Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Wiley as an MC never got any better than that did he? On record at least. Always loved the ultra minimal riddim too which he probably made in 5 minutes, but never heard any other MCs on it, anyone?

Default 26) Benga & Coki - Night

[IMG] photo night.jpg[/IMG]

Always felt Night was just ok-ish.
    Four greats out of five still a pretty good hit rate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    [IMG] photo WileyWEB.jpg[/IMG]

I think I had this at number 1 or 2. I also know all the words ...

Exchange on a youtube vid for Midnight Request Line:

"Minimalistic? clearly not listening to all the odd sounds he inervates together and makes such a wonderful song 1. guns shooting 2. explosions 3. echoes 4. snapping 5. clapping 6. clocks ticking 7. drums 8. Bass 9. sound machine 10. etc... you tell me if that sounds minimalistic"

"minimalistic isn't an insult you cunt"

I honestly have no idea at all what the top ten for this will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    Always felt Night was just ok-ish.
    Four greats out of five still a pretty good hit rate though.
    Again didn't vote for it but Night is probably the best tune Coki or Benga have ever been involved in. Might even have been a bigger crossover anthem than MRL was. It was quite bemusing to learn it was getting played by the nascent UK funky scene in Ayia Napa!

delighted to see this next one make it...

Default 25) The Endz - Are you really from da endz?

YES.

Excited to see the results now, hopefully will provoke some interesting discussion!

Big up Benny once again for taking the time to collate the votes and chase lazy cunts like me (even if in vain).

All great tunes so far - even 'Night', which at the time I was nonplussed by, really was a huge tune. A unique, anthemic, cheesy riff + dirty sub-bass, arguably about as nuum as dubstep had got in those days.

'Crash Bandicoot Freestyle' is amazing, no doubt Wiley will be popping up a lot in this poll.

Ain't no set time I have my tea at

I'm no Wiley expert but I think that is the best I've heard him outside of sets and radio freestyles (the Westwood freestyle with 1 million views springs to mind) - its just so relentless, breathtaking because he doesn't seem to take a breath. The Night Bus freestyle from War Report mixtape is another example of him going off for about 4 minutes straight.

The first Wiley tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Ain't no set time I have my tea at

I'm no Wiley expert but I think that is the best I've heard him outside of sets and radio freestyles (the Westwood freestyle with 1 million views springs to mind) - its just so relentless, breathtaking because he doesn't seem to take a breath. The Night Bus freestyle from War Report mixtape is another example of him going off for about 4 minutes straight.
    If you listen closely you can hear its edited together from 3 or 4 sections. But yeah this is my favourite bit of MCing by anyone ever I think. Discovering Wiley (and grime) for the first time with that Tunnel Vision CD was an absolute joy - I only knew his name from the boy in da corner guest spot, so hearing Wiley opened up a whole new world for me. This is my fave Wiley tune for that reason and the fact it still makes me laugh when I hear it 6 years later.

Never really rated Night. Rinsed. Would have been no chart without Endz though.

Some of the them Wiley bars were bigger on All in One war dub imo but it's spiting hairs

Oh wow, I actually put Buck & Bury right at no.1... I wonder if that tilted it towards being included! I know it's a bit of an obvious tune, but the drums are absolutely fucked and I actually got into Dubstep way late in the game via the Roots of Dubstep comp, and that was the tune which really made me take notice.

Funny that MRL and Night have both already showed up, when they're probably the single two largest dubstep tunes ever, at least in terms of broader crossover appeal. With that being the case I wonder if much dubstep made the list at all, or if it's gonna be mostly grime...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Again didn't vote for it but Night is probably the best tune Coki or Benga have ever been involved in. Might even have been a bigger crossover anthem than MRL was. It was quite bemusing to learn it was getting played by the nascent UK funky scene in Ayia Napa!
    Was massive in the Bassline scene too around 2007 / 2008