Brood 2013

Leo

i'm sure you've read about the crazy 17-year cycle invasion of the cicadas that's starting here in the northeast US. i thought the leader in last week's economist was good:

OVER the next few weeks billions of cicada grubs will awake from 17 years of subterranean slumber and emerge into the bright sunshine of America’s mid-Atlantic states. Their strange cycle has attracted the attention of journalists all over the country. The males will travel in vast swarms, create a tremendous racket in the hope of wooing a mate, make love frantically and then die, unlamented. The cicadas will do the same—the only difference being they will leave behind not unfinished novels but eggs that will hatch in another 17 years.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...look-cicadas-when-they-next-return-brood-2030

Leo

no sign of them where i live, although this is an urban area without a lot of grass (non-paved area). a friend who lives further out of the city had quite a few in her yard, said her cat already eat a few.

i hesitate to say it's much ado about nothing, the season is just starting and the worse could be yet to come.

Leo

funny, my friend just posted this on facebook:

I think I may be permanently scarred by the 200,000 dead cicadas I just walked over to get to the train station. #ick