Raspberry Pi/Arduino ?

sufi

lala
anyone had a go on any of these cute little boards?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1171 (not necessarily mashed up together)
arduinopi.jpg

image may actually be a bit bigger than life size!

i'm enchanted

connect_icut

If I wasn't so cack-handed, I think it might be possible to use this stuff to make the MIDI controller of my dreams. As it is, I build Max patches to mirror my controller. But if it could be the other way around...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I really like the fact that these are offering some sort of accessible alternative to the app-driven closed-box nature of modern technology and making it easy and cheap for people to start messing around with the stuff under the hood. I think that from a social point of view, making it easier to understand technology as something you hack and reprogramme and modify rather than just something that you use for its predefined corporate-approved purpose is really valuable.

Trillhouse

I wish I knew what this thread is about.

I don't know much about the Arduino, but very basically, they're both small computers. The Arduino is a microcontroller, so you program it to do stuff, but the Pi can run a slimed down linux OS, apps and is more like a desktop computer. You can use it to learn programming, or you can just install one of the open source ready made systems.

For example, I have Pi which runs Raspbmc (a version of XBMC) that I use as a networked HD mediacenter. So all my movies, music, photos etc on my networked hard drive can be played in full HD on my tv, and through my hifi. It also connects to the internet, so it makes all the online media content available as well.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
I don't know much about the Arduino, but very basically, they're both small computers. The Arduino is a microcontroller, so you program it to do stuff, but the Pi can run a slimed down linux OS, apps and is more like a desktop computer. You can use it to learn programming, or you can just install one of the open source ready made systems.

For example, I have Pi which runs Raspbmc (a version of XBMC) that I use as a networked HD mediacenter. So all my movies, music, photos etc on my networked hard drive can be played in full HD on my tv, and through my hifi. It also connects to the internet, so it makes all the online media content available as well.

OK thanks. I won't lie to you, I'm still fairly baffled... as in I genuinely don't know what I'm looking at in the first post. Does that thing connect to something?

I feel like my mum lol.

connect_icut

The other thing I would love to do with this stuff and Max/MSP would be building hardware instruments/guitar pedals that did crazy granular synthesis and randomly modulated shit. Not sure if that's possible. I know there are people building MIDI controllers for Max patches, though. Shit, I wish I had the skillz/time to do stuff like that.