mainstreaming of VICE // VICE mainstream

muser

hah oh oops! I actually thought that might have been a link to the real article by vice (didn't check if it exists).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Prih much.

vice.jpg

Comment I just read on FB about an "article" on how diets are a capitalist conspiracy: "I swear if I continued following Vice I'd be fucking alt right by now."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
From what I've seen lately, sub-Buzzfeed wokeness-by-numbers with added drug stories to remind you that they're still edgy. The ratio of fun to finger-wagging is asymptotically approaching zero.

Leo

admit it, you're both just getting old. no longer of the vice target demographic, kids who read it now probably love the fact that you think it's passe.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I listen to Radio 3 and my main interest is foraging mushrooms. I don't think I've ever been part of the VICE target demographic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How old do you think I am? I mean I probably am out of Vice's target demographic, but I'm not that old.

I dunno mate - bit younger than me? I'm 38.

I wonder how the remaining readership is split between hip 20-year-olds and people of my age who've been reading it since they were 20.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just wonder if Gavin McInnes is such a wanker that he puts people off anything he was even tangentially involved with at one time in the past.

Leo

damn right! now get off my lawn!!

haven't done the research by I imagine the vice demo is high school/college, maybe some early 20s but most likely 15-20 years old. we think it's boring, dumb and stuck in a rut (which, of course, it is) but for a 16 year old who has never stolen a car, done meth or been in a gang, it's still probably pretty eye opening and awesome.

other_life

bioconfused
15-25 year olds are literally too woke/internet communist for vice in the current year, even in 2014 it was that way

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
we think it's boring, dumb and stuck in a rut (which, of course, it is) but for a 16 year old who has never stolen a car, done meth or been in a gang, it's still probably pretty eye opening and awesome.

I love the implication that, of course, it goes without saying, all of us have done all those things in our now-distant youth.

version

End of an Era.

Vice plans to lay off hundreds of employees next week and stop publishing on Vice.com, according to a memo sent to staffers by Bruce Dixon, the Vice Media chief.