NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Wow I'm just realising how many obvious tunes I've forgotten to put on my list.
It's looking great so far though, very well documented list of the relevant tunes.

Benny Bunter

18) Digital Mystikz - Neverland

never.jpeg

datwun

Do You Mind was high up my list as well, looks like it's gonna do pretty well!

Also - I'll be very disappointed if Heartbroken doesn't make the top ten, although that's aboute the only bassline track I can see charting at all, unfortunately :(

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
how you feel about the poppier end of 2step

it's def not my favorite kind of ukg but there's still loads of great 2step pop that I love. gotta get thru this was one of my last tunes cut. flowers too. as far as artful dodger, I like movin too fast and woman trouble. I just think the b15 isn't particularly unique or great 2step pop. but if everyone else thinks it's a classic that's cool, we can just agree to disagree.

I'll be very disappointed if Heartbroken doesn't make the top ten

that's one of the only bassline tracks I voted for

wise

bare BARE BONES
B15 is all you could want from that end of the spectrum. That organ.

I love Flowers but that Artful Dodger mix of B15 is unbeatable

surprised at all the Night haters, such a simple tune but so good, love those ones that cross genres

craner

Beast of Burden
it will be a bit of a head scratcher if b15 project are in there and something like SFA's flowers isnt

I don't agree. 'Flowers' was just that bit too saccharine, part of its charm but also an irritant factor. The later Artful Dodger tracks were too self-consciously R&B-styled songs and 'Woman Trouble' was particularly odorous, with a big whiff of over-used Lynx deoderant and stained Calvin Klein pants about it. 'Girls Like Us' may not (now) sound as supple or lovely as your personal favorite Y2K garage pop (one of mine is Nu-Birth's 'Can't Stop') but I voted for it and rate it highly because of 1) its glorious London Pirate ubiquity throughout the spring, summer and autumn of 2000, 2-Step's final fling 2) its un-subtle but suitable summation of the Feminine Pressure thesis, and 3) a kind of indefinable atmospheric quality that it has, in the synths and the melody and vocals, that may be site and time specific (see point 1) but produces tingles 10+ years on for some of us. I should say, though, that even I don't have faith in my musical taste. If DJ Pied Piper and the Masters of Ceremonies are not in the Top 10, I will consider the poll to be void.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
'Flowers' was just that bit too saccharine...

couldn't disagree more but if this poll motivates you to write impassioned craner elegiacs for 13 yr old 2step tunes then it has proven its worth

also I'm sure not having experienced garage (or any of this music) 1st hand in the moment will make my voting different from those who have

Benny Bunter

Interview with Apple in which he chastises people for biting his beats

...which seems a bit rich when you hear this
http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Bugz+in+the+Attic+Dkd+-+Future+Rage

I remember this was one of the first funky tunes I ever heard on a Marcus Nasty show and thinking it sounded like a clattering repetitive mess. I love it now and can see how it was a crucial tune but I still didn't vote for it. Seem to remember Logan Sama saying on here that it was originally built as a grime riddim which sounds about right.

denoir

Mr Bean?? I guess people didn't vote for Siegalizer as it seemed "too obvious"

Surely there must be more funky tunes to come, at least Do You Mind, In The Morning and Seasons

So far the Crazy Cousins track is the only one I would consider controversial, haven't heard it before but it just doesn't seem worthy of making the cut.

How is it possible for Rebound X to make riddim & gash and then disappear off the face of the earth?

Benny Bunter

Mr Bean?? I guess people didn't vote for Siegalizer as it seemed "too obvious"

Mr Bean came first before siegalizer (is it the first ever uk funky-proper release?) and it was repressed so i guess more people bought copies of it. I never did get a copy of siegalizer but pretty much all his tunes did the same job anyway, I see them as interchangeable.

rubberdingyrapids

i voted siegelizer. both are absolutely essential though. i mean, those tunes just ARE funky.

the b15 single is great, and i can see why people like it more than flowers, here at least, its more of a roller, bit more understated and rougher around the edges then something like flowers, its got less of an obviousness about it. but then i still prefer flowers to a tune like moving too fast - MTF is just a bit weedy whereas flowers just grabs you by the throat. when it came out i hated it for ages but when i hear it now, it sounds like perfect ukg pop, and not at all irritating. wonder if sweet like chocolate will be in this chart.

thanks to benny for doing this btw - im quite excited to see where we end up!