NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

CrowleyHead

In a way, "Endz" is kind of a more 'rougher' version of "Oh No", but it's SO perfect.

Admittedly I've never heard B-15 Project before, but this song's pretty good. I'm trying to remember if my list had ENOUGH Garage on it, but I think I tended to prefer songs just before 2000 so I lose out on a few picks.

Edit: Also, this Radio version of Tempz on RBX: is traumatically good. Anyone remember the live set it's from?

Last edited:

Leo

interesting how a number of people chose not to vote for some of the big tunes because they thought everyone else would, or they wanted to highlight more underground stuff. i guess there's always a question of perspective on something like this (or end-of-year lists): what does "top" tracks mean? are you being asked to list the "best" tunes, the "biggest" ones, or perhaps your "favorite" ones? those could be three very different sets of selections.

hucks

Your Message Here
the big are all coming out on top so far. dissensus in line with consensus

I find that really interesting. It might be that there's a really long tail going on here, and the only stuff we agree on at all is the big stuff.

Or, the big stuff is all in the 20s and as we go up the charts it's just radio rips of Wiley's nan which only dissensus knows but all of dissensus loves.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Don't think I put any Wiley freestyles in my ballot. I'd put Nightbus Dubplate, Sinner freestyle, WD25, the ten minute Westwood one above Crash Bandicoot tbh

Nightbus, WD25 >> Crash Bandicoot, definitely. I'm also partial to TV 4 Intro ("I'm Wenger like Arsene" among others). haven't listened to the Westwood in a while but I remember it being a best of Tunnel Vision bars, basically.

if I was making a best of Wiley list at least 40% of it would come from Tunnel Vision but I wound up not voting for any TV tunes (except Nan I Am London) here cos by 06 grime, sonically at least, had gotten a lot closer to rap than nuum really. my list was still full of Wiley, either solo or w/RD but it's all 2001-5. in general my list, which was ~85% grime, is tilted way more heavily (like most peoples I'd guess) towards 2000 than 2010. I think the only post-06 grime tune I voted for was Boy Off Da Ting.

but anyway, nothing embarrassing so far. the only one I voted for was R n G, tho Are You From The Endz was one of my last tunes out. kinda surprised at B-15, it's OK but IMO there's literally dozens of superior post-00 UKG tunes.

padraig (u.s.)

the only stuff we agree on at all is the big stuff

as long as DJ Oddz makes it in at least once I'll be satisfied. if that doesn't happen then this was all a waste of time.

also, before I get, once again big up + maximum thanks to Benny for doing all the work.

CrowleyHead

It depends on what happens really.

That said, if Do You Mind doesn't pop up at any point, I'll probably spend the next month on twitter haranguing the rest of the world to listen to that song, because I'll have given up on you lot...

Benny Bunter

kinda surprised at B-15, it's OK but IMO there's literally dozens of superior post-00 UKG tunes.

I'm not really surprised, its almost perfect garage pop and was a bona fide chart hit. Fair enough, it could easily have come from '99, theres nothing particularly noughties about it, but still...The ascending xylo riff on the Artful Dodger remix is one of the loveliest sounds in all of dance music. Would have shook my head if it hadn't made it.

And now for something completely different...

Benny Bunter

22) Digital Mystikz - Anti war dub

malaantiwar.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That and MRL would probably be the best-known tracks of golden age dubstep I'd say

Yeah, not sure what if any more dubstep we're going to see now. Maybe some Kode 9, maybe Qawwali as a curveball but Request Line and Anti-War Dub were the obvious favourites...

Classic tunes, anyway.

padraig (u.s.)

Would have shook my head if it hadn't made it

if I made an all top UKG 100 that wouldn't be on it. wouldn't even be close. it's not bad, just totally unremarkable in the face of many, many highly superior UKG tunes. but hey, if other people like it, great. that's why we all submitted ballots.

only voted for one dubstep track (Mystikal Warrior by Appleblim)

Benny Bunter

if I made an all top UKG 100 that wouldn't be on it. wouldn't even be close. it's not bad, just totally unremarkable in the face of many, many highly superior UKG tunes. but hey, if other people like it, great. that's why we all submitted ballots.
)

Depends how you feel about the poppier end of 2step really of which there was loads and which Artful Dodger were geniuses at. How do you feel about Craig David's Bo Selecta for example? I wanted to vote for that but its from '99. This chart needed something bubbly.