams, slower mellower motorik jams, motorik pop and even an impossibly endearing duet ballad with his girlfriend. kind of halfway in between neu and la dusseldorf, but with modern production, which obviously isn't better than Conny Plank's 70s production, but really good in its own way, the drums sound fucking cool. actually you know what, this guy's review does it way more justice than I'll be able to.

I challenge anyone not to watch this video and not tear just up a little
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7c0A5_B42Hc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also since I'm creating RIP threads why not make this an ode to Klaus Dinger, the greatest monomaniacal I will only play one beat weirdo visionary supreme of all time.

florian's pasty lederhosenoveralls flute dork thing, rother's typical laid back early 70s longhair dude, KD in full-on flowing shiny white (that shirt!) indoor sunglasses mystical deutsch guru mode...this video is why the internet exists
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O8Y_-ZLGW1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if anyone has not heard the whole 1971 Bremen bootleg of the Klaus/Florian/Michael Rother Kraftwerk lineup please go d/l it immediately. i guarantee it's better than whatever you're listening to right now.

and also, seriously, Japandorf is awesome. Klaus Dinger für immer.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I didn't know Dinger and Rother were ever in Kraftwerk. You got a link for that set? Because krautrock is floating my boat right now. I did some googling but all the links I found were dead :(