NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

huffafc

Mumler
98% of grime, all of garage (and jungle obv) I heard after the fact, out of chronological order. so I get it's different from people who were recording pirate sets every week. don't think that makes my take less valid, just different. very few people into krautrock were actually in Germany in the early 70s either.

yeah, not at all less valid. i wasn't making a value judgment either way. it was more trying to identify this general feeling, that i think i share with several others i know stateside who are nuum fans, that having experienced the music at a distance (both in space and time) 'the big hits' whether from 92 or 02 - the tracks that dominated the radio, that everyone was talking about - don't have that same inherent presence in my memory, or any kind of pavlovian pleasure response. whereas, when it comes to the neptunes and timbaland, for example, i would definitely feel a connection to 'the hits' cause i heard them so much when they were released and shared that experience with everyone around me. (i didn't really know anyone listening to grime in 04 either - though i was incessantly on soulseek and limewire looking for it, usually unsuccessfully)

sometimes i think grime doesnt get purer than oddz/eastwood.

yeah, oddz/eastwood (and black ops, as well) feel kind of like the hardcore punk of grime. black ops has always been the black flag of grime to me...:)

also, huge props to benny for this, it's awesome, very excited to see the top 5.

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
I'd love to see a Grime top 30, wouldn't be able to contribute though since I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to Grime.

i'm down for voting in a grime top 30, though depending on how this poll turns out that may be redundant?

i think part of the reason i didn't vote in this is because i don't even know how to begin comparing, say, 'do you mind' to 'ice rink' to 'qawwali'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Hadn't heard that Tubby remix of Eskimo before, like it a lot.
You can add me to the list of people who slightly prefer In The Morning to Do You Mind. It wouldn't have felt quite right if Do You mind hadn't made the list somewhere though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Never really thought of Qawwali as a personal fave, but listening to is now for the first time in ages and yeah it is kind of amazing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm hoping that the Ill Blu remix of Pull It is the highest funky entry. Will seem wrong if Ill Blu don't get any coverage at all in this poll.

As for Ruff Sqwad, I'd imagine their vote was split between 4-5 different tracks, hence the fact they haven't appeared. I went for ru double f, others went for functions on the low or anna etc. But they could still be top five.

Benny Bunter

5) Wiley - Wot Do U Call It?/Igloo

wiely.jpg

original video
http://www.muzu.tv/wiley-xl/wot-do-u-call-it-music-video/1066012/

Igloo (instrumental)

2 Igloo remixes incl. Devil Mix

Dirty Doogz & Crazy Titch slewing Wiley

Durrty Goodz Wiley Igloo diss taken from Boyz In The Hood Crew set

Igloo backwards

4x4 mix

Benny Bunter

never knew about the fantastic B-side to Wot Do You Call It til now either! Why wasn't this on 'Treddin' on thin ice'?

Wiley - Problems

continuum

smugpolice
Glad Igloo has a high placing. Got sent the following audio when ordering a Grime DVD off eBay years ago. Has loads of great sound effects all over it and some great MCing the more you listen. Starts off with loads of MCs ripping the shit out of Wiley over Igloo.

rubberdingyrapids

never been sure about wot do u call it, though i do like the igloo riddim. but i suppose the title has been (over)used so many times every time we hear some new permutation of the london sound so it was inevitable.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
30) El-B feat. Juiceman - Buck & Bury
29) Sticky feat. Ms Dynamite - Booo!
28) Skream - Midnight Request Line
27) Wiley - Crash Bandicoot freestyle
26) Benga & Coki - Night
25) The Endz - Are you really from da endz?
24) Rebound X - Rhythm & Gash
23) B-15 Project feat. Crissy D & Lady G - Girls like us
22) Digital Mystikz - Anti war dub
21) Hard House Banton - Siren
20) Roll Deep - When I'm Ere
19) Crazy Cousinz - Inflation
18) Digital Mystikz - Neverland
17) Apple - Mr Bean
16) Stush - Dollar Sign
15) Egypt - In The Morning (Let Your Love Come In)
14) Zed Bias feat. Nicky Prince & MC Rumpus - Neighbourhood
13) Sweet Female Attitude - Flowers
12) Danny Weed - Creeper
11) Wiley - Ice Rink
10) T2 feat. Jodie Aysha - Heartbroken
09) Musical Mob - Pulse X
08) Pinch - Qawwali
07) Crazy Cousinz feat. Kyla - Do you mind?
06) Wiley - Eskimo
05) Wiley - Wot Do U Call It?/Igloo
04)
03)
02)
01)

Getting tight

I luv U, Classic Deluxe, Joyride, Jon e Cash, Wonder, Loefah, Mad One, EL-B, Wookie, Burial

tense

luka

eskimo would be my number 1 for what its worth. just so danceable apart from anything else.