Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    But yeah this is my favourite bit of MCing by anyone ever I think. Discovering Wiley (and grime) for the first time with that Tunnel Vision CD was an absolute joy - I only knew his name from the boy in da corner guest spot, so hearing Wiley opened up a whole new world for me. This is my fave Wiley tune for that reason and the fact it still makes me laugh when I hear it 6 years later.
    same
    Quote Originally Posted by juanroberto View Post
    how many threads have you had shut down?

I'm not fond of the Crash Bandicoot riddim though agree it includes some of Wiley's best lyrics. I prefer hearing them on this

As for Night... when this dropped round about Winter 06/07 it was so infectious because it was very different from what we were used to in dubstep- it could pass for a pitched up techno record if those kind of DJ's were willing to put up with the 'intricate' (their emphasis) drum pattern. And as far as I know Night still hasn't inspired many, if any copycat imitations. Sadly after a few months of repetition it just doesn't sound the same to me. But for the first few weeks it was like- what is that Hatcha dubplate? You couldn't have guessed who the producer was. Then a few months later it was the same sotry with Skreams 'Roots Dyed dark' remix.

Default 24) Rebound X - Rhythm & Gash

Rhythm N Gash versions

Tempa T

Skepta & JME - Spaceship freestyle

Skepta @ Cargo

Spyro remix

I Double L

President T

It's a shame, cause apart from the big charting tunes (Oi, Pow etc) and some of the artists which even middle class indie kids in north west London clocked (JME, Dizzee) I totally missed grime and all the famous freestyles. To my very uninformed ears JME & Skepta on Spaceship riddim's one of the best out there.

Don't think I put any Wiley freestyles in my ballot. I'd put Nightbus Dubplate, Sinner freestyle, WD25, the ten minute Westwood one above Crash Bandicoot tbh

one more before I go to work, very high in my own list.

Default 23) B-15 Project feat. Crissy D & Lady G - Girls like us

original video

Live on top of the pops

Artful Dodger remix (THIS IS THE ONE)

Zed Bias remix

Very, very high on mine. If you look carefully at the cover you'll see Theresa 'Not the Home Secretary' May.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Very, very high on mine. If you look carefully at the cover you'll see Theresa 'Not the Home Secretary' May.
    no way lmao which 1 is she

still aint forget her "feral youth" comments during d riots

interesting list so far.

Artful Dodger remix (THIS IS THE ONE)
    So true

In a way, "Endz" is kind of a more 'rougher' version of "Oh No", but it's SO perfect.

Admittedly I've never heard B-15 Project before, but this song's pretty good. I'm trying to remember if my list had ENOUGH Garage on it, but I think I tended to prefer songs just before 2000 so I lose out on a few picks.

Edit: Also, this Radio version of Tempz on RBX: is traumatically good. Anyone remember the live set it's from?
    Last edited by CrowleyHead; 30-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.

interesting how a number of people chose not to vote for some of the big tunes because they thought everyone else would, or they wanted to highlight more underground stuff. i guess there's always a question of perspective on something like this (or end-of-year lists): what does "top" tracks mean? are you being asked to list the "best" tunes, the "biggest" ones, or perhaps your "favorite" ones? those could be three very different sets of selections.

The 'big' are coming out on top so far anyway. Dissensus in line with the consensus

Quote Originally Posted by sectionfive View Post
    the big are all coming out on top so far. dissensus in line with consensus
    I find that really interesting. It might be that there's a really long tail going on here, and the only stuff we agree on at all is the big stuff.

Or, the big stuff is all in the 20s and as we go up the charts it's just radio rips of Wiley's nan which only dissensus knows but all of dissensus loves.