NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

denoir

When it comes to poppy 2-step, I find Girls Like Us very distinctive - maybe it's the combiantion of r&b/ragga vocal with a loungey vibe which makes it stand out. Super-catchy pop song anyway.

Re: Siren quite a surprise to see it this high, curious how many funky tunes made it to top20. This EP must be one of the strongest funky releases ever (strictly bangers), I would've voted for Reign though. Also love the juicy bassline of "The Music" - that one was actually the intro tune of my first ever promo mixtape :)

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Would be surprised if those were the highest skream & mala tunes.

Surely something from big Apple, hessle, horsepower to come. Loefah will probably be king of that breed, though there could be Pinch upset. Burial to top the Hyperdub entries

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That B15 project tune is so classic, instant vibes in the club when that one drops.

TBH I don't think there'll be many surprises in the top 30, when I was trying to assemble a list of candidates I was basically defaulting to the popular anthems - and I suppose there are a number of reasons why you do that. The fact that you must reckon more people are likely to vote for those tunes, therefore making your vote more relevant, for one. But also I just think the biggest tunes are often, in some sense at least, the best tunes... or at least the transcendent tunes that stick out from the pack.

I think 'Reign' is better than 'Sirens' but the latter is still a classic so (and denoir is right about 'The Music' too, brilliant tune, what an EP that was!)

Benny Bunter

Siren EP is from that short time when there were still vinyl releases and white labels - Lil Silva's Seasons, Funky Pulse & Different EPs, Yellowtail, Fuzzy Logik's bangers n mash EPs, Invasion records, Apple, African Warrior, Perempay & Dee, Roska's EPs, Ill Blu...and that was about it. Pretty soon after you had to make the switch to mp3s to keep up with funky (and even these were quite hard to get hold of, so many great unreleased funky tunes).

So yeah, glad to see this tune cos it represents that little golden period as well as anything I can think of.

Also, who knew about this bangin refix of Siren by none other than Sami Sanchez, that actually seems to have been released on Cooly G's label last year! Not me until now...

^ also second the love for Reign from that EP. Who remembers this Mak 10 dubplate special?
http://www.thepurplebay.com/d-double-e-reign-prod-hardhouse-banton/

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Coki & Loefah don't make an appearance in the top 20, for an Appleblim tune to trounce the likes of 'Haunted' or 'Mud' would be very weird. And if you're a vinyl buyer you'll know that the mastering on Coki's tunes can't be touched. Nice & loud.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'd be surprised if Coki & Loefah don't make an appearance in the top 20, for an Appleblim tune to trounce the likes of 'Haunted' or 'Mud' would be very weird. And if you're a vinyl buyer you'll know that the mastering on Coki's tunes can't be touched. Nice & loud.

I reckon Coki and Loe might suffer from split votes - they don't have a single standout tune like Anti-War Dub or Request Line...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Anyway, the countdown so far:

30) El-B feat. Juiceman - Buck & Bury
29) Sticky feat. Ms Dynamite - Booo!
28) Skream - Midnight Request Line
27) Wiley - Crash Bandicoot freestyle
26) Benga & Coki - Night
25) The Endz - Are you really from da endz?
24) Rebound X - Rhythm & Gash
23) B-15 Project feat. Crissy D & Lady G - Girls like us
22) Digital Mystikz - Anti war dub
21) Hard House Banton - Siren

I really hope someone tries to do a mix of all this, preferrably in onrder, when the announcement's done. It'd be, er, interesting.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
AWD is of course awesome but to be honest I don't get why it's Mala's biggest tune. Wouldn't be very far up my Mala top ten. Also I think that Sirens is the first tune from my ballot to make an appearance :)

Benny Bunter

20) Roll Deep - When I'm Ere

rolldeep2.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

It depends on what happens really.

That said, if Do You Mind doesn't pop up at any point, I'll probably spend the next month on twitter haranguing the rest of the world to listen to that song, because I'll have given up on you lot...

i voted that fairly high. just hoping the top ten isnt swamped with ponderous halfstep. glad night made it in - its maybe a bit played out now, but it was totally unlike anything else in dubstep at the time, and kind of a precursor to funky in a way, or dubstep-funky at least with those soca-ish drums, and you can see the influence on people like dismantle. crash bandicoot is a great bit of emceeing but i didnt vote it cos the beat is a bit crappy imo - it is hard to find the perfect combination of great wiley beat/great wiley vocal though. its often one or the other.

viktorvaughn

i voted that fairly high. just hoping the top ten isnt swamped with ponderous halfstep. glad night made it in - its maybe a bit played out now, but it was totally unlike anything else in dubstep at the time, and kind of a precursor to funky in a way, or dubstep-funky at least with those soca-ish drums, and you can see the influence on people like dismantle. crash bandicoot is a great bit of emceeing but i didnt vote it cos the beat is a bit crappy imo - it is hard to find the perfect combination of great wiley beat/great wiley vocal though. its often one or the other.

wish i had voted on this now lol

i don't think the top ten will have much ponderous half step in. deffo some classic ruff sqwad coming up i feel, plus ice rink etc

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i voted that fairly high.

I think everyone voted Do You Mind fairly high :)

Would be surprised if it didn't do quite well.

Re Anti War Dub, I think the reason it's become so iconic is that it isn't just a great tune, it also kind of encapsulated what was so good about the whole scene at the time, whereas the later stuff was starting to feel a bit like a voice in the wilderness.

Benny Bunter

Inflation was the highest ranking funky tune in my list. Just the way it builds and builds, that 5 snare pattern rolling out into infinity, huge sub underneath, then the xylophones, flutes, strings upping the drama...woooh!

(best producer tag ever too)