NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Benny Bunter

Always felt Night was just ok-ish.
Four greats out of five still a pretty good hit rate though.

Again didn't vote for it but Night is probably the best tune Coki or Benga have ever been involved in. Might even have been a bigger crossover anthem than MRL was. It was quite bemusing to learn it was getting played by the nascent UK funky scene in Ayia Napa!

delighted to see this next one make it...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Excited to see the results now, hopefully will provoke some interesting discussion!

Big up Benny once again for taking the time to collate the votes and chase lazy cunts like me (even if in vain).

All great tunes so far - even 'Night', which at the time I was nonplussed by, really was a huge tune. A unique, anthemic, cheesy riff + dirty sub-bass, arguably about as nuum as dubstep had got in those days.

'Crash Bandicoot Freestyle' is amazing, no doubt Wiley will be popping up a lot in this poll.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ain't no set time I have my tea at

I'm no Wiley expert but I think that is the best I've heard him outside of sets and radio freestyles (the Westwood freestyle with 1 million views springs to mind) - its just so relentless, breathtaking because he doesn't seem to take a breath. The Night Bus freestyle from War Report mixtape is another example of him going off for about 4 minutes straight.

Benny Bunter

Ain't no set time I have my tea at

I'm no Wiley expert but I think that is the best I've heard him outside of sets and radio freestyles (the Westwood freestyle with 1 million views springs to mind) - its just so relentless, breathtaking because he doesn't seem to take a breath. The Night Bus freestyle from War Report mixtape is another example of him going off for about 4 minutes straight.

If you listen closely you can hear its edited together from 3 or 4 sections. But yeah this is my favourite bit of MCing by anyone ever I think. Discovering Wiley (and grime) for the first time with that Tunnel Vision CD was an absolute joy - I only knew his name from the boy in da corner guest spot, so hearing Wiley opened up a whole new world for me. This is my fave Wiley tune for that reason and the fact it still makes me laugh when I hear it 6 years later.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Never really rated Night. Rinsed. Would have been no chart without Endz though.

Some of the them Wiley bars were bigger on All in One war dub imo but it's spiting hairs

datwun

Oh wow, I actually put Buck & Bury right at no.1... I wonder if that tilted it towards being included! I know it's a bit of an obvious tune, but the drums are absolutely fucked and I actually got into Dubstep way late in the game via the Roots of Dubstep comp, and that was the tune which really made me take notice.

Funny that MRL and Night have both already showed up, when they're probably the single two largest dubstep tunes ever, at least in terms of broader crossover appeal. With that being the case I wonder if much dubstep made the list at all, or if it's gonna be mostly grime...

continuum

smugpolice
Again didn't vote for it but Night is probably the best tune Coki or Benga have ever been involved in. Might even have been a bigger crossover anthem than MRL was. It was quite bemusing to learn it was getting played by the nascent UK funky scene in Ayia Napa!

Was massive in the Bassline scene too around 2007 / 2008

e/y

But yeah this is my favourite bit of MCing by anyone ever I think. Discovering Wiley (and grime) for the first time with that Tunnel Vision CD was an absolute joy - I only knew his name from the boy in da corner guest spot, so hearing Wiley opened up a whole new world for me. This is my fave Wiley tune for that reason and the fact it still makes me laugh when I hear it 6 years later.

same

I'm not fond of the Crash Bandicoot riddim though agree it includes some of Wiley's best lyrics. I prefer hearing them on this
As for Night... when this dropped round about Winter 06/07 it was so infectious because it was very different from what we were used to in dubstep- it could pass for a pitched up techno record if those kind of DJ's were willing to put up with the 'intricate' (their emphasis) drum pattern. And as far as I know Night still hasn't inspired many, if any copycat imitations. Sadly after a few months of repetition it just doesn't sound the same to me. But for the first few weeks it was like- what is that Hatcha dubplate? You couldn't have guessed who the producer was. Then a few months later it was the same sotry with Skreams 'Roots Dyed dark' remix.

Benny Bunter

24) Rebound X - Rhythm & Gash

rebound-x-vinyl.jpg

Benny Bunter

Rhythm N Gash versions

Tempa T

Skepta & JME - Spaceship freestyle

Skepta @ Cargo

Spyro remix

I Double L

President T

datwun

It's a shame, cause apart from the big charting tunes (Oi, Pow etc) and some of the artists which even middle class indie kids in north west London clocked (JME, Dizzee) I totally missed grime and all the famous freestyles. To my very uninformed ears JME & Skepta on Spaceship riddim's one of the best out there.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Don't think I put any Wiley freestyles in my ballot. I'd put Nightbus Dubplate, Sinner freestyle, WD25, the ten minute Westwood one above Crash Bandicoot tbh

Benny Bunter

23) B-15 Project feat. Crissy D & Lady G - Girls like us

girlslikeus.jpg

original video

Live on top of the pops

Artful Dodger remix (THIS IS THE ONE)

Zed Bias remix

craner

Beast of Burden
Very, very high on mine. If you look carefully at the cover you'll see Theresa 'Not the Home Secretary' May.